• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jeans alternatives

Anamoly

Reaction score
Ive had the same exact problem/question now for years. The only answer Ive come up with is maybe a toned down pair of cargos from a good designer -- like an EG pair of cargos? grey chinos i think is a good alt too. Wow, you took the thought out of my head with this topic...
lol8[1].gif

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Canvas. I have a pair of white canvas Vintage Helumt Lang and a rust colored canvas pants from Obey.

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
Superfuture user doctorgnar posted a pic of the new "vintage chinos" available at Uniqlo. They look real nice--more rugged and slimmer than Dockers or J Crew (and of course, less ubiquitous). I think someone here (familyman?) also bought some WWII-era repro chinos from Sugar Cane that looked cool. The faithful vintage fits are not slim, of course, and aren't flattering on everybody.

Canvas workpants could also work. Tailor a pair of carhartts. Their washed duck color is classic and looks good beaten and dirty.

I love those uniglo "chinos".

How can I get my hands on a piar?
They online store doesn't appear to exist.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
Have you considered a utilikilt?
peepwall[1].gif

More seriously, Nudie has been doing some interesting stuff with their "canvas" jeans lately and might be worth checking out. They don't really look or feel like regular denim.

I actually have a utilikilt, it is quite liberating. I don't wear it too often. I traded in the heavy duty, goth looking one for the simpler cotton twill. I wish it were a little bit longer, but it isn't so bad just about my knees. Topsiders are okay, but they look best with my Doc Marten brogues and a high pair of scottish socks.
wink.gif

anthony

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ruben
I love those uniglo "chinos".

How can I get my hands on a piar?
They online store doesn't appear to exist.

I was wondering this myself. Anyone know?

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anyone got more input on cotton duck pants? I tried to get a pair of carhartt washed duck (b11), but the seller sent wrong size and I ended up with a refund instead... something along those lines, but more jeans cut perhaps?

ragcondesk

Reaction score
IMHO it is hard to beat Mason's pants. Virtual Clothes Horse carries a few at deep discount - as well as YOOX and occasionally on e-Bay.

Mason's fashions are rugged and durable pieces originally inspired by the military uniforms of the Colombian Liberation Army in the early 1980s. The Libertador fabric of which many of these garments were made is a double twisted cotton that was stronger than the American denim of the time, is flexible, and can withstand tremendous activity and wear. Mason's set out to make activewear that was both stylish and resistant to the stresses of life.
Unlike many trendy fashion lines, Mason's is dedicated to research and innovation from a production standpoint. In addition to the Libertador fabric, they also use canvas, cannete, Ottoman, and tricottina fabrics that can't be found in any other major fashion line. A recent partnership with acclaimed designer Massimo Bertelli has given Mason's an even more elite profile worldwide, as Bertelli is considered one of the leading designers of vintage-influenced clothing, combining the traditions of the past with savvy modern style.
Mason's jeans are named for the degree of aging they appear to have. For example, they have a "3 year" wash, a "7 year" wash, and a "Rip and Repair." Each is increasingly and uniquely distressed, from the gentle broken in feel of the "3 year" to the tattered edges and worn corners of the Rip and Repair.
In addition to Mason's jeans, the line includes a number of tops for men and women. In the women's collection, shirts including the Have, Meknes Patch, and Sigua each feature unique detailing like printed flowers and patchwork. The men's collection includes long sleeve shirts, as well as jumpers and jackets with ribbed sleeves that add distinguishing touch to the garment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads