• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tell me about these shoes...

Rassillon

Reaction score
First post so I hope this is the right place.

Apologies if not.

I am trying to learn a bit more about these shoes I got from my dad. For health reasons he has no need for business wear and so we have cleared much of it out.

He gave me a couple pair of new shoes.

Royal tweed
By cheany of England
A division of churches english shoes
Premium grade
Lase 277G size 11

Tassels loafers

1 pair black
1 pair maroon

Both brand new.

I wear a size 12 US

Are they good shoes?

I know UK sizes are a little larger than US...
Will these stretch enough to fit me?

Should I keep them or try and sell them on ebay or something and buy something else.

What would they be worth?

Appreciate any insight... I tried looking up the maker's website but they didn't seem to have anything comparable.

An additional note, my dad traveled to the middle east a good bit so probably bought these during one of his trips when he stopped over in England. He can't remember but I estimate it was somewhere between 8-20 years ago.

Anyway thanks in advance!

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As you seem to be in possession of the shoes, you would be the best authority on whether they fit. Don’t expect them to stretch much, although they will soften and break in over time.

As to the quality, Church’s are good mid-level shoes, mostly Goodyear welted. I don’t know what they’d be worth on eBay. “Maroon” could mean cordovan (horsehide) which are generally more expensive.

With shoes, “new” means never worn outside of a carpeted shoe store—any scratches on the sole means technically not new, if you decide to sell them. But “almost new” is still valuable.

Last edited:

Rassillon

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I've tried them on but they are pretty tight. Probably won't risk damaging them and just get something that fits properly.

Yes, they have no scratches on sole and still had the cardboard inserts.

Also, yes, I think cordovan sounds correct... not brown or black.

My dad would do that sometimes... buy shoes but then just always wear his standard shoe which was a lace up and he had several of the exact same shoe.

Again, thanks for the info.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cordovan is a material, and often is presented in a maroon or burgundy color. Cordovan is unlikely to stretch much at all.

Church's are solid mid grades as stated. If they fit and you like them, I'd keep them.

UK 11 = US 12. Though not sure of standardization 20 years ago.

Rassillon

Reaction score
Validus,

Thanks for the info.

I'm thinking the shoes are too narrow. I have wide feet and usually have to buy E width shoes.
I don't think they are B... just standard width... that is why I was curious about stretching.

Thanks for the tip on cordovan... just looked it up and read an article about it. Learn something new everyday.

I do like the shoes and they have a bit of sentimental value but not enough to walk around in pain lol. Plus my dad is pretty practical and would expect me to get something that's functional.

As a follow up question, if you read this.... would Allen Edmonds be a comparable quality shoe... wanting to get something that will last and be able to be repaired over time.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Those were made by Cheaney from when they were owned by Church's. Oddly, today Cheaney is separate from Church's Shoes but owned by two Church family members.

A Cheaney G is considered wide. F is their medium width although for other UK brands like Crockett & Jones, E is medium.
277 seems to be an older loafer last not currently used.

I'd rate today's Cheaney a step above Allen Edmonds but no idea what they were like 20 years ago.

Rassillon

Reaction score
Zippyh,

Thanks for your input, it's really helpful.

Would you think the G would equate to a US D or E? I'm usually an E or EE depending on shoe. I have some cheap lace up shoes that are E but my boots are EE (US sizes) ...

This is actually way more interesting than I thought it would be.... didn't realize shoe company info would be so un-boring... lol

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would say 20 years ago AE > Cheaney in terms of quality. Very different styling.

AE is not what it used to be. Lots of "modern" designs. Direct to sale business model. Sewing uppers in the Caribbean. Lots of production defects.

In the end it comes down to styling where you should look.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads