• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can anybody help me decide between a Burberry, Grenfell, or SEH Kelly trench?

SmellCrossestheLine

Reaction score
I am in the market for a trench coat to wear over blazers and suits on rainy days during the warmer months.

I have come across a Burberry coat and a Grenfell one, both in my size and preferred colour (black). The grenfell is just over half the price of the Burberry. Besides its name, is there any reason to pay more for Burberry? Is the Grenfell of comparable quality?

From what I can tell, both have water resistant cotton and make coats in England. The higher price of the Burberry coat is curious given that they're made in Yorkshire whilst Grenfell is made in London. I've heard the Grenfell fabric is heavier weight and may not be suitable for hot weather.

Lastly, there is a company called SEH Kelly which makes a trench coat out of aramid cloth, which is properly waterproof as oppossed to water-resistant. So what do you all think?

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Burberry is a fashion brand now similar to Prada or Gucci. That, and that alone, is the reason for the higher price. I'm not saying it's not high quality, but the extra cost is for the label not the garment. I'd go with the Grenfell. I'd also take a look and see if Baracuta or Gloverall have something that appeals to you.

bluespirit

Reaction score
For trench coats --

New: Grenfell, Mackintosh, Private White V.C. (the trade name of Cooper & Stollbrand), L'Impermeabile, Herno
Vintage: Burberry, Aquascutum

Baracuta and Gloverall do not make trench/rain coats as far as i know

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For trench coats --

New: Grenfell, Mackintosh, Private White V.C. (the trade name of Cooper & Stollbrand), L'Impermeabile, Herno
Vintage: Burberry, Aquascutum

Baracuta and Gloverall do not make trench/rain coats as far as i know
You're right. Gloverall doesn't make rain coats at all. Baracuta does make longer rain coats, but their not strict trench coats in design. I'm assuming that the OP is looking for the classic trench coat (double breasted, belted and with epaulets).

bluespirit

Reaction score
You're right. Gloverall doesn't make rain coats at all. Baracuta does make longer rain coats, but their not strict trench coats in design. I'm assuming that the OP is looking for the classic trench coat (double breasted, belted and with epaulets).
There are also variants without epaulets that are good, such as the trench coat on the right side of this picture (showing the difference with a bad cut on the left):

1550230142-test-55903fa-1.jpg

Last edited:

Cliffnopus

Reaction score
I have a Private White V.C. trench and I love it. It's the Simon Crompton collaboration version. Has a great look to it.

oz_boater

Reaction score
There are also variants without epaulets that are good, such as the trench coat on the right side of this picture (showing the difference with a bad cut on the left):

1550230142-test-55903fa-1.jpg
To be fair, that Trench on the right is a bespoke coat by "The Finery Company" in Sydney Australia.

I stopped by and had a chat with them last Saturday and it seems a Bespoke trench such as that will set you back around what a 'off the rack' Burberry would cost in Oz.

Charles_01

Reaction score
Of course! For a classic look, choose Burberry. Grenfell offers tradition and durability, while Seh Kelly brings a minimalist touch. Pick the one that suits your style.

bluespirit

Reaction score
Some of Grenfell's designs are copies of original designs from other brands.

Grenfell's Kensington = Burberry's Kensington
Grenfell's Harrington = Barracuta's G9

Still a good brand though (and it's common practice in the industry - bootmakers often copy iconic designs of other brands for instance)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads