• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Keyhole Lapel Buttons

passingtime

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Originally Posted by passingtime
I appreciate his taste, theories are all very well but no substitute for real talent.
Gee, Sean, was that "polite"? In any case, it would seem to contradict your stated reason for being interested in my old posts, and further beg the question of why you insist on digging them up.

Sorry, I don't understand you. A partial quote attributed to you was posted, I asked for the full quote (it being a topic that interested me) which was kindly provided. For some reason this seems to have upset you, with you even suggesting that I shouldn't look at past posts. Anyway I have decided that Nino is the artisan and since I trust his taste I will overcome prejudice and go with his teardrop lapel buttonhole.
smile.gif

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
It really depends on the degree of keyholing, size of the hole and handmade content. A slight diameter is common on bespoke and high end MTM.

But the issue I have is that so many cheaply made suits have the machine punched keyhole so that diminishes the perception of quality in my mind.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, how many of you actually noticed lapel buttonholes before coming to these websites/reading Manton's book?

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
Out of curiosity, how many of you actually noticed lapel buttonholes before coming to these websites/reading Manton's book?
I did.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Sorry, I don't understand you. A partial quote attributed to you was posted, I asked for the full quote (it being a topic that interested me) which was kindly provided. For some reason this seems to have upset you, with you even suggesting that I shouldn't look at past posts. Anyway I have decided that Nino is the artisan and since I trust his taste I will overcome prejudice and go with his teardrop lapel buttonhole.
smile.gif

Actually, no partial quote was posted; someone referenced a vague recollection of theirs. You insisted on unearthing that old post. It's strage that you are so interested in the opinions of someone you judge to be all theory and no talent.

passingtime

Reaction score
Actually, no partial quote was posted; someone referenced a vague recollection of theirs. You insisted on unearthing that old post. It's strage that you are so interested in the opinions of someone you judge to be all theory and no talent.

I have stated my reasons and now you are trying to put words in my mouth. I asked once, I scarcely think that is "insisted". I can't see how you think my interest is strange, you seem unable to believe anyone could want to read one of your posts. As for theory, it has a place.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
now you are trying to put words in my mouth.
Not at all. Just trying to surmise a consistent meaning from several puzzling and inconsistent posts.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
That makes two of us.
If you really are confused, perhaps I can help. Please point out what you perceive to be my inconsistencies and I will try to reconcile them for you.

passingtime

Reaction score
If you really are confused, perhaps I can help. Please point out what you perceive to be my inconsistencies and I will try to reconcile them for you.

It seems to me that your inconsistency is your inability to tell me what your are looking for. I am getting the feeling that you are suggesting that there is an ulterior motive at work here, one that I may not be aware of, perhaps you could let us know what it might be?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
It seems to me that your inconsistency is your inability to tell me what your are looking for.
I have asked but one simple, straightforward question. Looking at it again, I don't see any inconsistency within it at all. Could you perhaps be more specific?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads