• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much you bench?

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lifersfc
The question should be how much do you squat or how much do you overhead press. Bench is such a non-functional lift.
Overhead press is much less functional than bench.

265 max.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02

265 max.

-I think it depends on your objective:

For size and least chance of injury with range of motion, it would be what maximum weight allows you to do 4 reps with a 4 to 5 thousand second concentric movement with dumbbells on each rep
devil.gif

For Strength, that's a different test.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02

265 max.

Tom, you've me beat. I topped out at 235 when I was about 15 lbs heavier (I am 152 lbs now). Now I top out at 2 donuts a side (225 lbs) but I do that rarely, and am more likely to do full 10 rep sets using 80-85 lb dumbbells.

I've seen pictures of you, and you are shorter and have shorter limbs than I do, and are bigger, so that's my excuse. But the truth is that you are probably just naturally stronger.

mizanation

Reaction score
LA Guy, how come your bench is so much heavier than your dumbell bench press? I know it's supposed to be heavier, but yours is a ton heavier, no? maybe because 225 is a max weight, not for reps?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mizanation
LA Guy, how come your bench is so much heavier than your dumbell bench press? I know it's supposed to be heavier, but yours is a ton heavier, no? maybe because 225 is a max weight, not for reps?
Exactly.

225 is my max. 3 reps, usually. 5 reps, max, and I wouldn't do that without a spotter.

I don't need a spotter when I am doing my dumbbell presses, ever. And I do the dumbbell presses a max of 10 minutes after my cardio, which, these days is sprints and intervals, so that draws the weight down. I'll do 90 lb dumbbell presses (3x8 reps) sometimes if I haven't been running beforehand (which is pretty much never) and never need a spot for that either.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Not bad LAG.

carlhuber

Reaction score
My boss's brother-in-law just benched 500lbs and threw out his back. Hah.
Apparently he can do 450 just fine.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JET
Not bad LAG.

Thanks. For a 152 lb guy it's pretty decent, I guess, although I saw a 135 lb dude doing 3x10 sets of 235 just the other day. Made me feel plain bad
plain.gif

And carl, those dudes benching, like 4 or 5 plates a side scare me. When the bar bends, that's when I say "Whoah".

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
And carl, those dudes benching, like 4 or 5 plates a side scare me. When the bar bends, that's when I say "Whoah".

You've really got to be careful when you get up to weights that high. Your muscles might be able to handle it, but ultimately, you can end up with very serious joint and other problems.

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JBZ
You've really got to be careful when you get up to weights that high. Your muscles might be able to handle it, but ultimately, you can end up with very serious joint and other problems.
JBZ is right. I used to train with a varsity football player who benched 405lbs for 8 reps and leg pressed 1200lbs+ (I could almost match him there). I used to spot him by myself. I always told him that really I can help him get the weight off and on the rack, that's about it. Now he has shoulder, elbow, and toe problems and his scaled his training waaay back.

A.

coachvu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lifersfc
The question should be how much do you squat or how much do you overhead press. Bench is such a non-functional lift.
?? Do you overhead press things often in your everyday life?

mizanation

Reaction score
^^^ exactly....

-------

LA Guy, yeah, i'm trying to get stronger right now. Same bodyweight as you but less strong (i haven't tried seeing what my max is, but i know it's below 200. i've been doing high reps with 65 pound dumbells. now, i'm ready to go heavy. I can do burpees and hindu pushups forever, so i have plenty of muscle endurance, but my brute strength is lacking....
frown.gif

i have a friend who is a trainer for mixed martial arts athletes (we go to the same mma gym) and he is going to start working with me...

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trachea chokes are a good way to train the entire upper upper body
smile.gif
Finding a partner to choke is the tough part
plain.gif

Originally Posted by mizanation
^^^ exactly....

-------

LA Guy, yeah, i'm trying to get stronger right now. Same bodyweight as you but less strong (i haven't tried seeing what my max is, but i know it's below 200. i've been doing high reps with 65 pound dumbells. now, i'm ready to go heavy. I can do burpees and hindu pushups forever, so i have plenty of muscle endurance, but my brute strength is lacking....
frown.gif

i have a friend who is a trainer for mixed martial arts athletes (we go to the same mma gym) and he is going to start working with me...

hanker565

Reaction score
185 lbs is the most I've ever done. I weigh ~ 130...never been big on the bench, I prefer dumbell presses

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads