• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loafers hurt...

MontyChapman

Reaction score
I bought a brand new pair of Loake Ansons last month, while I really do admire the design, I absolutely hate how it feels on my feet. My feet feel constantly under pressure from the structure of the shoe (left feels alright but right is quite tight). I have naturally wide feet but I had to stay with a size 6 due to the length of my feet. A size 6.5 although felt good with the width, sadly had a bit of heel slippage so I was recommended by the clerk to go with the size 6 for the sake of the length and he assured me that it would naturally stretch over time.

I tried to wear it over short lengths of time as recommended by articles and tried the hairdryer/thick sock method multiple times but when I take them off my right foot feels numb (my left foot is fine). I do think that it has stretched a slight bit but not enough that my feet feel comfortable. I think my right foot is slightly larger than the latter... This is my first time being 'proper' shoes (proper goodyear-welted) and I was warned by someone that it could take a long time to 'break' in such shoes. Am I being impatient or are my feet just not the 'type' for loafers? Please I love the look of loafers but I can never buy a good pair from a good shoemaker because they usually don't fit well or look flabby due to my wide feet...

Should I stick with it or sell it on ebay?

- So to summarise
- Bought Size 6 Anson Suede
- Tight on initial wear
- Tried short length wearing & hairdryer/thick sock
- Right foot feels numb and tight after wearing the shoes for a length of time
- Soles feel considerably stiffer than my old rubber sole loafer
- ALSO, the bottom of both my feet feel sore after wearing for some time... (No idea why but it kind of feels like my feet are sloping downwards into the shoe and I feel a lot of pressure on the front part of the bottom of my feet?)

Thanks in advance and best wishes!

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many hours have you worn them for? Where exactly do you feel that they are tight? I had a similar experience with a pair of C&J penny loafers—initially good in length but tight across the tops of my feet (under the strap). Right foot would get numb and painful after an hour or so initially. They broke in after about 20-30 hours and now they fit great. Loafers are tricky. IMO you need them to feel a little tight initially so that they are not too loose after breaking them in.

MontyChapman

Reaction score
How many hours have you worn them for? Where exactly do you feel that they are tight? I had a similar experience with a pair of C&J penny loafers—initially good in length but tight across the tops of my feet (under the strap). Right foot would get numb and painful after an hour or so initially. They broke in after about 20-30 hours and now they fit great. Loafers are tricky. IMO you need them to feel a little tight initially so that they are not too loose after breaking them in.

Exactly the same like you. Tight on the top and and sides for my right foot. The side is slightly tight for my left but not much of an issue compared to my right foot. Probably 2-3 hours in total as of now. Should I preservere?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine broke in very nicely but it did take closer to 20-30 hours for me. I’d suggest continuing to wear your loafers if they are not immediately painful upon putting them on but rather become uncomfortable only after some period of wearing them.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what re guys doing to yourselves? life is too short for painful shoes!!! Why? again and again I read posts like this here... sounds to me like the shoes don't fit. I would sell them on ebay but previous poster is right if you are dedicated enough wear them at home walking around or for a short walk to the supermarket or so.

MontyChapman

Reaction score
what re guys doing to yourselves? life is too short for painful shoes!!! Why? again and again I read posts like this here... sounds to me like the shoes don't fit. I would sell them on ebay but previous poster is right if you are dedicated enough wear them at home walking around or for a short walk to the supermarket or so.

I hear these Goodyear welted shoes apparently once broken-in, last you for a long time.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hear these Goodyear welted shoes apparently once broken-in, last you for a long time.
well technically they do but find it hard to believe that another maker that would fit you better won't last equally long but gotcha. so many people complain about uncomfortable antonio meccarillo shoes or meermin. I could not do it. but I admire the dedication.

MontyChapman

Reaction score
Just an experiment to see how it goes. (One-off) I've already got a few makers that have been very comfortable since the start, when I bought them and conformed to my feet within two days of wearing.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is always tricky; Will they break in or am I going to be perpetually uncomfortable?

I'm of the opinion that the risk is not worth it. Leather will obviously break in, but my experience has been that if the toe box is tight or if your toes feel squeezed, that is unlikely to improve. If possible, send them back.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Loafers are problematic -- since there are no laces, you are depending on the loafer to fit your feet just right. In my experience a calfskin loafer needs to be a little on the tight side at the beginning so that it fits correctly after break-in. How tight is too tight, that's the question. Again, just my experience. My best-fitting pair of loafers were pretty uncomfortable for the first 4-5 wears but no big deal IMO.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damned loafers. They look comfortable, and are anything but.

I've gone through 3 different sizes for a pair+multiple shoe stretchings, and they're either tight and uncomfortable, or my foot flops right out.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Exactly the same like you. Tight on the top and and sides for my right foot. The side is slightly tight for my left but not much of an issue compared to my right foot. Probably 2-3 hours in total as of now. Should I preservere?

Sounds like you have a higher than average instep and wide feet. Not all GYW shoes are made the same - not even from the same company. That's why shoemakers use different lasts to accommodate a wide variety of feet. The shoes you bought were made on a last that is not for your type of foot.

GoergeH

Reaction score
I have a higher instep on my left foot. I usually go up half a size and use insoles. Over time my feet compress the material differently and even things out. My Alden tassel loafers are my normal size but loose enough that I'm using a set of fuzzy adhesive pads that attach to the tongue area. The guy who sold me the shoes put them in for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads