or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Article in The New York Observer
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Article in The New York Observer - Page 2

post #16 of 26
When was Ellen Moers' book published? On alibris I find books from 1960 and 1st editions from 1978, which seems inconsistent.
post #17 of 26
Quote:
When was Ellen Moers' book published? On alibris I find books from 1960 and 1st editions from 1978, which seems inconsistent.
Mine was published in 1960 which is what I've seen most to be at. Sometimes the sellers either lie or have no idea as to what the credentials of a first edition are.
post #18 of 26
2 are from 1960. Maybe a 2nd print rather than 2nd edition. http://www.alibris.com/search....qsort=r
post #19 of 26
Quote:
2 are from 1960. Maybe a 2nd print rather than 2nd edition. http://www.alibris.com/search....qsort=r
Yes, that text could be a sort of ne plus ultra for this very obscure subject matter. However I could also suggest Joris-Karl Huysmans' novel "A Rebours" which further details through contextual fiction the little adventures albeit perverse of the main character, a dandy. Lovely sensory detailings.
post #20 of 26
Quote:
that text could be a sort of ne plus ultra for this very obscure subject matter.
Just ordered it.
post #21 of 26
Have you read Balzac's "Traité de la vie élégante"? It popped up in amazon.fr when I looked up Barbey's d'Aurevilly's book. I don't know if it's been translated and if so what the English title may be. Mathieu
post #22 of 26
Quote:
Have you read Balzac's "Traité de la vie élégante"? It popped up in amazon.fr when I looked up Barbey's d'Aurevilly's book. I don't know if it's been translated and if so what the English title may be. Mathieu
I have read parts of it but not in its entirety. Honore de Balzac may be less of an authority on dandyism than say Baudelaire who wore exclusively black to mourn for the world.
post #23 of 26
If you read French, a good book on the subject is Masculin Singulier: Le Dandyisme et Son Histoire by Marylene Delbourg - Delphis. It has sections on these subgroups like the Incroyables and the Muscadins that emerged as a reaction to the leveling of the French revolution and runs right through to the Velvet Underground. Balzac is an authority on dandyism to the extent that he created the greatest dandy literary hero of all time, Lucien de Rubempre, in his novel Lost Illusions. A definition of dandyism I have always liked is a phrase F. Scott Fitzgerald applied to Jay Gatsby: "an unending series of successful gestures." It captures the idea of a frivolity to which a unique and apparent imagination has been applied, a surface trifle that has a large impact on others despite its putative insignificance.
post #24 of 26
Quote:
If you read French, a good book on the subject is Masculin Singulier: Le Dandyisme et Son Histoire by Marylene Delbourg - Delphis.  It has sections on these subgroups like the Incroyables and the Muscadins that emerged as a reaction to the leveling of the French revolution and runs right through to the Velvet Underground. Balzac is an authority on dandyism to the extent that he created the greatest dandy literary hero of all time, Lucien de Rubempre, in his novel Lost Illusions. A definition of dandyism I have always liked is a phrase F. Scott Fitzgerald applied to Jay Gatsby: "an unending series of successful gestures."  It captures the idea of a frivolity to which a unique and apparent imagination has been applied, a surface trifle that has a large impact on others despite its putative insignificance.
Greatest may be subjective but there have been others who perhaps exceed Balzac's creation in terms of sartorial prowess if not literay notability. For example Swann in Marcel Proust's "Recherche de Temps Perdu," or that perennial Dorian Gray. One can also make a case for Baron de Charlus. Then there is Theophile Gautier's "Mademoiselle de Maupin," and Benjamain Disraeli's Vivien Grey.
post #25 of 26
Well, I think my vote must go for Dorian Gray.....
post #26 of 26
I found this online (looking for something else): http://www.worldwideschool.org/library....p1.html
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Article in The New York Observer