• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finishing sleeve cuffs on a Canali Sport Jacket

jonny2box

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently bought a blue Canali Kei jacket from a reputable retailer in Canada (Holt Renfrew) - similar to Nordstrom and Neiman Marcus in the States. It's a bit of a thickly woven texture (though not hopsack) Similar to this one, but a lighter shade of blue.

https://www.canali.com/intl/petrol-...lazer-with-flamed-effect-23275cu01635303.html

Question:
How to finish the cuffs and buttons on the sleeves?
Sleeves need shortening about 1-1.5" but the shop tailor never asked me any details about how I wanted the button arrangement (kissing / cascade ... 2, 3, or 4) ... so I assume they will generically go with 4 and it will either be cascade or kissing and non-functional button holes.
Canali website seems to always show 4 kissing button.

Any tips on how I can guide the shop tailor to make the best of this coat.

Another concern is: Is it a good idea to go with non-functioning button holes at first so that I can wear it a few times and decide if the sleeve length works well for me. Before asking another tailor to make the buttons holes functional later on?

Too nice a jacket (for me anyway) to ruin it with a botched in-house store alteration... .

Any guidance or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
J.

Last edited:

Tim Beasley

Reaction score
Hi J,

For immediate delivery, I would definitely refer to having 4 buttons "kissing" on your sleeves.

With the concern of the working buttonholes, the styling is obviously so much better when doing this. Functional buttonholes allow you with the ability to be more casual elegant by unbuttoning the first buttonhole closest to the sleeve ending when dressing down the sports coat.

However, I would first ask to see the tailor's previous work as not all tailors are at the same level with this adjustment.

We produce ours by hand which is executed much differently compared to machine work. So it's best you see the quality of their previous work before.

Hope this helps.
Tim

jonny2box

Reaction score
Hi Tim,

Thanks for your reply. That's good advice to bring it to a proper tailor and ask to see their work and if they do it by machine on by hand. There's a couple reputable tailors in Montreal. I'll give that a try. Holt Renfrew was prepared to finish the cuffs with working button holes, but I'm quite sure they would have been machine sewn.
Thank you,

ebauche

Reaction score
Hi Tim,

Thanks for your reply. That's good advice to bring it to a proper tailor and ask to see their work and if they do it by machine on by hand. There's a couple reputable tailors in Montreal. I'll give that a try. Holt Renfrew was prepared to finish the cuffs with working button holes, but I'm quite sure they would have been machine sewn.
Thank you,
Check out HPadar on St. Catherine. I have had good luck with them even for "advanced" alterations, like narrowing a sleeve and sleeve head.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads