• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boldly facing the balding issue

hennree

Reaction score

I have no idea why men go berserk with weird folk remedies when it comes to hair loss.

I started thinning a little at 24. I'm 29 now. I started taking generic Propecia, using nizoral 2% shampoo, and it's stopped dead in it's tracks. My hair is noticeably more thick than other men my age and I dont have any ED issues. Just go online and order that stuff tonight.

Minoxidil also works, but it breaks me out.

Had any side affects from anything you use i.e Propecia?

NHS website scared me off with the 'unknown frequency' of breast cancer as a side-affect;

http://www.nhs.uk/medicine-guides/p...n=Hair and scalp conditions&medicine=Propecia

As for my situation, my hairline started receding at the front when I was 18 but luckily loss has been minimal. I'm now 23. As soon as I noticed it I started taking vitamin supplements and started eating much more healthily. I now use Alpecin caffeine shampoo which is supposed to help hair loss and make hair stronger. I don't know if it does, but I'd rather use something that claims to do that than a regular shampoo.

My dad is bald and my older brothers hair had receded way past my current point by the time he was 19. Mine seems to have stopped.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Good to know. Thanks. Could you suggest any brands of shampoo I should buy?

I googled nizoral. It seems there is a brand called this way but the Nizoral shampoo is against dandruff.

Their is research to back it; more than research associated with other types of shampoos for hairloss. I shampoo once a week and I use nizoral and also mix in some thickening shampoo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketoconazole#Hair_loss

I take it not liking the grounded pillow idea either? :) The idea in part with grounding is that is helps with protecting from EMFs or electrical pollution. Doing a google search there are a number of hits on EMF pollution and hair loss. I know, it's different, but possibly the idea is helping me. Time will tell.

One of the first search engine finds.

"EMF disturbances and hair loss"

http://www.hairgrowthuk.co.uk/blog/index.php/emf-disturbances-and-hair-loss/

You've got to be kidding me. When you read stuff like this do you think it's scientific?

Had any side affects from anything you use i.e Propecia?

NHS website scared me off with the 'unknown frequency' of breast cancer as a side-affect;

http://www.nhs.uk/medicine-guides/p...n=Hair and scalp conditions&medicine=Propecia

As for my situation, my hairline started receding at the front when I was 18 but luckily loss has been minimal. I'm now 23. As soon as I noticed it I started taking vitamin supplements and started eating much more healthily. I now use Alpecin caffeine shampoo which is supposed to help hair loss and make hair stronger. I don't know if it does, but I'd rather use something that claims to do that than a regular shampoo.

My dad is bald and my older brothers hair had receded way past my current point by the time he was 19. Mine seems to have stopped.

I have not had any side effects. One study said that only 2% of men have them, and they go away after discontinuing use. Of all the side effects I've read about, ED is the only one that would cause me to discontinue use.

The wiki citation link for this is down now, but this is soposidly from the study "The agency concluded that, although overall incidence of male breast cancer in clinical trials for finasteride 5 mg was not significantly increased, a higher risk of male breast cancer with finasteride use cannot be excluded."

I don't see that as a smoking gun.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads