• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Baron boutique shirt buttons..

billiebob

Reaction score
Just a quick heads up to say I got a Baron Boutique shirt, and specified mother of pearl buttons.

Instead of mother or pearl buttons, I got big plastic hemispheres with a shank. (Pearls!) It would be funnier if it didn't cost nearly $60.
plain.gif

So, in case you decide to get a baron shirt, take my advice and stick to the standard buttons. Feel free to PM me about the shirt itself if you would like some info about that.

paul

Reaction score
confused.gif

I attempted to inform (warn) members about Baron Boutique! Remember my comments on July 13, 2006? If not, review comments from that date.

Rolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by billiebob
(Pearls!) It would be funnier if it didn't cost nearly $60.
plain.gif

Even at $60, you have to admit it's pretty darn funny.

Sad, but funny.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I, too have had a bad experience with Baron. I was planning on sending them a suit to copy (a cheapo H&M number, the cut of which I liked, but which wouldn't break my heart if it were lost by the Nepal postal service) as a test-run to guage their quality. I figured it was safer than doing my own measurements and possibly ending up with baboon-sleeves. Raj Bista was answering my emails very kindly and professionally, and even said he'd send me swatches for free (the prices posted on the web are apparently to deter folks from ordering swatches and never coming back). Then all of a sudden, he stopped emailing me back. A few weeks went by with me sending periodic "you still there?" emails, but nothing. Now I don't know what to think.

Suits me fine though, as the cost of shipping my suit to Nepal, plus Baron's canvassing premium (which is now $60) plus the suit itself (probably $300+ for a decent fabric) would likely have put the suit up over Thick as Thieves prices. While none of us has yet handled a TaT suit in real life, I'll bet dollars to donuts that Jason's product is better than Mr. Bista's. I'd much rather support GetSmart's enterprise anyway.

wheelerray

Reaction score
I just returned from Kathmandu, Nepal. While there I looked up Baron Botique. Its a hole-in-the-wall shop with some low quality bolts of fabric on hand plus a few swatch books with marginally higher quality fabric. I did not really expect much else, since all work in these small tailor shops is usually outsourced to local manufacturers.

I took a good-fitting Jentzon shirt and a pair of Hugo Boss slacks of fairly low quality fabric and construction that fit great with me for them to copy, hoping to get some good shirts and slacks at a good price since I would not have to pay shipping from Nepal.

Even though I left the shirt and pants with them to copy, they did them wrong. The shirt collar was 1-1/2 " small, and the cuffs were 1/2" undersized.
The fusing used in the collar and sleeves was also stiff and obviously of low quality, this despite assuring me they could match the quality of the original. They also missed stiching in the collar tab slots.

The pants were not an exact copy, being larger in the thigh than the original I brought with me. They also forgot to add the non-slip piece I requested in the waistband to keep the shirttail from untucking.

They remade both the shirt and pants to correct their errors, but neither was ultimately of the quality I'd hoped for--and my expectations were fairly low.

I had planned on ordering several shirts and a few pants depending how the first ones turned out, but did not order any more. The shirt was about $25.00 US, and the pants $32.00, but not worth it. If you're thinking of using them, I suggest you do not.

I will instead keep an eye on the sales at Nordstrom Rack, and order from Jentzen if I want specific colors/fabrics.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads