or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mod to Suedehead - Page 712

post #10666 of 19310
Yes post the rest of your Dad Mike love the one with the car,

On the Subject of Teds ,

post #10667 of 19310

Here you go Roy, 63 we think

post #10668 of 19310

Great photo Basset.  You are certainly a 'chip off the old block'.  Please post more old Ted pics - its good to see the previous generation. 

 

For me The Teds were where the working class sub culture started.  As a young kid I could see that they were different and rebellious when they paraded through the town and my mum would refer to them as yobs.  I could not wait until my turn would arrive and was so glad it would be as an original skinhead.  Although we did not know what we would be  - we just evolved into them.

 

I think I have said before on here that you did not chose your fashion or style .  You were in envy of the older lads when you were say 13 and you could see the stylish blokes and you just wanted to emulate them and impress the girls etc.  Nothing was planned - if it was Ben Sherman shirt that was the business then you would look at what BS there were in the shop and either pick what you had seen the smartest guy wearing or chose a similar shirt

 

I don't recall advertising  as such of what we were wearing - I can recall adverts for what we should be smoking ie No 6 cigarettes, Old Holborn rolling tobacco and the big shaven headed bloke with the Condor pipe tobacco

 

Yes, on reflection I was mainly influenced by the blokes who were about 5 years older - ex mods.  We obviously did not have the media technology of to day so local word of mouth was critical to know what was going on.

post #10669 of 19310

M o M, Kingstonian,Flyfronted, thanks for replying.

Its very interesting to see how stereotypical images of a certain phase in the development of a "look" are represented by the media, don't you think? And then how this representation actually influences the "look" itself...

post #10670 of 19310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basset View Post

Here you go Roy, 63 we think

MG Magnet - that was a proper car to have in the day !!

 

The big quiffs of the late 50s were disappearing during the early /mid 60s like the photo and I remember lots of the teenagers of the time having the greased back hair style that I thought I would eventually be able to have but as a kid we got the usual 'short back and sides' until we went to senior school and then it was the 'Boston' / 'college boy' and then the crop.

 

Again you cannot predict the future.  As as a young kid I thought I would grow up to be a Teddy Boy (as I did not realize that times and fashions changed) when I reached a teenage but it was to be a skinhead

post #10671 of 19310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basset View Post

Here you go Roy, 63 we think


As I said Mike this is a Classic photo, Your Dad just has that Ted look, sums up the times,Plus the pose on the MG...Brill,
post #10672 of 19310

@aces and eights

Those 5 years older than us ....they have a lot to answer for, as it was always viewed through rose tinted lenses and impressionable eyes. May I add this 5 year gap was how it was in the 80s as well, seeing friends' older brothers and their mob changing the styles that us younger bloods would aspire too.

post #10673 of 19310

Thanks for the comments re the old man, the MG was the car the old fella courted mother in, he'd finished his apprentiship and was earning good dough so could afford it, my parents got hitched in 64 and the car had to go as they were saving for there first house, they lived in my grandparents front room after the wedding saving money to purchase a property on the new yate estate that was being built outside Bristol.

 

Heres some more pics of the olds, hope you dont mind me indulging, im very proud of my parents and cherish the fact that there still with me, the old man still tells me to f off and put the kettle on when i pop up theres.

Drinking brown splits, taken at The Glen ballroom Bristol

 

Mum&Dad, Severn beach hotel, taken after he'd had a punch up with rockers who'd been using bad language in front of the ladies ( you can see some claret on his teeth )

 

Dad and myself, taken when a lot of you lot were causing mayhem 69/70, i cant really remember him having a quiff but if i smell brylcream it stirs something in me, as you can see the old fella stayed with that style, he oft recalls that back then once you got wed, that was it

post #10674 of 19310

Basset.Great pics.My folks were wed in 64 as well (Feb.9 a very important date in the US.The preimer of The Beatles on Ed Sullivan.They watched it on thier honeymoon) Like your dad mine was also very fashionable and those years (late 60's) I think embeded in my subconscious and influenced my choices ever since.The pic on the car.The combination he's wearing (Jumper,Cardi,Jeans w/turn ups and boots) Not far off from skinheads.No?

post #10675 of 19310

http://www.edwardianteddyboy.com/page2.htm  amazing blog on Teds that made me revaluate my opinion on people who i hated in the mid 70s due to there attacks on Soul boys . The pics are stunning .

post #10676 of 19310
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankmod View Post

...That is one of the cool things about Skins (and Mods before)They controlled the change,they made the new.They had the confidence to make changes on thier own.That is one of the appealing aspects of this subculture.

That was what I enjoyed being part of at the time. Spot on.
post #10677 of 19310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basset View Post

Thanks for the comments re the old man, the MG was the car the old fella courted mother in, he'd finished his apprentiship and was earning good dough so could afford it, my parents got hitched in 64 and the car had to go as they were saving for there first house, they lived in my grandparents front room after the wedding saving money to purchase a property on the new yate estate that was being built outside Bristol.

Heres some more pics of the olds, hope you dont mind me indulging, im very proud of my parents and cherish the fact that there still with me, the old man still tells me to f off and put the kettle on when i pop up theres.
Drinking brown splits, taken at The Glen ballroom Bristol



Mum&Dad, Severn beach hotel, taken after he'd had a punch up with rockers who'd been using bad language in front of the ladies ( you can see some claret on his teeth )



Dad and myself, taken when a lot of you lot were causing mayhem 69/70, i cant really remember him having a quiff but if i smell brylcream it stirs something in me, as you can see the old fella stayed with that style, he oft recalls that back then once you got wed, that was it


Y'know... all you have to do is change the clothes in those photos, and that's us!
post #10678 of 19310

 

Mum&Dad, Severn beach hotel, taken after he'd had a punch up with rockers who'd been using bad language in front of the ladies ( you can see some claret on his teeth )

I am loving your family photos Basset. I hadn't really made the close connection with Teds before. My dad was too old to be a Ted but this photo reminded me that my dad would always intervene if someone swore in front of the women in a pub or club. I used to cringe as a young boy because my dad was a hothead and once or twice it led to a fight.

What were Brown splits? I remember Light & Bitter, Light & Mild or a pint of Mild if you were hard up. Brown Ale, I think, was drunk on its own.

post #10679 of 19310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery View Post


Y'know... all you have to do is change the clothes in those photos, and that's us!

 

My thoughts exactly

post #10680 of 19310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob the Badger View Post

 

What were Brown splits? I remember Light & Bitter, Light & Mild or a pint of Mild if you were hard up. Brown Ale, I think, was drunk on its own.

 

All the beer combinations you mention above except for the Brown Splits were normal in London and Home Counties at the time of late 60s / early 70s

 

Basset

 

Are the Brown Splits 1/2 bottle Brown Ale and 1/2 draft bitter in obviously a pint glass ?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Mod to Suedehead