• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PSA: Dust-Off and other "innocuous" household products can kill kids

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
For the parents/uncles/etc. out there: http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/dustoff.asp (not a myth) The short version: kids take compressed air meant for blowing dust out of computers, inhale it for fun to get dizzy, and can die. Diflouruethane propellant in "canned air" fills up their lungs and displaces oxygen. People can die in a few seconds from this when their brain has no oxygen to run on. This is exactly the kind of thing that bored, affluent middle-class kids will do for fun. So tell your kids to stick to the whipped cream. (Just kidding.) (But it is a fair bit safer.) Check your kids for any of the following drug signs:
  • Clothing or bags etc. made of black/red/yellow/green knit fabric (esp. big baggy round hats)
  • Hacky-sacks
  • Sudden interest in Pink Floyd or crappy electronica

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
For the parents/uncles/etc. out there:

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/dustoff.asp (not a myth)

The short version: kids take compressed air meant for blowing dust out of computers, inhale it for fun to get dizzy, and can die. Diflouruethane propellant in "canned air" fills up their lungs and displaces oxygen. People can die in a few seconds from this when their brain has no oxygen to run on.

This is exactly the kind of thing that bored, affluent middle-class kids will do for fun. So tell your kids to stick to the whipped cream. (Just kidding.) (But it is a fair bit safer.)

Check your kids for any of the following drug signs:
  • Clothing or bags etc. made of black/red/yellow/green knit fabric (esp. big baggy round hats)
  • Hacky-sacks
  • Sudden interest in Pink Floyd or crappy electronica

What's more fun is if you shake the can and spray it at someone upside down, you can give them cryogenic burns.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a can of Dust Off on my desk right now and they have warnings on it against doing it. It also says they've added a bitterant to it, so it will taste like **** if you try it. If you can't be deterred by either of these, then you can't be helped.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, I may be a bit late on this one. Figured I'd post it anyway though, I have a can of Dust-off that's so old it doesn't have much warning or the bitterant AFAIK.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Oh yes, Whip-its are definitely the better option here.

Talk about a blast from the past. I haven't seen a whip-it in forever.

nmoraitis

Reaction score
As a teen, I could never imagine myself smoking let alone doing something like this. Some kids have nothing better to do I guess.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
^All I can say is that in a town of <1200 people, with the closest mall/restaurant/movie theater/anything entertaining is 30+ miles away, it's a lot more tempting than you'd think.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^All I can say is that in a town of <1200 people, with the closest mall/restaurant/movie theater/anything entertaining is 30+ miles away, it's a lot more tempting than you'd think.

Did you ******** with farm animals too?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Did you ******** with farm animals too?

Personally? No. The most I ever did with livestock was go cow-tipping.

But I did know some people who I honestly would question whether they did or not.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
But I did know some people who I honestly would question whether they did or not.
Eh, I think we all do.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads