• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me decide which plain black oxford to buy

emc894

Reaction score
Time has come for me to get a plain black cap toe oxford. It is a definite void in my closet and a fun excuse to buy a new shoe.

I am trying to decide between:

Edward Green

Chelsea 202 Last (or 82 or 888), Black Calf

DSC_0039-500x332.jpg
DSC_0040-500x332.jpg

Gaziano & Girling

Oxford in Black Calf on the GG06 Last

ggvseg6nj9.jpg

John Lobb

City II.

8888843939_3_1.jpg

I also have the JL Philip II in the back of my mind but really need a plain toe more.

Right now, I am leaning towards the G&G. I have not tried any on yet but live in nyc so I can do that easily on Saturday by stopping by Bergdorfs and Leffot.

This thread is really relavant but hasnt helped me make up my mind http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=59162

huskyzealot

Reaction score
You really can't go wrong with any of the above options. My vote would be for the Lobbs...no real reason though.

forseti6

Reaction score
+1 For the G&G. I'm sort of partial to them. But agree, you can't really go wrong...

glenjay

Reaction score
I personally would go for the Lobbs. I like EG but the Chelsea is a bit mundane (even in the 888) when compaired to your other choices.

I can't speak to the G&G shoes as I have never owned a pair (but I plan to at some point). I understand that G&G makes a very good shoe, but the Lobbs I own are the best fitting shoes I have in my collection (other than perhaps my bespoke shoes). I also like the sleeker style of the Lobbs.

I just noticed the date of the original post, so this advice is certinly moot, but the decision to be made is still certainly an interesting one. I wonder what the OP actually decided?

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Liking the Eddy Gs there the most. Anyway, why black when you can go brown?
laugh.gif

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you're willing to shell out $$ for JL Philip II ($1500 prestige range), you can also consider the Holden oxford from G&G's Deco range, the Bodie oxford from Anthony Cleverly, or even upgrade the EG Chelsee to TD treatment with better quality leather/fiddle waist.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
as much as i love JL, id go for the G&Gs.

emc894

Reaction score
I thought this would be pretty close. I am going to go to the lobb store at lunch and take a look.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads