1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

CBD WAYWRN: An Experiment

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Mar 11, 2011.

1. MrChris

MrChris Well-Known Member

Thank's
    Purchased at Jungmann Wilhelm & Neffe in Vienna.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  2. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

3. NORE

NORE Well-Known Member

Going on TV Spooner?

4. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

Very rumpled, end-of-day f'length...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

Looks very nice but you should get the trouser legs narrowed a bit - they look a bit too full to me

6. sugarbutch

Russian Victor suggested the same in the WAYWRN thread. I haven't had any trousers narrowed, so I will probably have the tailor experiment with some others before turning the shears loose on these.

7. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

It's a pretty simple operation and can be done with limited r no cutting at all (so that it can be re-adjusted if needed. Just make sure it's completely pinned all the way down (no lazy shortcuts) and that you're happy with how it looks pinned. I would bring a little more taper too if I were you - the leg opening looks a tad wide as well.

8. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

Confirms it - most definitely in need of a slimming/taper. Coat is rather slimming and clean cut but bottom is too baggy. Just doesn't work (unless you subscribe to the o/o theory of fit)

9. NORE

NORE Well-Known Member

Totally disagree with gdl, butch. Slimming the pants will make you look top heavy. No good.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  10. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

:confused: are we looking at the same pictures ?

11. NORE

NORE Well-Known Member

Yes, his waist isn't narrow enough for slimmer pants, let alone a slimmer cuff opening. I think this can be seen better from the side angle. A surefire way to know if one should have pants slimmed is if they have to have the jacket slimmed at the waist down to the vent(s).

12. sugarbutch

For the record, the side view would look a bit different today. I've lost 25 lbs. since those pics were taken...

In other news, Vox is the CBD killer today:

[​IMG]

13. NORE

NORE Well-Known Member

sb, I didn't mean to insult you. It's just some suits/cuts/coats/figures require a fuller pant. Congrats on teh weight loss.

14. sugarbutch

No offense taken at all, just wanted the debate to proceed based on current facts! :lol:

15. NORE

NORE Well-Known Member

Cool. I think gdl has seen the wisdom in my post, tho.

16. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

What Vox has on above is exactly what I am wearing right now as well. Except my tie is a silver grendadine garza fina.

17. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

I have no idea what this means. If you don't see it, then you don't - that's OK with me

Nope, see above. No comprendo your point

Sure - but not this one. Coat is lean with clean lines everywhere.

Even more relevant if subarbutch lost so much weight - there's no point swimming in his pants

18. NORE

NORE Well-Known Member

You're losing it, bro. Did you not see that sleevehead/back of the coat? The fact that the jacket seemed to hide extra weight? (confirmed by butch's comment above re weight loss). What you suggested he do is tantamount to when that youngun here had his DB nipped/slimmed and hilarity ensued. Think about it.

Edit: I just realized that what I say is frequently cut so short that the point is frequently missed so allow me to elaborate:

Sorry bro (I feel like Foo here) where do you see clean lines everywhere? Do you not see the bulge created by the pocket square (meaning too tight in the chest) and the subsequent pulling at the middle button?
    [​IMG]

the sleevehead situation and the vast folding in the rear of the coat?
    [​IMG]

Also, if the jacket fell straight down in the profile pic (say, from the buttoning point down) or, fell how it did because it was too big, then he would need the jacket slimmed and having the pants also slimmed would be a no-brainer. Not the case here I'm afraid.

If you still don't get it, ah well. TEHO

EDIT: To Each His Own.

:)

19. Mr. Pink

Mr. Pink Well-Known Member

As someone who's been through slimming pants in response to SF comments only to have them all let out again, I'd advise you proceed cautiously. SF has a real preference for slimmer pants. After experimentation, I have a strong preference pants full enough to fill the bottom of the jacket tapering cone-shaped to the shoe. I find it more comfortable and more elegant, but to each his own. Looking at the photos, I would taper the pants slightly from the knee and shorten just a bit.