• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shelf Stereo System Recommendation

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a shelf stereo system, a small unit that plays CD's and has a FM/AM tuner.  It's a gift for my dad, who likes to listen to the radio at work.  Unfortunately, the radio that's he's currently listening to has horrible reception.  Thus, my biggest consideration is radio reception...the man NEEDS his weekly dose of Car Talk.  Are there any brands that are known for good reception?  What kind of antennas are best?  I tried epinions, but it wasn't much help; know of any other resources?

edit: I forgot a pricerange...$150?  These things aren't too expensive these days, right?  Sound quality isn't too important, he listens at very low volume.

artdeco73

Reaction score
Renault, What is your father's office like and where is it located, both geographically and architecturally? I would venture a guess that the reception problems he is having are not the result of a poor radio but rather the result of his location and the building's construction, or, most likely, the combination of all. Having said that, if a built-in CD player wasn't a requirement, I would recommend the Tivoli Model One: Tivoli Model One It's compact, beautifully built, has great radio reception, solid, high-quality tuning mechanism and has that certain oomph about it that I don't quite know how to describe. Very giftable. Comes in several color combinations (browse the site). There is actually an external CD module that you can add on later. Besides that, I'm not sure how much shelf system $150 would buy, quite frankly. With compact systems, one pays for the compactness, design and the sleekness factor, which tend to eat into the basic quality of the guts. So decent ones are still pretty expensive. Good luck. Best Regards, Tony

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If he already has a small stereo system he may just need to add an amplified antenna. I had a problem with reception in my house. I added this and it solved the problem.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads