• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying my first Crockett & Jones

sf_esq

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Warren G.
Awesome thread..was gonna post the same thing. Starting next year..I'll be starting building my dress shoe wardrobe.

Excuse me if it seems that I'm butting into your thread. But if you guys can only have 3x pair of C&J; which pairs would you guys get? =p

I've been eyeing on the Audly black, Belgrave chestnut, and and Weymouth / Westfield dark brown.

Those are nice and diverse color and style choices. I own the Belgrave and Welbeck in Black and the Hallam in beechnut. Next is the Westbourne in chestnut.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awesome thanks.
I wonder how I failed to search that lolz.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A couple of months ago I was planning on getting a beechnut Hallam as my first pair of C&J, as I like the look of it (both in pictures and while actually handling it). But on my foot it was too elongated for my taste, so I'm sticking to the more rounded models (which still looks sleek enough for me). My size is 8.5.
Originally Posted by Warren G.
But if you guys can only have 3x pair of C&J; which pairs would you guys get?

Since joining SF I've bought these: Bradford, Dartmouth and Chelsea (I have the classic black captoe covered by a 15 years old pair of Church Consuls which I've just gotten resoled by Church).

My next pair will be some dark brown suede chukkas - not sure what model...

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
However, some people do prefer the 348 last that the Hallam is on over than the 337 last that the Audley and Belgrave are on, as it has a more elongated, more sharply chiseled toe. I chose it specifically for this reason as I wanted it to stand out more against a sea of black cap toes, but honestly I regret it just a bit--the Audley would've been better for any job interviews or funerals down the line, it is much more of the quintessential sober shoe.

I'm not sure on a black shoe if you would see any difference in quality of leather. Apparently the finishing is a little nicer, though I can't really speak to any specific differences that I've noticed. It is a noticeably nicer shoe than any of my AEs in styling and finish, and I was also struck by how much lighter is was than my Sohos.

Told ya so...Man, you should've listened and gotten the Audley or Belgrave instead! I picked up the black PRL Benton during the last GVH frenzy and have no regrets. Along with my AE PA, they're my only black shoes.

Originally Posted by MetroStyles
I do prefer the more elongated look myself, but for the sake of making this a versatile shoe, maybe I should stick with the 337? The one thing I know I want (and can get away with) is something less conservative than my AEs. Is the 337 considerably sleeker than most AEs? I don't need super fashion-forward runway shoes, but I would like something with a little more wow factor than Park Avenues.

Then I suggest the C&J Belgrave punch cap on the 337 or PRL Benton (it's the same shoe). Don't know if GVH has any stock left of the later. Measures to about the same length as the AE PA, but toe shapes cannot be mistaken one for the other. Josef Seibel's side by side pic of his Audley and PA is quite representative of the differences.

Originally Posted by Bumble_Bee
337 fits the bill. 348 is quite elongated and narrower than 337. 337 is elongated as well to a certain degree. They are both versatile, but 348 fits better with the pimp look while 337 is more compatible with a conservative look. Of course, that's only my opinion and you will hear a different opinion from the numerous 348 supporters.

Fair assessment. 348 chisel looks great on my Chestnut Wetsbourne, while 337 is nice(r) for my black punch caps. I believe (stick) length is about the same in both lasts.

txeconomist

Reaction score
I purchased the Benton cap toe from GVH and I like it pretty well. I find it a little more elongated than id prefer, and feels a little narrow as well. I purchased it in 10D, which per the box it came in corresponds to a UK 9.5.

Oddly enough, I purchased the Connaught in a UK 9.5 form PLAL and it wasnt even close to fitting. Way too big. I am now very apprehensive to purcahse any UK sized shoe over the net...as I lost some $60 + in the transaction do to shipping to the US and Back to Malaysia. If I had exchanged them for a diffrent size I would have recieved free shipping on the way back... but I still didnt know what size to buy. Im guessing Im a 9G but just not sure...

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that txeconomist...As for me, my C&J Westbourne UK8E and PRL Benton US9D (shoebox didn't indicate UK size) fit pretty much the same. I'd attribute any difference in fit to last shape rather than size. I go 1 full size between US and UK sizes. Had I purchased the C&J Belgrave instead of the PRL Benton, I would have ordered it in 8E, not 8.5E. I'm lucky as my feet are rather easy to fit at a measured US9D...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads