• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage and other shopping in Lisbon?

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd better post this in MC as well:

Leaving for three weeks in twelve hours. With the little wife.

We're staying at some hotel called Eden, which is smack in the middle of town, for the first four or five days, and we'll then decide on excursions by train or rental car.

I've never been to Portugal before, and beyond general knowledge, leafing through the Lonely Planet guide and some tentative googling, I know nothing.

Anyone?

ccffm1

Reaction score
I remember that my father bought me a sensationally beautiful croc belt in Lisbon back in 1994 or so for a song. Things probably have changed a bit since then, but I would guess that leather goods in general might still be worth a closer look.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
this is supposed to be one of the best bespoke glove stores in the world, at least in terms of bang for buck. I haven't bought anything from them, but every time I go to Lisbon I think that I will, and then I don't have time.

http://www.luvariaulisses.com/uk/pagina/2/historia/

there are a number of antique stores around the old down town. I don't know that you will see anything that you wouldn't see at home. there are soem nice tile stores around. very nice coffee shops, I just like walking around the town, and I enjoy the food. in living memory, there were portugues colonies in the far east, africa and india, and brazil has always had a close cultural relationship with portugaol - the food scene in town is very nice.

enjoy

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make sure you stuff your face with fresh Pasteis de Belem - these things are
inlove.gif
drool.gif

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ccffm1
I remember that my father bought me a sensationally beautiful croc belt in Lisbon back in 1994 or so for a song. Things probably have changed a bit since then, but I would guess that leather goods in general might still be worth a closer look.

Yes! Found that the whole town is on a brutal summer sale, including the an old-time shop here, Nunes Correa. Very nice house-brand shoes. Three pairs of benchmade, Goodyear-welted shoes (suede double-monks, suede desert boots with Dainite sole, black bit loafers) and two matching belts: 95 euros, - say, around $100.

Originally Posted by globetrotter
this is supposed to be one of the best bespoke glove stores in the world, at least in terms of bang for buck. I haven't bought anything from them, but every time I go to Lisbon I think that I will, and then I don't have time.

http://www.luvariaulisses.com/uk/pagina/2/historia/

there are a number of antique stores around the old down town. I don't know that you will see anything that you wouldn't see at home. there are soem nice tile stores around. very nice coffee shops, I just like walking around the town, and I enjoy the food. in living memory, there were portugues colonies in the far east, africa and india, and brazil has always had a close cultural relationship with portugaol - the food scene in town is very nice.

enjoy

Thanks, I will seek out the glovemakers, just for the novelty. I had a look at the finer antiques shops here, a lot of fine stuff, and some super, but nothing really spectactular yet. The antiquarian booksellers seem very good, I only looked in the windows of those. I've decided to work myself systematically through the ceramics museum and the military one, and do some hit-and-run visits to the others.

It's off to the Sunday flea-market tomorrow, you'll never learn as much about a place's history and values as when you see it's junk/antiques markets.

And yes, the Portuguese had colonies all over the place, it's an extraordinary mix of races here, - I've never seen more mixed-race couples anywhere, which is a good thing in itself, of course. Well just look what the mixing has done to the food...

A hell of a lot of insisting beggars, though.

ccffm1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
Yes! Found that the whole town is on a brutal summer sale, including the an old-time shop here, Nunes Correa. Very nice house-brand shoes. Three pairs of benchmade, Goodyear-welted shoes (suede double-monks, suede desert boots with Dainite sole, black bit loafers) and two matching belts: 95 euros, - say, around $100.

Thanks for the feedback, Lucky Strike. That´s a sweet deal, indeed. Enjoy your trip.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In Lisbon I loved a tiny glove shop somewhere in the historic centre, just below where you ascend to the castle (excuse the faded memories from several trips several years ago). I think it's called Luvaria Ulysses, or something like that. If other forumites have seen it they'll know what I'm talking about. EDIT: I must read the threads before posting. Sorry. EDIT: At least let me add an image, from Summer '05:
6ihguu.jpg

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dammit, I sought out the glove-makers on three separate occasions, and they were closed. Next time.

The high-end dealers had some stunning baroque and rococo pieces, but at regular, international prices, as far as I bothered to check.

Someone must have emptied the country of good art deco stuff years ago, as there was next to no good art deco for the finding. There is some stunning art deco architecture around town, so there would have been some good furnishings as well, but no such luck. I found one dealer who had some good mid-range things, but he was concentrating mainly on the 50s-70s.

On a more down-market note, I trawled the big flea-market for a full day. No big treasures, but a lot of smaller stuff.

I couldn't believe this display:

DSC00051.jpg

I rather liked this stuff, there were more than a hundred sellers with stuff like this:

DSC00040.jpg

DSC00059.jpg

Some good stuff, here's a (pair of heavy) sterling silver art deco candelabra at about $500:

DSC00034.jpg

I passed on the candelabra, and to my greater regret, on this B-17 model too, in a gunmetally bronze, quite nice and heavy, but missing its stand, with a bent wing, and a bit too pricey, IMO, at around $100. Undoubtedly period, though:

DSC00054.jpg

I bought these two, probably repro, but at good prices:

DSC00043.jpg

DSC00047.jpg

Also, a Tintin print to match the racing car:

DSC00063.jpg

Two toy cars and a print, in a packaged deal: Around $35.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IndianBoyz
Make sure you get some 'Bakkalaw' in Portugal.
Oh, I did! I must have had a twentieth of the 178 varieties of it. Being Norwegian, though, dried and cooked cod isn't much of a novelty. It was all very good. Edit: Damn, didn't eat any tomato types.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was there about 2 weeks ago and I couldn't find anything particularly nice stores. I wish I went to that glove shop though. I did see a really nice umbrella store and a jeweler that carried incredibly high end watches.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads