• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Passing a Drug Test

Cavalier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Macallan9
1/2 8th a day? Goddamn man, that's a shitload.
It's a good habit to break; I blame my past smoking on high anxiety and low will power. The funny part, was I never played the 'stoner' image in the least-- when there was always tons of silly people pretending to be big stoners in lala land walking around in tie dyed shirts, etc. who smoked an 8th a week

nordicstyle

Reaction score
I'm just curious, why do you want to work for an employer who requires you to take a drug test? And if you do, why are you doing drugs before the test?

I don't remember pot smoking every being an issue where I've worked. As long as you didn't do it during office hours and not inside the actual office, nobody really cared. I guess maybe the software industry is more liberal with these things, or is it just an American thing? Do they also make you take an alcohol test every morning when you show up at the office?

Why should they care what you do in your spare time as long as it doesn't affect your work (assuming you are not applying for a job in law enforcement or similar profession)?

Fat-Elvis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nordicstyle
I'm just curious, why do you want to work for an employer who requires you to take a drug test?
What a ridiculous question. Not everyone has the luxury of passing on every job offer that requires a drug test, as asinine and unnecessarily invasive as it is.

nordicstyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fat-Elvis
What a ridiculous question. Not everyone has the luxury of passing on every job offer that requires a drug test, as asinine and unnecessarily invasive as it is.
I assume this means drug testing is quite common among American employers? Forgive my ignorance, but where I live drug testing is unheard of in the workplace. In fact, I don't even think it's legal to require them from your employees (except for law enforcement and similar, I guess).

jsqfunk

Reaction score
In the USA, at least for large "Fortune 500" type companies, drug tests before you start working are a standard thing. Usually, you interview with a company and if they like you and offer you a job, sometime after the job offer, but before you start working you either go to the company's office and a company employeed nurse gives you a test or you go to a drug testing company like Quest Diagnostics and take a test.

In my career (banking), I have never heard of someone getting "random" tested or re-tested during their career. However, people like truck drivers, airline pilots, police, etc. have to deal with random testing at least once a year for their entire career.

Fat-Elvis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nordicstyle
I assume this means drug testing is quite common among American employers? Forgive my ignorance, but where I live drug testing is unheard of in the workplace. In fact, I don't even think it's legal to require them from your employees (except for law enforcement and similar, I guess).
If you don't live in America then that would explain why you're accustomed to not having to deal with drug tests as standard for accepting a job. jsqfunk explained it well. In careers where safety is a concern, you're almost guaranteed to be tested randomly/periodically. It varies from industry to industry, and I was tested once before I accepted a job at a bank through a temp agency over a year ago but haven't been tested since. It's a pretty stupid practice as it doesn't really benefit anyone...I mean if you do enough drugs to affect your work, it will be reflected in your work, and they can fire you based on that alone. If you only smoke up a little every other weekend or on special occasions, then it won't be reflected in your work, and what the hell business is it of your employer's? They test for all sorts of drugs but ironically it's by far the most benign of them all that stays in your system long enough to be caught even if only casually used, so in reality they're pretty much just testing for pot.

nordicstyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jsqfunk
However, people like truck drivers, airline pilots, police, etc. have to deal with random testing at least once a year for their entire career.

I'm not sure how it works law enforcement and military, but for civil drivers, pilots, boat captains, etc. they can of course be tested randomly by the police, but that's because they are operating potentially dangerous machinery and it has nothing to do with their employer. Of course, getting caught flying and airplane or controlling a boat while intoxicated is likely to cost you your job, and possibly jail time.

It's a pretty stupid practice as it doesn't really benefit anyone...I mean if you do enough drugs to affect your work, it will be reflected in your work, and they can fire you based on that alone. If you only smoke up a little every other weekend or on special occasions, then it won't be reflected in your work, and what the hell business is it of your employer's?

I agree, but even if it does affect your work I don't think immediately getting rid of the employee is always the best solution. I would not tolerate my employees showing up for work noticeably intoxicated. I would tell them to go home and come back when they were sober. Of course, if the problem persisted, letting them go might be the only practical solution, but I think it's important that employers also try to help their employees in situations where drug or alcohol abuse is causing problems in their everyday lives.

I'm not saying I would necessarily hire someone who was a known alcoholic or drug user, but I also wouldn't immediately fire someone if I found out they were.

They test for all sorts of drugs but ironically it's by far the most benign of them all that stays in your system long enough to be caught even if only casually used, so in reality they're pretty much just testing for pot.

So, if you only stick to the stronger stuff, you'll be fine...?
wink.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Staff online

Forum statistics