• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help a newbie find the perfect button-down everyday shirt

Winding Ways

Reaction score
Hi Styleforum, this is my first post. I've had quite a few button-down shirts over the years, but I was rarely quite happy with the fabric or the fit. At age 38 I've decided to grow up and put some research into my next purchase.

I'm 187 cm and pretty slim, and I always tend to go with Medium. (Shirts over here in Norway are usually sized S/M/L/XL, however I'm quite open to purchasing online from abroad.)

There are four main issues I've had with previous purchases:
  • The sleeve and the torso length are too short. I'd like a shirt to be comfortably tuckable, and the sleeves to end where the palm starts when standing upright with arms down. I'm not sure if this is entirely down to the shirts I've had, I suspect I may have shrunk them a bit because often a shirt has felt fine in the store. I wash them at 40 degrees celsius using a normal cotton program.
  • The fabric gets a bit lumpy and wrinkly. For everyday shirts I prefer fabrics that feel a little bit thick and textured, as opposed to smooth and thin dress shirts. Again I'm not sure if I'm washing them wrong, but a lot of the shirts I've gotten in that vein tend to quickly get a bit uneven/lumpy and cheap-looking around the collar and the button area especially.
  • Lastly I love darker colours but I find they get a bit washed-out too quickly. Here as well I'm not sure if it's down to how I wash them.
  • EDIT: When I find a shirt that fits nicely around the torso, the collar tends to be too small, to the point that it's pretty uncomfortable to button all the way up.

Some questions:
  1. Am I washing them wrong?
  2. Should I give up finding ready-made Medium-sized shirts that are long enough, and go for bespoke?
  3. What cotton weave is best for a soft, smooth feel that doesn't require much ironing?

Last edited:

Winding Ways

Reaction score
Dark shirts??? What are you wearing them with? Suits? Sport coats?

Just casual stuff, jeans and casual trousers. If I'm dressing a bit more formally I'll go with a white shirt, but I rarely dress formally. Don't get me wrong, I love white/light-coloured shirts for casual wear as well.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Step 1: The collar must be your correct neck size. Only if this criterion is fulfilled can you proceed to step 2.

Step 2: The sleeves must be the correct length. If slightly too long, move the cuff button over so that the sleeve will close sufficiently once buttoned, preventing it from sliding down your hand. Once this is done, proceed to step 3.

Step 3. The shirt is probably larger than optimal. Take it to an alterations tailor to have darts put in the back of the shirt.

You now have an OTR shirt that fits perfectly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads