• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best hangers for vintage jackets?

prof.contingency

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Just a bit of an update. I bought some of the vintage Setwell hangers. Quick question. The arms on the hangers curve/bow forward, whereas other regular modern and vintage hangers, the arms are perfectly flat. It's kind of hard to show in the photos, but basically the arms curve forward on the hangers. The do not lay perfectly flat.

Is this forward bowing normal for hangers or are these somehow warped or something?

uw99zwv.jpg

9irEMJ8.jpg

Great find! To answer your question, that is perfectly normal, and is part of the design to better conform to the natural shape of our bodies (and, in turn, our garments). Only the higher end hangers will have them.

Some of them are carved to be that way (see Nakata). Some , like the Setwell, are joined to be that way.

See this picture for a top-down view of the Nakata AUT-03 that illustrates the same effect:
aut03_4_1680x.jpg

Last edited:

captainshields

Reaction score
Great find! To answer your question, that is perfectly normal, and is part of the design to better conform to the natural shape of our bodies (and, in turn, our garments). Only the higher end hangers will have them.

Some of them are carved to be that way (see Nakata). Some , like the Setwell, are joined to be that way.

See this picture for a top-down view of the same effect:
View attachment 1719637

Thanks! I didn't know that. Glad it's normal. These vintage Setwell hangers seem very high quality

prof.contingency

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks! So would these hangers only be proper for tailored suit jackets or would they also be good for regular heavier coats and jackets?

Others (maybe, dieworkwear?) can chime in here. But I think the best way is to think of it as a multidimensional spectrum of "support" requirements. And, how does one render support? Well, thicker shoulders to start. And, to have a hanger width that is more appropriate (i.e. don't put 400mm on a Size 54). I am sure there are others. Nonetheless, the general heuristics are these:

(P) The heavier the garment -> The more support it needs
(Q) Coats need more support than jackets, which, in turn, need more support than shirts
(R) The more loosely woven (e.g. knitwear)) -> The more support it needs.

Thusly, it is possible that a loosely woven jacket may trump a particular coat. It all depends.

At the risk of appearing bias, those Setwell look a bit too thin for my liking for most suits/jackets.

captainshields

Reaction score
Others (maybe, dieworkwear?) can chime in here. But I think the best way is to think of it as a multidimensional spectrum of "support" requirements. And, how does one render support? Well, thicker shoulders to start. And, to have a hanger width that is more appropriate (i.e. don't put 400mm on a Size 54). I am sure there are others. Nonetheless, the general heuristics are these:

(P) The heavier the garment -> The more support it needs
(Q) Coats need more support than jackets, which, in turn, need more support than shirts
(R) The more loosely woven (e.g. knitwear)) -> The more support it needs.

Thusly, it is possible that a loosely woven jacket may trump a particular coat. It all depends.

At the risk of appearing bias, those Setwell look a bit too thin for my liking for most suits/jackets.

Thank you!
And as far as thickness, these are actually the thickest hangers I own or have seen for sale. They are about twice as thick as most other vintage coat hangers I've seen

prof.contingency

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I never hang knitwear. Doesn’t matter the weight or thickness, its always lightly folded or rolled and placed in a drawer.

Yes, you are quite right. I certainly don't think people should hang jumpers (leads to stretching). But what if it's a knitted polo?

Would the benefits for no wrinkling + breathability trump the risk of stretching, if at all?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marcell