• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Exercise me: Make me gain muscle

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
Yeah eating McDonalds is going to get you ripped heh. Thanks for neutralizing all that bad advice with that lol

lol guess what it doesnt matter much

dimshum

Reaction score
It's obvious that very few of you have attained any kind of admirable muscle mass/strength gain. Therefore you guys have no clue what you're talking about. Like Why said, it really doesn't matter that much - as long as you're eating in caloric excess. Want proof? Here: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/res...ch-review.html

When you're bulking the source of your calories DONT matter (assuming that you're getting enough protein). If you're eating at a ridiculous excess, regardless of what you eat, whether it be broccoli & chicken or a big mac, you WILL gain fat. Eat in a moderate caloric surplus and you'll achieve the same results.

I'm the last to advocate sticking to a fast food diet. But I think very few of you realize how many people are chronic undereaters when it comes to gaining mass. It's easier to bulk on dirty foods and just as effective. Achieve the mass, lean down and then stick to quality foods.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dimshum
It's obvious that very few of you have attained any kind of admirable muscle mass/strength gain. Therefore you guys have no clue what you're talking about.

This is a ridiculous assumption. If an eye surgeon doesn't have glaucoma or cataracts, does that mean he doesn't know enough about the condition to treat a patient? Similarly, just because you weigh over 300lbs and can bench 500lbs or more doesn't make you an expert. Only those who are seriously naive will still believe that the big guy in the gym knows the best.

Sure, there are several ways to get to Rome, and I don't assume your methods don't work because they do, and have worked on a lot of people. I also took in my younger days, tubs of ice cream, full fat milk, raw eggs and **** load of protein and got big. I still vividly remember those 5000 calories milk shakes. There are many advantages for a poor student since clean, healthy food is usually more expensive and cannot be conveniently attained. This bit hasn't changed today.

However, I just wanted to point out some of the dangers of a blanket recommendation especially when we do not know the OP intimately enough about his lifestyle and medical history. You come across as a know-it-all debasing everyone's advice as bad and making yours sound like the holy grail of mass building. If that is not your intention, then accept my apologies.

A bulking phase such as your recommendation may and can do irreparable long term damage to someone's health especially if he or she has a family history of heart conditions, diabetes, liver or kidney ailments. It also makes the assumption that it is easy for everyone to suddenly switch to a clean eating mode in order to get ripped. This is blatantly not true. I know a few people who wanted to get big by ingesting lots of junk food and then they struggle with weight problems, reinforced by poor eating and mental habits. You obviously don't know enough guys who are over 250 lbs and got there eating clean most, if not all the time. I can also tell you pound for pound those who ate cleanly are actually alot stronger.

dimshum

Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth
This is a ridiculous assumption. If an eye surgeon doesn't have glaucoma or cataracts, does that mean he doesn't know enough about the condition to treat a patient? Similarly, just because you weigh over 300lbs and can bench 500lbs or more doesn't make you an expert. Only those who are seriously naive will still believe that the big guy in the gym knows the best.

Sure, there are several ways to get to Rome, and I don't assume your methods don't work because they do, and have worked on a lot of people. I also took in my younger days, tubs of ice cream, full fat milk, raw eggs and **** load of protein and got big. I still vividly remember those 5000 calories milk shakes. There are many advantages for a poor student since clean, healthy food is usually more expensive and cannot be conveniently attained. This bit hasn't changed today.

However, I just wanted to point out some of the dangers of a blanket recommendation especially when we do not know the OP intimately enough about his lifestyle and medical history. You come across as a know-it-all debasing everyone's advice as bad and making yours sound like the holy grail of mass building. If that is not your intention, then accept my apologies.

A bulking phase such as your recommendation may and can do irreparable long term damage to someone's health especially if he or she has a family history of heart conditions, diabetes, liver or kidney ailments. It also makes the assumption that it is easy for everyone to suddenly switch to a clean eating mode in order to get ripped. This is blatantly not true. I know a few people who wanted to get big by ingesting lots of junk food and then they struggle with weight problems, reinforced by poor eating and mental habits. You obviously don't know enough guys who are over 250 lbs and got there eating clean most, if not all the time. I can also tell you pound for pound those who ate cleanly are actually alot stronger.

Fair enough; it definitely wasn't my intention to come off the way I did. And you're right, depending on the OP's situation, it's possible that eating certain foods can impose health risks. However, I was giving my advice based on the situation presented in the thread. The OP is 150 lbs. and can afford to gain weight. I recommended that he eat 3000 calories a day. Given the circumstance my suggestion that he fulfill that requirement with fast food isn't really out of line.

Assuming that the OP is a regular guy (and he hasn't said anything to prove otherwise), there is nothing wrong with eating fast-food for grwoth. I probably should have clarified that it doesn't in any way enforce good habits but is simply a means to an end. You and I can both agree on the fact that it's hard and expensive to eat big & clean.

Not only that, but research has shown that, given the same macronutrient intake, eating a fast food meal is equivalent to eating a "clean meal." It is because it's easy to overeat on fastfood that people become fat and therefore unhealthy. People do not become unhealthy from the food itself.

All of this wasn't written to say that I don't advocate a clean diet. I do. I believe that much can be gained from eating clean; if not for the physiological benefits, there are huge psychological benefits to reap as well. I don't doubt that one feels healthier when eating clean. I'm assuming that if the OP has the discipline to eat fast food purely for bulking purposes, he should have no problem cutting it out in favor of leaner, whole foods.

As for all your friends in the 250+ range who got there by eating clean - I never said it wasn't possible, it's just hard to do. However, I highly that they're any stronger than those who could have gotten there and leaned out the dirty way. Instead, what your friends' eating habits indicate is that they probably have the discipline to research, find and follow through with a solid training routine. Eating clean wasn't what made them strong, it was discipline and dedication; they gave their bodies the fuel and proper stimulus for growth.

I apologize if my post offended anyone. Please keep in mind that my advice was tailored toward the OP, who hasn't clued us into any weight or dietary-habit issues. In fact, all the evidence points otherwise. I'm just simply saying that for bulking purposes, a calorie is a calorie. If you can control yourself, bulk the dirty way and come back clean. It's just easier.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not only that, but research has shown that, given the same macronutrient intake, eating a fast food meal is equivalent to eating a "clean meal." It is because it's easy to overeat on fastfood that people become fat and therefore unhealthy. People do not become unhealthy from the food itself.

There is more to being unhealthy then just being fat and there is more in food then just macronutrients.

aoluffy

Reaction score
Dimshum, its not hard or expensive to eat big and clean. It can be inconvienant.

You're saying someones whos clean bulked will be of equal strength to someone whos dirty bulked and then cut? The cutting alone will cause v. small gains for that period (if any) whilst the clean bulk guy can keep gaining strength.

I agree that for people @120lbs, they shouldn't worry if food is dirty or clean because they just need to put on some weight but a lot of your post is rubbish imo.

turbozed

Reaction score
It is because it's easy to overeat on fastfood that people become fat and therefore unhealthy. People do not become unhealthy from the food itself.

Are you claiming that the only health issues from poor nutrition choices is 'becoming fat'? Because that's seriously what your argument looks like right now. There's lots of ways food can make you 'become unhealthy.' Even a diet with good macros can be deficient in vitamins and micronutrients. Other diets can be highly inflammatory, which is more linked to health risks than just being fat. If you think that BMI or even body fat % is the extent of the nutrition/health picture, then maybe you should try to understand why sumo wrestlers are healthier than a skinny guy with visceral fat, or why most studies show that chubby people (higher than average BMI) live the longest.

All in all, pretty lousy statement there.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
It's obvious that very few of you have attained any kind of admirable muscle mass/strength gain. Therefore you guys have no clue what you're talking about. Like Why said, it really doesn't matter that much - as long as you're eating in caloric excess. Want proof? Here: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/res...ch-review.html

When you're bulking the source of your calories DONT matter (assuming that you're getting enough protein). If you're eating at a ridiculous excess, regardless of what you eat, whether it be broccoli & chicken or a big mac, you WILL gain fat. Eat in a moderate caloric surplus and you'll achieve the same results.

I'm the last to advocate sticking to a fast food diet. But I think very few of you realize how many people are chronic undereaters when it comes to gaining mass. It's easier to bulk on dirty foods and just as effective. Achieve the mass, lean down and then stick to quality foods.

That study is comparing 3 fastfood style meals, it doesn't really prove anything that isn't obvious. I would like to see a different comparison. Compare the Big Mac there with a meal consisting of a chicken breast, whole grain rice, and cottage cheese.

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
turbozed; sumo wrestlers are healthier than a skinny guy with visceral fat said:

turbozed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fang66
Bollocks

Not bollocks (or whatever the appropriate resident of Britain slang for that would be).

Read up a bit on visceral vs subcutaneous fat. Here's a start:

http://discovermagazine.com/2007/feb...tart:int=1&-C=

Sumo wrestlers are a colorful and instructive exception. Big, big eaters and artificially obese, they look like prime candidates for heart disease and diabetes and would definitely fail the belt test. Nevertheless, Hamdy reports, they are "extremely insulin sensitive and don't have hypertension." Body scans reveal that sumo wrestlers typically have little visceral fat, presumably because they exercise six to eight hours a day. Most of what hangs over their mawashis is subcutaneous fat.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads