• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New to skinny jeans and I welcome your footwear recommendations

robline

Reaction score
Hello SF! Been reading for years but this is my first post. I am looking for recommendations for footwear to match a couple pairs of skinny jeans.

I'm new to the skinny jeans, having come from Earnest Sewn (mildly flared to fit over any boots with panache). I recently bought Nudie Jeans Lean Dean Dry 16 Dips (https://www.nudiejeans.com/product/lean-dean-dry-16-dips) and Rag and Bone Fit 2 Minna (https://www.rag-bone.com/mens/jeans/fit-2---minna-M1223K510MIN.html).

My current footwear are things such as:

Luchesse ostrich leather boots

or vintage FRYE campus boots from the 70s, similar to these:

These are never going to work with the new jeans I got. The Lean Deans have a few inches leeway to technically fit over the boots, but it looks like I stuffed a sock inside my underwear, and I walk like I have two ankle casts on. The Minnas could only go inside the boot, and that looks ridiculous to me. Especially on the campus boot.

I don't mind this shift because the boots were a bit much for walking all day in urban environments with a messenger bag. I just went to Venice Beach for an art gallery event. Was there less than 24 hours and basically walked around the whole time. The Luchesse boots are okay the first 8 hours but not great for the long haul. Gonna be doing a lot of urban walking over the next year or two. Brooklyn, Tiajuana, Prague, Budapest, etc.

I'd like to avoid sneakers (not my style) and loafers (too conservative). Most of my existing accoutrements are leather, vintage look, like this jacket from the 60s:

Something sort of like this, maybe?

Or this, maybe?

I don't really know. Just two things I saw browsing around here. So I'd be grateful for your advice. My budget is max $700-ish, preferably less. But if an extra few hundred dollars buys me footwear that will stand up to the walking, in comfort, and style, let's hear it. Thanks!

rivegauche

Reaction score
Welcome to the great world of skinny jeans. You might want to look into Chelsea Boots, Harness Boots or Jodhpurs from Saint Laurent if you’re more into boots and also lean towards 60s fashion. They are a very popular option for skinny jeans because they have a slim shaft and are generally shaped nicely. If you’re looking for a more affordable alternative to try this style of footwear you could also look into cheaper alternatives. I have heard lots of good things about Story Et Fall for example, think there are others too.

RedVelvetWounds

Reaction score
Welcome to the great world of skinny jeans. You might want to look into Chelsea Boots, Harness Boots or Jodhpurs from Saint Laurent if you’re more into boots and also lean towards 60s fashion. They are a very popular option for skinny jeans because they have a slim shaft and are generally shaped nicely. If you’re looking for a more affordable alternative to try this style of footwear you could also look into cheaper alternatives. I have heard lots of good things about Story Et Fall for example, think there are others too.

Personally always preferred FromtheFirst over SEF. SEF never got the toe shape quite right and they're slightly bulkier than their FTF counterparts.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's my opinion - skinny jeans look bad with boots of any kind. IMO, they look much better with standard shoes (bluchers, oxfords, loafers). I just believe that boots cause the jeans to bunch up all the way up the calf and that looks poor.

Some boots work with slim fit jeans, but none I've seen work well with skinny jeans

robline

Reaction score
I agree johng70, the skinny jeans are a challenge. The trendy thing I've noted (which is also a change I'm getting used to) is to roll/fold the cuff up to the top of the shoe. It can look good. But yes, based on this and the commonalities between the recommendations I've read in this thread, a very low-rise ankle boot seems to be the ticket.

I found some 60% off FRYE Chukka boots that seems to be in the general genre people are recommending here. It's a cheap way to experiment. I might ombre dye them, or just let it ride if I like the look. I found them on amazon but I think the same pricing is in the FRYE direct store as well. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SQBL7K9

Thanks for giving me direction, I'm here to learn!

Simon Dykes

Reaction score
You want Saint Laurent / Celine style boots with skinny jeans. From The First are a great option on a lower budget.

robline

Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendation, Simon. Do you know if those would be comfortable for 12-14 hours of walking per day? They definitely look good.

Simon Dykes

Reaction score
That's a pretty crazy amount of walking so I'd be looking at some cushioned sneakers for that personally, but yes I have worn my Saint Laurent and From The First boots all day and night on many occasions and had no issues with comfort.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads