• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watch enthusiasts and leather strap questions

ducatiti

Reaction score
So majority of us here condition and polish our shoes out of the box.

Do you fellow watch enthusiasts out there do the same for your new leather straps. I have various OEM calf and gator straps but tend to condition them after six months or so to keep them hydrated, and even use saphir reptan for exotic skin straps.

That being said, I just purchased another OEM Omega brown strap. It feels and looks kind of dried but don’t want to ruin the matte finish by applying Renovateur.

What do you guys do? Condition now or wait?

ThatGuy

Reaction score
I don't give a flying beep about watch straps. I wear them and toss them out when they begin to look cheap/ show age.

ducatiti

Reaction score
I don't give a flying beep about watch straps. I wear them and toss them out when they begin to look cheap/ show age.
That's great but I'm tend to take care of them as some cost than my shoes that will outlive me. Here is one I've had for four years now... Paid $580 for the strap alone, and wouldn't want to throw that away :)

IMG_3615.jpg

ThatGuy

Reaction score
That's great but I'm tend to take care of them as some cost than my shoes that will outlive me. Here is one I've had for four years now... Paid $580 for the strap alone, and wouldn't want to throw that away :)

View attachment 1943685
I know a guy who buys nice watches, removes the straps and puts on the cheapest nastiest leather straps on when he wants to wear it. He's basically the type of person that tries to keep everything new, so most stuff that comes covered in plastic... you know... still has it. So, nah, I wouldn't waste my time on leather products and care for a watch strap.

Woofa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Paging @DavidLane
Perhaps you can help on this question.

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello all! Due to the nature of leather watch straps having direct contact to skin, they do have a limited lifespan. Here are a few things that have helped over the years (in order)

1. Try not to wear the same strap everyday. Allowing the leather to dry overnight away from heat will do a lot to lengthen the lifespan.

2. Don't wear your watch in the water/shower. A few dips in the pool are fine here and there, but continuous exposure to water will shorten its life by half.

3. Nose grease. Gross, but very effective to replenish the oils. I do this once every couple of weeks. In a café if you want to get attention, at home if you want to remain anonymous. If you don't like that, I really like any fat based leather balm. Obenauf's LP, dubbin, Smith's, or straight up neatsfoot oil. A very small amount, don't overdo it.

4. Embrace the patina. Every quality leather will get better with age, and look better (imo) the more you use it. Same leather shown below, one with use, one new:
IMG_0813.jpeg

-DL

Last edited:

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don’t think I’ve ever conditioned any of my straps. My daily is usually something with a bracelet but I do wear something on croc periodically.

I’d think it’s more important to condition the inside of the strap.

I have straps going on 20 years not showing much wear to speak of.

ThatGuy

Reaction score
Hello all! Due to the nature of leather watch straps having direct contact to skin, they do have a limited lifespan. Here are a few things that have helped over the years (in order)

1. Try not to wear the same strap everyday. Allowing the leather to dry overnight away from heat will do a lot to lengthen the lifespan.

2. Don't wear your watch in the water/shower. A few dips in the pool are fine here and there, but continuous exposure to water will shorten its life by half.

3. Nose grease. Gross, but very effective to replenish the oils. I do this once every couple of weeks. In a café if you want to get attention, at home if you want to remain anonymous. If you don't like that, I really like any fat based leather balm. Obenauf's LP, dubbin, Smith's, or straight up neatsfoot oil. A very small amount, don't overdo it.

4. Embrace the patina. Every quality leather will get better with age, and look better (imo) the more you use it. Same leather shown below, one with use, one new:
View attachment 1943863
-DL
This Nose Grease you speak of is so incredibly awesome.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics