• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Revising Ebay Feedback

jimmyfingers

Reaction score
Well it doesn't sound like they were trying to scam you. They were upfront and gave you 2 10dollar credits. You also got your money back. Granted, you should have not been in this situation, but they seemed fair about it.

I would have just avoided leaving feedback altogether. I would change it for free in your situation and ask for a discount on a future purchase

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Update - I left the negative feedback as written.

While I realize they were not trying to scam me, my feeling is that the feedback is meant to reflect on the totality of the transaction and even though they eventually refunded my money, it took more work from my end than I should have had to exert.

Had I not made the effort to initiate the communication and to follow through with them, I don't know that they would ever have returned my funds.

As a buyer, the seller's actions (or inaction) is something I want to know. And considering that they are not some mom and pop retailer, I doubt my single negative feedback will be too bad for their business among the thousands of other feedbacks they receive.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
lurker[1].gif
ing for the email they send you when they see it.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
lurker[1].gif
ing for the email they send you when they see it.

I doubt they'll bother to send another e-mail. In the last 30-days alone they've received 6918 positive, 48 neutral and 22 negative feedback.

soxpats

Reaction score
Do they deserve the negative feedback or not? What does getting $20.00 have to do with anything. Either they should get the negative feedback or not. Your integrity is for sale?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you have been more than fully reimbursed ... the seller DOES NOT deserve negative feedback.

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
If you have been more than fully reimbursed ... the seller DOES NOT deserve negative feedback.

Interesting.

I too am one of those people who have never had a horrible experience on Ebay (rarely find anything my size/that I want), but they way I approach this is through "real life" terms. If I had a bad experiences at a store purchase and I am fully reimbursed because I voiced my bad experience, this doesn't negate the bad experience. How is Ebay different in this respect? If you find a hair in your soup and you get your meal for free, would you still call the dining experience delightful?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
This is extortion.

FTFY
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Bradford
Actually I'm not even sure if it is ethical of them to offer me money to revise my feedback. While I might get some small personal benefit, it seems to undermine the whole concept of the feedback system.

Does Ebay have a policy about this?

it is not unethical but it could cheating, if they really knew the sunglasses were never coming back and were just holding your $ as long as they could, then they are offering $ to cover up their bad business.

if however they had truly hoped the shades would return to stock and finally refunded you when it became clear they were done with. in that case they are just doing their best to please you and revising the feedback would be a fair request.

i guess you would have to do your best to judge their intentions, but alas the deed has been done. not an unjustifiable feedback imo

Originally Posted by tj100
I think the only ethical way to revise is make it positive, with the comment that "My transaction was negative, but they paid me $20 to leave positive feedback, so I did."

Originally Posted by SpooPoker
+100
lol8[1].gif

funny indeed but i dont think this will help the seller.

Originally Posted by Bradford
Update - I left the negative feedback as written.

While I realize they were not trying to scam me, my feeling is that the feedback is meant to reflect on the totality of the transaction and even though they eventually refunded my money, it took more work from my end than I should have had to exert.

Had I not made the effort to initiate the communication and to follow through with them, I don't know that they would ever have returned my funds.

As a buyer, the seller's actions (or inaction) is something I want to know. And considering that they are not some mom and pop retailer, I doubt my single negative feedback will be too bad for their business among the thousands of other feedbacks they receive.

sound fair to me.

LatinStyleLover

Reaction score
The problem for me is that most here seem to be equating a negative feedback of old with a current negative feedback. The current system is purposely one-sided. A negative feedback does not just convey a bad experience, it ruins a seller.

Worse are DSR's. Any reasonable person would construe a 1-5 system as meaning a 1 is fail and a 5 outstanding. A 4 would be good or even excellent. The problem is that in the Ebay system a Seller who gets three 4's loses their Top Rated Seller status and the 20% fees reduction with it, EXACTLY AS EBAY WISHES!

It is no different than Ebay's so-called "Seller Protection." It is a gimmick. It is useless. People should actually read it because it is absurd how useless it is. Sadly, the almost worthless US Postal Service offers better protection than does the so-called Ebay seller protection.

Leaving anyone a negative, under the current Ebay system, unless they have actually ripped you off, in my view, plays right into the hands of Ebay. It is the equivalent of the Death Penalty and I don't see this particular issue as a Death Penalty case. The hair in soup analagy fails for me. Giving someone free food that is contaminated does not change the fact that the food is comtaminated. Providing someone a full refund on an item they never even received makes them whole. No comparison here.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bringusingoodale
Interesting.

I too am one of those people who have never had a horrible experience on Ebay (rarely find anything my size/that I want), but they way I approach this is through "real life" terms. If I had a bad experiences at a store purchase and I am fully reimbursed because I voiced my bad experience, this doesn't negate the bad experience. How is Ebay different in this respect?

Personally I've never looked at feedback as being a measure of one's 'delight.' Is the ultimate outcome acceptable or not. If one is reimbursed, that is acceptable.

And there is always the possibility of leaving neutral feedback: "Item was not to my liking, but I was fully reimbursed.

Originally Posted by bringusingoodale
If you find a hair in your soup and you get your meal for free, would you still call the dining experience delightful?
This example isn't really applicable.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS

I was only reimbursed the amount I paid. I did not request nor receive any additional money although as I stated previously, the thought briefly crossed my mind when I received their unsolicited offer of an additional $20 to revise my feedback.

Chris Waffles

Reaction score
Originally Posted by soxpats
Do they deserve the negative feedback or not? What does getting $20.00 have to do with anything. Either they should get the negative feedback or not. Your integrity is for sale?

+1

eddievddr10

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LatinStyleLover
The problem for me is that most here seem to be equating a negative feedback of old with a current negative feedback. The current system is purposely one-sided. A negative feedback does not just convey a bad experience, it ruins a seller.

Worse are DSR's. Any reasonable person would construe a 1-5 system as meaning a 1 is fail and a 5 outstanding. A 4 would be good or even excellent. The problem is that in the Ebay system a Seller who gets three 4's loses their Top Rated Seller status and the 20% fees reduction with it, EXACTLY AS EBAY WISHES!

It is no different than Ebay's so-called "Seller Protection." It is a gimmick. It is useless. People should actually read it because it is absurd how useless it is. Sadly, the almost worthless US Postal Service offers better protection than does the so-called Ebay seller protection.

Leaving anyone a negative, under the current Ebay system, unless they have actually ripped you off, in my view, plays right into the hands of Ebay. It is the equivalent of the Death Penalty and I don't see this particular issue as a Death Penalty case. The hair in soup analagy fails for me. Giving someone free food that is contaminated does not change the fact that the food is comtaminated. Providing someone a full refund on an item they never even received makes them whole. No comparison here.

Its true what he says the igorance of many buyers screws so many sellers, they do not know the severity of scrutiny that ebay has for sellers its tantamount to dealing with the mafia. Hell, dealing with the mafia would be easier and more honest IMO.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads