Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- How does this grey suit brown shoe combo look? Last post on 4/22/12 at 10:47pm in Classic Menswear
- (Official?) Fit Critique Thread Last post on 3/3/15 at 7:09am in Classic Menswear
- Bold suits - choosing the rest of the look Last post on 4/13/11 at 3:34pm in Classic Menswear
- Pls critique my 1st bespoke suit Last post on 8/12/11 at 9:08am in Classic Menswear
- Suit critique, please. (Bespoke Beijing) Last post on 4/25/11 at 3:44am in Classic Menswear
Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I Hate It
Last edited: 5/7/15
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blue Owl
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Australian Members - Page 2497post #37441 of 621169/8/13 at 4:09am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #37442 of 621169/8/13 at 4:25ampost #37443 of 621169/8/13 at 4:26amI can't be bothered looking after shoes that much except for my biannual lick of conditioner.
You guys might be interested to know that on campaign I copped a heap of abuse from a Young Nationals volunteer. He had a white cattleman on and looked like the milkybar kid.
For those of us in Canberra - don't worry. He told me you're all getting jobs in the bush.post #37444 of 621169/8/13 at 4:27ampost #37445 of 621169/8/13 at 5:43amQuote:Originally Posted by Romp
hi terty - sorry I only get a few opportunities to check the forums these days - shoot me a PM or email me at email@example.com
hi to all - PSA Im going to wind down Owen & James given my focus on Suit Shop. Ill be running a deep sale to clear anything that's left.
Im going to hold onto the brand and perhaps do just popovers and denim in the future.
Sad news Romp, but certainly understandable given how busy you must be. Good luck.post #37446 of 621169/8/13 at 5:47amQuote:Originally Posted by Pink Socks
Good price for C&J's - http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com.au/viewitem?sbk=1&nav=HP_FEED&itemId=121172584921
...Someone buy them so I am not tempted.
Well that did not take long. Like I say, good price.post #37447 of 621169/8/13 at 6:02ampost #37448 of 621169/8/13 at 6:16amQuote:
Tempted to do that but decided a) to let someone who wants them get them and enjoy them and b) I have enough stuff I need to sell already.
Spring cleaning is coming.
Edited by Pink Socks - 9/8/13 at 6:45ampost #37449 of 621169/8/13 at 6:59ampost #37450 of 621169/8/13 at 7:17ampost #37451 of 621169/8/13 at 3:22pmQuote:
I have a black pair of Gucci loafers with brass horsebits, which I bought about 10 years ago. They are in bad need of resoling, but look great with raw denim and a white shirt for casual Friday or the evening.
Brown loafers are more flexible, for sure, as black looks pretty dumb with most colours of chinos. But if the price is right, get them and you might be surprised at how useful they are.post #37452 of 621169/8/13 at 5:27pmQuote:
You tried the Hola.org plugin for Chrome browser?
I use it to stream NetFlix from US no probs.. its a Geo Blocker that is embedded in your browser.post #37453 of 621169/8/13 at 5:36pmQuote:post #37454 of 621169/8/13 at 5:37pmQuote:
I got comgateway to place the order for me and then ship it to Sydney. Their BuyForMe service cost $6 (5% of the purchase price). Cheaper than neurofen.post #37455 of 621169/8/13 at 6:14pmNice story on the Basso tailors in North Carlton...
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)Last Tuesday, Jack and Gina Basso had a barbecue, just the two of them, in the yard of their North Carlton tailor shop. They ate pork ribs, potatoes and onions.
Jack, 92, had offered to take Gina to a restaurant to celebrate their 60 years in business, and 60 years of marriage, but Gina preferred something simple. ''We drank a little wine, it was nice,'' she says.
A printed note on the shop window in Rathdowne Street is the only other marker of the anniversaries. ''Thank you to all our customers and friends,'' it says.
Now it's business as usual. Tailoring has been their life since they were teenagers in the village of Camazzole, in Padua province in Italy's north.
Mrs Basso's mother was a friend of Mr Basso's grandmother, and in 1947, the two older women pressured Mr Basso to employ Gina, then 15, as a trainee seamstress, even though he didn't need extra staff.
Gina and Jack fell in love. After the war there was no work, and barely enough to eat, and so in 1951, Mr Basso migrated to Australia. It was two years before he saw Gina again.
The day in July 1953 that Mr Basso bought a decrepit former barber shop in Rathdowne Street was the day he married his sweetheart. But Jack wasn't at the wedding.
Gina took her vows before the priest in the Camazzole church with Jack's brother, Giovanni, as stand-in. Jack had sent consent papers from Melbourne, but didn't know the ceremony was that day.
When his bride arrived in September 1953, Mr Basso was living behind the shop, which he had rented out while working in a plastics factory. He was gravely ill with a stomach ulcer.
Mrs Basso opened the shop and started mending clothes for the local Jewish, Italian and Australian families. Mr Basso recovered, they worked seven days a week and built a life.
In 1950s Rathdowne Street, horses and carts delivered ice and milk. There was no airconditioning or heating. They would keep their front door unlocked - but the back door locked, on account of the shady SP bookie customers in the back laneway.
The worst year was 1965. The economy was bad and custom dried up. Mr Basso found work washing cars, but had two heart attacks, so Gina, who had no English, ran the shop alone.
The area was sleepy until 1985, when La Porchetta restaurant opened a few doors down. Mr Basso remembers queues down the street for pizza. Young professionals moved to Carlton, with no time to mend their own clothes.
While Mr Basso is now taking it easier, Mrs Basso, 81, won't be retiring or selling up.
Two years ago, she had breast cancer, and found that coming to work, whether picking stitches apart by hand or powering the whiz-bang new Janome machine, stopped her going mad. ''When you are working, you communicate with people. You don't worry such as, 'maybe it's coming back'. I can say to work, for me, is life, it keeps me going.''
Her studio is hung with clothes to mend and photos of her son, Robert, a teacher, and grandchildren Emily, 25, a fashion designer, and Jack, 19, a student.
And the secret to their 60-year marriage? ''It's because of me. I'm a good husband,'' Mr Basso, says, grinning.
Mrs Basso says it's patience, and advises that one person in the couple can choose to keep the peace. ''You need two people to argue,'' she says.
- Australian Members
- Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 15 seconds ago
- › Friday Challenge May 22nd 2015: Add some orange to your outfit 21 seconds ago
- › The Official Tweed Appreciation Thread 8 minutes ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 21 minutes ago
- › WTB: Black SLP 15.5cm denim 28 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 32 minutes ago
- › All Natural, Non-Toxic, Shoe Polish 39 minutes ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 40 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 53 minutes ago
- › Wolf vs. Goat Official Affiliate Thread - New April 16, 2015 55 minutes ago
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Who Won Styleforum's First Ever Gallery...
- › Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I...
- › The Styleforum Brief: May 2015
- › How to Wear a Blazer and Jeans this Spring...
- › 6 Hats for Spring and Summer
- › Bourbon Season: Three Cocktails For Spring
- › The Styleforum Brief April 2015
- › Styleforum's First Ever Gallery Contest!...
- › Small on Space, Big on Heart: Four of...
- › How to Buy Direct from Japan