Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- How does this grey suit brown shoe combo look? Last post on 4/22/12 at 10:47pm in Classic Menswear
- (Official?) Fit Critique Thread Last post on 2/27/14 at 1:45pm in Classic Menswear
- Bold suits - choosing the rest of the look Last post on 4/13/11 at 3:34pm in Classic Menswear
- Pls critique my 1st bespoke suit Last post on 8/12/11 at 9:08am in Classic Menswear
- Suit critique, please. (Bespoke Beijing) Last post on 4/25/11 at 3:44am in Classic Menswear
Choosing Men's Designer Suits
Last edited: 11/8/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Australian Members - Page 2497post #37441 of 560869/8/13 at 4:09am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #37442 of 560869/8/13 at 4:25ampost #37443 of 560869/8/13 at 4:26amI can't be bothered looking after shoes that much except for my biannual lick of conditioner.
You guys might be interested to know that on campaign I copped a heap of abuse from a Young Nationals volunteer. He had a white cattleman on and looked like the milkybar kid.
For those of us in Canberra - don't worry. He told me you're all getting jobs in the bush.post #37444 of 560869/8/13 at 4:27ampost #37445 of 560869/8/13 at 5:43amQuote:Originally Posted by Romp
hi terty - sorry I only get a few opportunities to check the forums these days - shoot me a PM or email me at email@example.com
hi to all - PSA Im going to wind down Owen & James given my focus on Suit Shop. Ill be running a deep sale to clear anything that's left.
Im going to hold onto the brand and perhaps do just popovers and denim in the future.
Sad news Romp, but certainly understandable given how busy you must be. Good luck.post #37446 of 560869/8/13 at 5:47amQuote:Originally Posted by Pink Socks
Good price for C&J's - http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com.au/viewitem?sbk=1&nav=HP_FEED&itemId=121172584921
...Someone buy them so I am not tempted.
Well that did not take long. Like I say, good price.post #37447 of 560869/8/13 at 6:02ampost #37448 of 560869/8/13 at 6:16amQuote:
Tempted to do that but decided a) to let someone who wants them get them and enjoy them and b) I have enough stuff I need to sell already.
Spring cleaning is coming.
Edited by Pink Socks - 9/8/13 at 6:45ampost #37449 of 560869/8/13 at 6:59ampost #37450 of 560869/8/13 at 7:17ampost #37451 of 560869/8/13 at 3:22pmQuote:
I have a black pair of Gucci loafers with brass horsebits, which I bought about 10 years ago. They are in bad need of resoling, but look great with raw denim and a white shirt for casual Friday or the evening.
Brown loafers are more flexible, for sure, as black looks pretty dumb with most colours of chinos. But if the price is right, get them and you might be surprised at how useful they are.post #37452 of 560869/8/13 at 5:27pmQuote:
You tried the Hola.org plugin for Chrome browser?
I use it to stream NetFlix from US no probs.. its a Geo Blocker that is embedded in your browser.post #37453 of 560869/8/13 at 5:36pmQuote:post #37454 of 560869/8/13 at 5:37pmQuote:
I got comgateway to place the order for me and then ship it to Sydney. Their BuyForMe service cost $6 (5% of the purchase price). Cheaper than neurofen.post #37455 of 560869/8/13 at 6:14pmNice story on the Basso tailors in North Carlton...
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)Last Tuesday, Jack and Gina Basso had a barbecue, just the two of them, in the yard of their North Carlton tailor shop. They ate pork ribs, potatoes and onions.
Jack, 92, had offered to take Gina to a restaurant to celebrate their 60 years in business, and 60 years of marriage, but Gina preferred something simple. ''We drank a little wine, it was nice,'' she says.
A printed note on the shop window in Rathdowne Street is the only other marker of the anniversaries. ''Thank you to all our customers and friends,'' it says.
Now it's business as usual. Tailoring has been their life since they were teenagers in the village of Camazzole, in Padua province in Italy's north.
Mrs Basso's mother was a friend of Mr Basso's grandmother, and in 1947, the two older women pressured Mr Basso to employ Gina, then 15, as a trainee seamstress, even though he didn't need extra staff.
Gina and Jack fell in love. After the war there was no work, and barely enough to eat, and so in 1951, Mr Basso migrated to Australia. It was two years before he saw Gina again.
The day in July 1953 that Mr Basso bought a decrepit former barber shop in Rathdowne Street was the day he married his sweetheart. But Jack wasn't at the wedding.
Gina took her vows before the priest in the Camazzole church with Jack's brother, Giovanni, as stand-in. Jack had sent consent papers from Melbourne, but didn't know the ceremony was that day.
When his bride arrived in September 1953, Mr Basso was living behind the shop, which he had rented out while working in a plastics factory. He was gravely ill with a stomach ulcer.
Mrs Basso opened the shop and started mending clothes for the local Jewish, Italian and Australian families. Mr Basso recovered, they worked seven days a week and built a life.
In 1950s Rathdowne Street, horses and carts delivered ice and milk. There was no airconditioning or heating. They would keep their front door unlocked - but the back door locked, on account of the shady SP bookie customers in the back laneway.
The worst year was 1965. The economy was bad and custom dried up. Mr Basso found work washing cars, but had two heart attacks, so Gina, who had no English, ran the shop alone.
The area was sleepy until 1985, when La Porchetta restaurant opened a few doors down. Mr Basso remembers queues down the street for pizza. Young professionals moved to Carlton, with no time to mend their own clothes.
While Mr Basso is now taking it easier, Mrs Basso, 81, won't be retiring or selling up.
Two years ago, she had breast cancer, and found that coming to work, whether picking stitches apart by hand or powering the whiz-bang new Janome machine, stopped her going mad. ''When you are working, you communicate with people. You don't worry such as, 'maybe it's coming back'. I can say to work, for me, is life, it keeps me going.''
Her studio is hung with clothes to mend and photos of her son, Robert, a teacher, and grandchildren Emily, 25, a fashion designer, and Jack, 19, a student.
And the secret to their 60-year marriage? ''It's because of me. I'm a good husband,'' Mr Basso, says, grinning.
Mrs Basso says it's patience, and advises that one person in the couple can choose to keep the peace. ''You need two people to argue,'' she says.
- Australian Members
Styleforum Top Picks
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 1 minute ago
- › Random fashion thoughts 1 minute ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 3 minutes ago
- › LIVE=Connecticut vs East Carolina Live stream 3 minutes ago
- › A forgotten classic: the Roman classic shoe style 3 minutes ago
- › Random health and exercise thoughts 4 minutes ago
- › LIVE=Arkansas State vs Louisiana-Lafayette Live stream 4 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 5 minutes ago
- › LIVE=Arizona State vs Washington Live stream 5 minutes ago
- › French Tailoring Thread (e.g. Camps de Luca, Cifonelli, Smalto and... 5 minutes ago
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Men’s Jewellery Trends 2014/15
- › Watch and Jewellery Trends: Black on Black...
- › Trend Forecasting 2015: Men’s Accessories
- › Patek Philippe 175th Anniversary
- › Office Casual - The Death of the Neck Tie?
- › Best Website For The Movies?
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...