• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mens Brand Tiers

style_geek

Reaction score
Im new to the forum and created an account only because I couldn't find the answer to this question. How would you rank these brands generally for mens clothing quality especially for those interested in more classic / preppy styles?
1. Ralph Lauren
2. Brooks Brothers
3. J Crew
4. Banana Republic
5. Vineyard Vines
6. Lacoste
7. LL Bean
8. Bonobos

Not sure if I am missing any other good brands for casual to business casual but feel free to bring-up. I know for professional clothes other brands come into play (Suit Supply, Canali, Charles Tyrwhitt, Allen Edmonds, Alden, etc.).

My gut is it looks something like BB > RL > VV = Lacoste > J Crew = BR > LL Bean > Bonobos

Also, are any of the designer brands considered on this forum (Hermes, Burberry, Gucci, Louis Vuitton)? I've heard some say Burberry is the only non-gaudy of the designer brands but I've heard others say they all are cheesy brands. In general, I find clothes from these brands to be quite eccentric and requiring a certain personality to pull off.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im new to the forum and created an account only because I couldn't find the answer to this question. How would you rank these brands generally for mens clothing quality especially for those interested in more classic / preppy styles?
1. Ralph Lauren
2. Brooks Brothers
3. J Crew
4. Banana Republic
5. Vineyard Vines
6. Lacoste
7. LL Bean
8. Bonobos

Not sure if I am missing any other good brands for casual to business casual but feel free to bring-up. I know for professional clothes other brands come into play (Suit Supply, Canali, Charles Tyrwhitt, Allen Edmonds, Alden, etc.).

My gut is it looks something like BB > RL > VV = Lacoste > J Crew = BR > LL Bean > Bonobos

Also, are any of the designer brands considered on this forum (Hermes, Burberry, Gucci, Louis Vuitton)? I've heard some say Burberry is the only non-gaudy of the designer brands but I've heard others say they all are cheesy brands. In general, I find clothes from these brands to be quite eccentric and requiring a certain personality to pull off.

now that you’ve heard from the resident crank, let me offer my opinion.

Quality is a very relative term and many of these brands offer a range of products sometimes excelling at some things. Also, of the brands you’ve cited, there exists a range of styles as well as price points.

There are many considerations and there’s too much disparity between these brands to allow for a tiering system that would be useful. It’s like listing a dozen different car manufacturers from Kia to Ferrari and asking who makes the best vehicle.

If there’s something specific you’re looking for, perhaps then your question might be easier to answer.

Jan Capek

Reaction score
You don't really mention the criterion for the ranking. But suppose it is quality, then the only thing that is certain is that RL will take the first spot on your list of 8.

There's a hidden idea in dieworkwear's answer, however, which is that you should outgrow this approach to fashion/style/menswear, and become a discriminating dresser. Before you waste too much money.

Also, quality is nothing if the clothes don't compliment your physique or don't fit or, worse still, if they are soulless.

I recently visited a Brunello Cucinelli boutique, because it dwells across the street and I know the quality to be decent. I left disappointed, every jacket or blazer was too short. I had the same experience at Isaia. And I think that I have not seen a single item on the rack that would look better on me than my WalkerSlater tweed pants and a suede bomber, both of which were relatively cheap and of average quality.

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Ralph Lauren
2. Brooks Brothers
3. J Crew
4. Banana Republic
5. Vineyard Vines
6. Lacoste
7. LL Bean
8. Bonobos

I think you need to pick your way through mass market brands and find the stuff they do really well at the right price

I think Polo Ralph Lauren poplin/Chambray/oxford shirts are good (for my build anyway) but I would never pay full retail or buy from outlets.

RRL stuff is all decent quality in my experience, but some of the stying can be a bit too "cowboy" for my taste, but I like the denim shirt/knitwear I have

Spoke London (British but they sell in the USA and they are great to deal with) are my pick for chinos, built to order so they fit perfectly and the quality is good for the price

I like Levis Vintage Clothing for jeans, 1967 505 0127 is well worth the money (if it fits your build)

I like the Fred Perry made in England Polo shirt (they sell a plain version without tipping) , John Smedley is also really good if you can find it on sale

Burberry (the factory used to be in my home town) make a good trench coat/mac but I wouldn't bother with any stuff with logos or the famous checks (it's cheap crap made overseas for middle aged British Football Hooligans)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads