Indeed I do.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 2:06 am in Classic Menswear
- The Minimal Closet: What are your must haves? Last post on 11/8/13 at 9:09pm in Streetwear and Denim
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- STREETWEAR & DENIM: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 8/29/15 at 8:25am in Streetwear and Denim
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 20, 2015 Last post on 7/28/15 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
Last edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Mod to Suedehead - Page 890post #13336 of 241047/4/13 at 12:20ampost #13337 of 241047/4/13 at 12:22ampost #13338 of 241047/4/13 at 12:25ampost #13339 of 241047/4/13 at 12:36ampost #13340 of 241047/4/13 at 3:24am
I have been trying to think of what I wear now that I didn't wear as a teenager. The list is surprisingly short.
I now always wear a white T-shirt under BD shirts. Back then I had only just escaped having to wear vests (singlets) bought by mum. For some reason we always had to 'keep our chests warm'. We wore Ben Shermans without any vest.I started wearing Fruit of the Loom T shirts in my 20's.
I always wear a belt with jeans,trousers. Back then my made to measure trousers had side adjusters and Levi jeans were shrunk to fit (I did the sitting in the bath routine) Sta prest were worn without a belt, but sometimes with braces.
I have black jeans now, but not then (could they be bought in 1969?)
Outdoor wear like Gore Tex jackets didn't exist then but are worn now.
I wear a flat cap in Winter now. Back then I didn't wear anything on the head. (I liked trilbys with crombies but my mob didn't get them)
The big difference is that most clothes today are made in China and back then they would have been made in UK. We used to use the phase 'your clothes are made in Hong Kong, or Empire' to slag other boys off. Off course Made in Italy or USA had some status. I don't need to buy much today but I still make an effort to buy clothes made in UK, USA and Italy .post #13341 of 241047/4/13 at 4:35amseeing as the chat has drifted largely into "what ageing ex-skinheads wear, now they're fat, bald and skint" ....
thought I might as well throw this in.
With bespoke suits still all the rage, as most lads began to grow their hair into what some termed 'suedehead', others still preferred the close cropped look of previous years.post #13342 of 241047/4/13 at 4:54amQuote:
Oi, Buttons who are you calling Fat,bald and skint? I am only one of the three with a no.0 compared with a no.3 back then. I'm not fat because I like running (some say I was always light on my toes) and I'm not skint, mainly due to the fact that I have avoided divorcepost #13343 of 241047/4/13 at 5:08ampost #13344 of 241047/4/13 at 6:55ampost #13345 of 241047/4/13 at 8:45amQuote:
Not being divorced means that my missus makes most of my decisions socially wise and so the answer is, sadly, no to Margate. Is that the Skinhead jamboree later in the month?post #13346 of 241047/4/13 at 9:39amQuote:Well, you must take the rough with the smooth.
The big skinhead thing is this weekend.
There's a few lads off here going (from all generations!). Looking forward to it.post #13347 of 241047/4/13 at 10:05amI was in Ross-On-Wye today, i went into Herrings shoes ( they sell Loake,Barker,Church and their own shoes ) i am still after some long wing brogues,they had some Barker longwings but they had a square/chisel toe and i didnt like the leather,so i am still looking.They did have jodphur boots and oxford toe caps and smoothes,a lot of the stuff was seconds but not all and the prices were all marked down,so it might be worth a look to anyone passing near to the town ( dont bother with the Labels outlet centre on the outskirts though,a waste of time IMO ).post #13348 of 241047/4/13 at 10:10ampost #13349 of 241047/5/13 at 1:23ampost #13350 of 241047/5/13 at 1:25amQuote:Originally Posted by elwood
Good list, Mr. Badger. Here's mine, usual disclaimer about personal opinion only etc.
Do/ would wear:
Sheepskin (on list for winter)
Fly-fronted mac (still looking)
John Smedley knitwear (shirts, pullovers: long sleeve & sleeveless)
Sta-Prest (nearest equivalent can find; intend to try Brooks Brothers' flat-front Milano fit)
BD shirts (plain or striped rather than check)
Suits: 3-button, narrow lapel etc.
Shoes: longwing brogue, Oxfords, smooths/ Derby, desert boots, loafers
Don't wear/ probably wouldn't wear (but never say never):
denim jeans (haven't had any for 20+ years so just got out of wearing them)
denim jacket (don't seem to see old style without side-pockets anyway)
tie-pin in pocket
Don't wear but might:
Two-tone Tonik suit (probably not the green/gold I had in 71/72 but maybe something more "muted")
DMs (Wore my mid-70s pair at football through to early 80s when they were relegated to "gardening". As that involved precious little use they ended up binned on a house move in last ten years - pity as they were made in England. Not been tempted by them since then but the William Lennon versions posted recently look pretty good.)
I am currently sat here in a 3 button stone coloured suit with flat fronted trousers, pale blue BD oxford weave Ben Sherman (dyed myself), rose brown 'English' brogues, light blue/yellow patterned tie. I wouldn't normally go for this colour combo for work but it's the staff BBQ this afternoon and the sun is shining........
I always wear 100 leather shoes for work, this has meant 'English' or 'Royals' type brogues for a quite a few years but has also included Oxfords (with a toe cap)
I own (and wear) 2 Harrington jackets - one sky blue (obviously!), one plum coloured.
I own 3 Levi Jackets, one indigo, one naturally faded and one I have dyed brown - all of these are the original 70500 pattern. (I also own a stone wash 'trucker' style Levi jacket with side pockets but only wear it under a 3/4 length brown leather jacket.)
I wear Levi 501s - Indigo, naturally faded and stone washed. (but not turned up)
In the last few months I have bought 2 gingham BD Ben Shermans (one sky, one navy)
I occasionally wear sleeveless pullovers. Last winter I saw a beautiful Gant fair-isle sleeveless pullover - very subtle blues, greys and maroon. I knew it would be expensive so waited for the sale - when I eventually went in to buy it, it was too big for me.
I have recently bought a stone coloured fly fronted mac and have really enjoyed wearing it
For my 18th birthday my parents bought me a knee length sheepskin coat, I still have it, it still fits (what's all this, fat, bald and skint......?) and yes, in the winter, I still wear it.
I have 2 Fred Perrys
I still have 2 pairs of Doc Martens - one Cherry Red, one black. Cherry Red ones I've had since the 1970's and have 'Made In England' on the sole - I hardly ever wear either pair - only very rarely to walk to the pub in the snow i.e. once or twice a year.
I would wear a 3 button two tone suit, if only I had somewhere to wear it - it would be completely lost on my current mates, none of whom are of the style and if I turned up at Wetherspoon's in it, people would ask who'd died!
I haven't worn braces since I was 18 and don't think I ever will.
Some years ago I bought a very nice dark grey, fly fronted crombie. I hardly wore it as I couldn't think when it would be suitable. I gave it away in the end.
However, as previously stated, the clothes of my youth influence, rather than dictate my current style. I wear lots of other stuff not connected to the skinhead/suedehead look. I wear business suits for work everyday - currently none of them are 3 button (some are 3 piece) Not all of my work shirts are BD. Away from work I wear different types of t-shirts and other makes of jeans besides Levis. There are no wrong or right clothes, only what is appropriate.
Edited by roytonboy - 7/5/13 at 2:53am
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › Leather Quality and Properties 3 minutes ago
- › Artisanal Clothing and accessories discussion (MA+, CCP, Layer-0,... 9 minutes ago
- › Gun Appreciation Thread 14 minutes ago
- › SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread 17 minutes ago
- › What Movies Are You Watching Lately 21 minutes ago
- › Vass 42.5 U-last Double Monk Dark Brown Museum Calf 26 minutes ago
- › Amount of Fabric Needed for Suit and Pants 26 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin's,... 34 minutes ago
- › BNWT Aeronautica Militare Brown Leather jacket/bomber size... 38 minutes ago
- › What kind of coat should I buy for that can handle winter? 40 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding