• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Replica or similar Thomas Fraser Collection Ripley knit shirt

Reaction score
Hi all
I really want one of these knit shirts made by Thomas Fraser, but they cost £300. are there any knitted shirts that are similar but don't cost as much?
Any help much appreciated

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-04-11 at 18.37.36.png
    Screenshot 2022-04-11 at 18.37.36.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 690
  • Screenshot 2022-04-11 at 18.38.06.png
    Screenshot 2022-04-11 at 18.38.06.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 683

Mirage-

Reaction score
Unfortunately, haven't seen them anywhere else.
But actually, I wanted to talk about this Scott Fraser Collection. I had never really looked into it before, it might well be the first designer brand I really like the design of, despite being certainly not classic CM as we intend today (though undoubtedly inspired by vintage sportswear).
The one thing that drives me crazy is they state nearly everything they produce is dry-clean only, including knit shirts like these ones. Dry-clean only shirts? That is just stupid imho.
Now I suppose it's probably just the standard excess of safety to be sure random people don't put an expensive cloth in 80C wash, then machine dry, and destroy it. But still it's annoying to be so patronized by a high-end brand. At least brands usually say "hand-wash only" to be sure, not dry-clean.
And not to mention, what if it really needs dry cleaning for some reason? Even worse, then those are clothes made to look nice in pictures but practically void of any real-life use.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hi all
I really want one of these knit shirts made by Thomas Fraser, but they cost £300. are there any knitted shirts that are similar but don't cost as much?
Any help much appreciated

This is sold out, but you may be able to find it on eBay. Can't remember the price, but it was cheaper than Scott Fraser Simpson's version. However, it also wasn't as textured or interestingly knit.

ladislav.jancik

Reaction score
Not the right suggestion as these from SS22 collection by The Real McCoy's are approx. the same price, but I find them quite interesting and someone might be interested:

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here you go—about half the price:

Made in Italy. Might even be the same manufacturer but who knows.

I have not ordered anything from them yet, but I have been talking with them about making me one of the yellow/cream Ripley knits in the near future. They are very responsive by email and evidently will do MTM if you need it. Let me know if you end up trying them.

[Note that I would feel bad about opining on SFC's manufacturing and offering a less expensive alternative, but I understand SFC is moving its knitwear production out of Italy and possibly discontinuing the Ripley knits anyways, so I don't think there's a moral hazard here].

It's also worth checking Grailed and Ebay for people selling their SFC Ripley knits. I've seen a few pop up there over the past few months.

Last edited:

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, haven't seen them anywhere else.
But actually, I wanted to talk about this Scott Fraser Collection. I had never really looked into it before, it might well be the first designer brand I really like the design of, despite being certainly not classic CM as we intend today (though undoubtedly inspired by vintage sportswear).
The one thing that drives me crazy is they state nearly everything they produce is dry-clean only, including knit shirts like these ones. Dry-clean only shirts? That is just stupid imho.
Now I suppose it's probably just the standard excess of safety to be sure random people don't put an expensive cloth in 80C wash, then machine dry, and destroy it. But still it's annoying to be so patronized by a high-end brand. At least brands usually say "hand-wash only" to be sure, not dry-clean.
And not to mention, what if it really needs dry cleaning for some reason? Even worse, then those are clothes made to look nice in pictures but practically void of any real-life use.

I really like SFC, even if a lot of their items are a little too wild for my wardrobe, and I think starting a thread for them is a grand idea. I may do so this week.

Mirage-

Reaction score

Made in Italy.
Made in Milan actually, so yes that's a good chance you found their manufacturer.
Moral problems aside, they have many more models. I actually think I might be buying a linen version, which looks slightly less cool than the merino version but is probably much more useful in Italian summers.
Also I would rather buy in Italy than have things made in Italy, shipped to England and then back to me in Italy.
It is unfortunate that a lot of great Italian brands don't really understand e-commerce. Funny enough, many brands or even manufacturers are starting to offer custom orders through weird ways like Instagram, instead of creating a proper website. Which actually locks me out since I don't have an account and cannot be bothered to set up a social network to use it for things it wasn't meant to do.

Last edited:

oudwood

Reaction score

Made in Italy. Might even be the same manufacturer but who knows.

I have not ordered anything from them yet, but I have been talking with them about making me one of the yellow/cream Ripley knits in the near future. They are very responsive by email and evidently will do MTM if you need it. Let me know if you end up trying them.

[Note that I would feel bad about opining on SFC's manufacturing and offering a less expensive alternative, but I understand SFC is moving its knitwear production out of Italy and possibly discontinuing the Ripley knits anyways, so I don't think there's a moral hazard here].

It's also worth checking Grailed and Ebay for people selling their SFC Ripley knits. I've seen a few pop up there over the past few months.

I don't mean to bring such an old thread back, but did anyone end up ordering from Connection Knitwear and can comment on the quality, sizing, etc.? Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GentWithoutaCent