• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help Me Design My Professional Wardrobe! Fun Fun!

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
Quality woolen trousers that I frequently find on sale for less than $200 include Zanella and Zegna. A brand called Ballin appears regularly at Saks Off 5th for $99.99 and are decent workhorse trousers. You'll need to get them cuffed, for approximately $10 per pair, probably less.

Zanella/Zegna - Where should I look for these in the $200 range this month? Certain department stores, Century 21? I like Zegna stuff a lot so I may opt for that. Thanks.

Stax

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
Also, you MUST get one that has the compartment with both upper and lower zippers so it fits over the handle of a roll aboard suitcase. Very key.

wow.gif

So that's what the bottom zipper is for! Of course. Thanks for the tip!

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Zanella/Zegna - Where should I look for these in the $200 range this month? Certain department stores, Century 21? I like Zegna stuff a lot so I may opt for that. Thanks.

Discount stores like Century 21, Saks Off 5th, Neiman-Marcus Last Call, and department store sales. Full price for Zanellas is around $285 and AFAIK Zegna varies, but sells near that price and above. You can sometimes score terrific finds. I have a pair of $900 Brioni trousers that I absolutely love and bought for about $160 at NMLC in Dallas.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
Discount stores like Century 21, Saks Off 5th, Neiman-Marcus Last Call, and department store sales. Full price for Zanellas is around $285 and AFAIK Zegna varies, but sells near that price and above. You can sometimes score terrific finds. I have a pair of $900 Brioni trousers that I absolutely love and bought for about $160 at NMLC in Dallas.

Also, Zanella has a store-locator hotline listed on its website.

JeffC

Reaction score
You'll look better dressed than average if you just get clothes that fit (FWIW, my experience is working for the government in an engineering field - not the best dressers overall).

First, if you want good inexpensive shoes, see the CT sale thread from last night/this morning. I am in the same boat as you, just starting my job out of school. I'd start with a couple of pairs of more conservative shoes that will be versatille, say the black semi-brogue and chestnut derbys. Later you can move on to the chukka boots and wholecuts when you can afford other brands with last shapes more suited for these styles (EG, C&J, Lobb).

As for pants, you will have to get them tailored for them to look good, so make sure to buy up an inch if things feel snug in the waist, and/or short in the inseam so there's enough material for alterations. I'm pretty sure there is a SYMS nearby that would carry a good selection of pants. You can get some HSM wool pants for $80 a piece and pay ~$10 for hemming and look great. I've always felt that most dress trousers are pretty bland anyway, but that's just my opinion.

Shirts, ties and shoes really make the outfit if you aren't wearing a jacket. Here is where I'd spend my money. Having a large variety of shirt and tie combinations where most everything matches everything else can make only owning just a few different pairs of pants serviceable in a starting wardrobe.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Okay now that I have some ideas for slack brands, what colors do I need?

So far I have charcoal and black with these faint stripes. Both are by Zegna. I need some lighter colors that are versatile too.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Uh, someone else can comment about the black.

Standard, versatile colors for wool pants include charcoal gray, medium gray, light gray, and tan. Having a brown or olive pair is a good idea. It probably would make sense for you to also buy a pair of tan linen (or linen-cotton) trousers, for warm weather.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads