• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well technically you are supposed to pay use tax on top of duties in many states. This is voluntary compliance though and many people don't volunteer.

I always volunteer @tifosi 's taxes for him. I know he is busy and probably doesn't have time to register for this, so I do it for him. Hopefully he appreciates my efforts when his bill arrives
rotflmao.gif

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

^^^ Don't even get me started on the punitive (18%!!!) duties to protect a largely non-existent Canadian footwear industry.

It's just a matter of time until the EU has a free trade agreement with the US, hopefully Canada too soon after that. Within 3-5 years most likely (I hope).

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I always volunteer @tifosi
's taxes for him. I know he is busy and probably doesn't have time to register for this, so I do it for him. Hopefully he appreciates my efforts when his bill arrives :rotflmao:

It's @tifosi patriotic duty not to pay taxes whenever he can do so. New Jersey probably has most corrupt politicians of all of our states.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

I always volunteer @tifosi
's taxes for him. I know he is busy and probably doesn't have time to register for this, so I do it for him. Hopefully he appreciates my efforts when his bill arrives :rotflmao:

I almost paid that bill, but then I thought it was fishy when it had your PayPal address as the only form of payment.

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Voluntary taxes? Where do I sign up for citizenship? Anyone know if Kerry needs a pair of EGs by chance?

Well voluntary taxes are just for our politicians rest of us peasants have our taxes taken by government immediately most of the time. There are state and local taxes too that sometimes seem voluntary but they are not as @dddrees pointed out we are supposed to pay those.

For example the state of Massachusetts has a sales tax of 6.25% that applies to nearly everything except food and clothing up to $175 dollars.

So it works like this if you import a pair of shoes from abroad that cost $1175.00 you would have to pay sales tax of $62.50 (the first 175 is exempt and then $1000 x 6.25% = $62.50 this goes to the state government.

Then there is 8.5% import tax that goes to federal government 1175 x 8.5% = $100.00

Majority of people do not know about this and even if they did they probably decide not to pay these taxes anyways.

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Voluntary taxes? Where do I sign up for citizenship? Anyone know if Kerry needs a pair of EGs by chance?
Actually, the U.S. really does call its tax system "voluntary". But if you don't volunteer to pay what you owe, you get forced to pay and might get your assets seized and/or do some prison time.

If you make as much as Kerry (Kerry's wife) you can afford some really great tax advisors and find a huge number of legal loopholes sufficient to save enough to be able to swim in a pool full of new EG shoes, Scrooge McDuck-style.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well voluntary taxes are just for our politicians rest of us peasants have our taxes taken by government immediately most of the time. There are state and local taxes too that sometimes seem voluntary but they are not as @dddrees pointed out we are supposed to pay those.

For example the state of Massachusetts has a sales tax of 6.25% that applies to nearly everything except food and clothing up to $175 dollars.

So it works like this if you import a pair of shoes from abroad that cost $1175.00 you would have to pay sales tax of $62.50 (the first 175 is exempt and then $1000 x 6.25% = $62.50 this goes to the state government.

Then there is 8.5% import tax that goes to federal government 1175 x 8.5% = $100.00

Majority of people do not know about this and even if they did they probably decide not to pay these taxes anyways.
Sorry, did you mean @Ironist ?
puzzled.gif

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads