• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DRIES VAN NOTEN Fall / Winter 2013

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

DRIES VAN NOTEN

Fall / Winter 2013-2014

spacepope

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Season's best

Never got around to looking at the Woman's, thanks.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dries is just so consistently good, yet remains so easily recognisable.

I suppose when you've been putting together patters and colours like that for 20+ years it's probably hard to get it wrong, but it's still almost a shock when I see some of the combinations he comes up with and how good they look. Perhaps it's more of a styling thing than a designing thing, whatever, it's still a constant source of inspiration.

Last edited:

djt00

Reaction score
Dries is always one of the most interesting

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Love Dries. He can make the weirdest things look cool. Pyschedelic pajama time!

Even though the prints seem all over the place, there's coherence with color and scale. Plus how can you go wrong with sandals and furry socks? :)

Last edited:

el Bert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kinda makes me think of Etro in the use of the prints

Zeemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i actually find the more tech-y collections like S/S 2012 and S/S 2013 better than these seventies/weird-print-combination collections

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
stunning collection, there's a lot to enjoy

my only gripe is with some of the models suffering from what appears to be shrunken-head syndrome, the distorted proportions are not sitting well on a few. that, the few fringe-y things, and the socks+sandals which is just too nerdy a combo for me to like ever.

but incredible use of prints and seemingly incoherent ones done so elegantly here !

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't know how this collection avoided looking gauche or channeling all the wrong elements of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, but I salute Dries for pulling it off.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Men

Video will not embed. But here's the link.

Women

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Parker, here's another one It's true we're in Etro territory here but Dries' eye for patterns and colors and how the two combine is unmatched, he knows just when to stop whereas Etro tends to go overboard more often than not. I also think the play on volumes is key here, most of the stuff wouldn't look nearly as good in an all slim fitting configuration, to me Dries is at his best when he's working with looser silhouettes (tailored stuff or not). I particularly like the huge jackets/sport coats here, shrunken-head syndrome notwithstanding. That said, not really fond of the big ass paisley stuff and the leather pants. Nancy Rohde always does a great job with the styling. Green mohair-like socks are a yes. RTW is perfection.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads