Indeed I do.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- After Hours Look Last post on 2/23/14 at 5:19pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Who's the SF-approved guy in my salsa class? Last post on 8/8/11 at 4:14am in Classic Menswear
- *6/25 DROPS*Fs: Geller, W+h, Gitman, Ndg, Sda, Ov, Ervell, APC, etc. Last post on 6/25/11 at 5:48am in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
- The Trend Back to Wide Legs and Flares? Last post on 3/28/11 at 12:34pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Is this Louis Vuitton t-shirt working for me? Last post on 2/23/11 at 12:38am in Classic Menswear
What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Last edited: 9/2/13
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Andrew Lock
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Mod to Suedehead - Page 890
Styleforum Top Picks
I have been trying to think of what I wear now that I didn't wear as a teenager. The list is surprisingly short.
I now always wear a white T-shirt under BD shirts. Back then I had only just escaped having to wear vests (singlets) bought by mum. For some reason we always had to 'keep our chests warm'. We wore Ben Shermans without any vest.I started wearing Fruit of the Loom T shirts in my 20's.
I always wear a belt with jeans,trousers. Back then my made to measure trousers had side adjusters and Levi jeans were shrunk to fit (I did the sitting in the bath routine) Sta prest were worn without a belt, but sometimes with braces.
I have black jeans now, but not then (could they be bought in 1969?)
Outdoor wear like Gore Tex jackets didn't exist then but are worn now.
I wear a flat cap in Winter now. Back then I didn't wear anything on the head. (I liked trilbys with crombies but my mob didn't get them)
The big difference is that most clothes today are made in China and back then they would have been made in UK. We used to use the phase 'your clothes are made in Hong Kong, or Empire' to slag other boys off. Off course Made in Italy or USA had some status. I don't need to buy much today but I still make an effort to buy clothes made in UK, USA and Italy .
thought I might as well throw this in.
With bespoke suits still all the rage, as most lads began to grow their hair into what some termed 'suedehead', others still preferred the close cropped look of previous years.
Oi, Buttons who are you calling Fat,bald and skint? I am only one of the three with a no.0 compared with a no.3 back then. I'm not fat because I like running (some say I was always light on my toes) and I'm not skint, mainly due to the fact that I have avoided divorce
Not being divorced means that my missus makes most of my decisions socially wise and so the answer is, sadly, no to Margate. Is that the Skinhead jamboree later in the month?
The big skinhead thing is this weekend.
There's a few lads off here going (from all generations!). Looking forward to it.
Good list, Mr. Badger. Here's mine, usual disclaimer about personal opinion only etc.
Do/ would wear:
Sheepskin (on list for winter)
Fly-fronted mac (still looking)
John Smedley knitwear (shirts, pullovers: long sleeve & sleeveless)
Sta-Prest (nearest equivalent can find; intend to try Brooks Brothers' flat-front Milano fit)
BD shirts (plain or striped rather than check)
Suits: 3-button, narrow lapel etc.
Shoes: longwing brogue, Oxfords, smooths/ Derby, desert boots, loafers
Don't wear/ probably wouldn't wear (but never say never):
denim jeans (haven't had any for 20+ years so just got out of wearing them)
denim jacket (don't seem to see old style without side-pockets anyway)
tie-pin in pocket
Don't wear but might:
Two-tone Tonik suit (probably not the green/gold I had in 71/72 but maybe something more "muted")
DMs (Wore my mid-70s pair at football through to early 80s when they were relegated to "gardening". As that involved precious little use they ended up binned on a house move in last ten years - pity as they were made in England. Not been tempted by them since then but the William Lennon versions posted recently look pretty good.)
I am currently sat here in a 3 button stone coloured suit with flat fronted trousers, pale blue BD oxford weave Ben Sherman (dyed myself), rose brown 'English' brogues, light blue/yellow patterned tie. I wouldn't normally go for this colour combo for work but it's the staff BBQ this afternoon and the sun is shining........
I always wear 100 leather shoes for work, this has meant 'English' or 'Royals' type brogues for a quite a few years but has also included Oxfords (with a toe cap)
I own (and wear) 2 Harrington jackets - one sky blue (obviously!), one plum coloured.
I own 3 Levi Jackets, one indigo, one naturally faded and one I have dyed brown - all of these are the original 70500 pattern. (I also own a stone wash 'trucker' style Levi jacket with side pockets but only wear it under a 3/4 length brown leather jacket.)
I wear Levi 501s - Indigo, naturally faded and stone washed. (but not turned up)
In the last few months I have bought 2 gingham BD Ben Shermans (one sky, one navy)
I occasionally wear sleeveless pullovers. Last winter I saw a beautiful Gant fair-isle sleeveless pullover - very subtle blues, greys and maroon. I knew it would be expensive so waited for the sale - when I eventually went in to buy it, it was too big for me.
I have recently bought a stone coloured fly fronted mac and have really enjoyed wearing it
For my 18th birthday my parents bought me a knee length sheepskin coat, I still have it, it still fits (what's all this, fat, bald and skint......?) and yes, in the winter, I still wear it.
I have 2 Fred Perrys
I still have 2 pairs of Doc Martens - one Cherry Red, one black. Cherry Red ones I've had since the 1970's and have 'Made In England' on the sole - I hardly ever wear either pair - only very rarely to walk to the pub in the snow i.e. once or twice a year.
I would wear a 3 button two tone suit, if only I had somewhere to wear it - it would be completely lost on my current mates, none of whom are of the style and if I turned up at Wetherspoon's in it, people would ask who'd died!
I haven't worn braces since I was 18 and don't think I ever will.
Some years ago I bought a very nice dark grey, fly fronted crombie. I hardly wore it as I couldn't think when it would be suitable. I gave it away in the end.
However, as previously stated, the clothes of my youth influence, rather than dictate my current style. I wear lots of other stuff not connected to the skinhead/suedehead look. I wear business suits for work everyday - currently none of them are 3 button (some are 3 piece) Not all of my work shirts are BD. Away from work I wear different types of t-shirts and other makes of jeans besides Levis. There are no wrong or right clothes, only what is appropriate.
Edited by roytonboy - 7/5/13 at 2:53am
- Mod to Suedehead
Styleforum Top Picks
- › What are you drinking right now? 4 minutes ago
- › Official 2014 College Football Season Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 7 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 8 minutes ago
- › Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II 11 minutes ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread 12 minutes ago
- › Introduce yourself. 13 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 15 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread 15 minutes ago
- › Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned? 16 minutes ago
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Men’s Jewellery Trends 2014/15
- › Watch and Jewellery Trends: Black on Black...
- › Trend Forecasting 2015: Men’s Accessories
- › Patek Philippe 175th Anniversary
- › Office Casual - The Death of the Neck Tie?
- › Best Website For The Movies?
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...