• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

College Student: Desire for new wardrobe, no idea where to start

tryingtolearn17

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am a college student in MA, USA. I am currently looking to improve my entire wardrobe. I dress prep, mostly polo sneakers, nice jeans, and banana republic/jcrew t shirts. I would like to find some brown and black shoes that I can wear to school w/o looking to dressy. I mostly wear blue jeans and khakis, I figured I could match the shoes according to my shirt. Any advice would be appreciated. I would like to spend $100-$250 on shoes. Shirts..cheaper the better.

Thank you

4characters

Reaction score
Last edited:

4characters

Reaction score
shog[1].gif
yea, I'm a little proud...

This company sells stuff that fits the college budget:
https://www.weargustin.com/store

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like those boots too but blue footwear is difficult to work with... not for a first pair for sure...

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was out of college but my first pair of nice but casual shoes were dark brown suede boots from Barneys Coop. Great quality and purchased on sale for about $150. I haven't been able to come across them on sale in a while but you may want to keep an eye out on their website for markdowns. IN the good old days (2-3 years ago) you could come across some great items on the buy/sell subforums here.

OliverGauffe

Reaction score
Just how preppy are we talking? If you want something that will be versatile enough for any occasion, I would go for some of the models that are high quality but look a bit worn, it gives a good impression of authenticity, world traveller-ish if you will. Sounds like money isn't much of an issue for you, so you've actually got loads of choices. For most people your age that budget for shoes is a dream. Have a look at these shoes, kind of the look I'm trying to describe.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's my take - suede scuffs easy and the soles on those shoes don't look like something I'd want to wear in bad weather. A lot depends on how much you're walking around and what seasons you want to wear the shoes in. If you can stretch a bit, the Allen Edmonds Wilbert is on sale for $240. Very stylish and the rubber sole is more suitable to rain/light snow with it's tred. I'm betting if you checked you could get a pair of seconds for even less. For a lot of outdoor wear, rubber soles still make a lot of sense.
http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF1951_1_40000000001_-1

mixProtocol

Reaction score
+1 to what johng said. I recently bought the discontinued Allen Edmonds Cascade in brown (seen here), which is basically the boot version of the Wilbert -- Seconds price from an AE outlet is $159. Either of these will take a good shine while still staying casual.

billythekid

Reaction score
+1 on the previous two. I'd probably go a little dressier though. Those wont go with a suit later--get something you can wear with nice jeans and a suit. Definitely not the blue shoes.

4characters

Reaction score
I like those boots too but blue footwear is difficult to work with... not for a first pair for sure...
Definitely not the blue shoes.
As a clarification I wasn’t suggesting getting White's boots in navy CXL I was suggesting White’s boots as a whole. I’d prefer to think I have the only boots in this specific configuration.
smile.gif

This may be a better example:

or even the Wolverine 1K Mile:

or Chippewa

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to respectfully disagree with a couple posts.
1) the advice to buy shoes that go with a suit and jeans? I'm sorry, but that doesn't work well as far as I'm concerned. Either the shoes look bad with a suit or look way to formal for jeans. Don't try to buy shoes that work with both jeans and a suit. Especially when you don't even know yet what purpose the suit will serve if/when you buy one. For example, if your future career does not require a suit - and most do not, you'll be wearing it for weddings and funerals - so once a year or so. You can buy a perfectly good pair of J&M or Coles for $120 that will last you a decade and look good wearing them a couple times a year - AND they will fit comfortably right off (cheaper leather). But, they will look much more appropriate for a suit than trying to bridge a pair of shoes between the suit and your jeans.

2) White's boots. I have a pair and like them very much. BUT, spending $400 on a pair of boots when you're in college is a bit overkill. That's a ton of cash to spend on a single pair of footwear. Consider spending that when you have the rest of your wardrobe built up. Not as your first pair of decent shoes. You may find that you do not actually like wearing boots all the time. And, make no mistake, they are work boots in form factor. They're fairly comfortable for work boots but they're still work boots.

Whatever you decide, I would caution against getting something too outrageous in color or style. Just because people notice your footwear doesn't always mean they notice it in a positive way.

Best of luck in your choice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads