or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Page 1457

post #21841 of 57963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sy View Post

g. FXH posted a few hundred pages back that he found a Sportscraft suit to be quite good quality (I think)?

I don't think so.

I might have said a Sportscraft or Gazman sport coat can be a good buy at times depending on price. Sadly their quality and fit vary a lot at times. Gazman warehouse /sales outlet in Tooronga Road near Toorak Road is worth checking out.
post #21842 of 57963
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxh View Post


I don't think so.
I might have said a Sportscraft or Gazman sport coat can be a good buy at times depending on price. Sadly their quality and fit vary a lot at times. Gazman warehouse /sales outlet in Tooronga Road near Toorak Road is worth checking out.

My mistake. You were buying something with your son, it wasn't an intentional purchase but you got it anyway.

post #21843 of 57963
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightace View Post

Right, so on the weekend I went to Melbourne, and while there I followed up the lead I had found (and mentioned a couple of hundred pages ago) regarding a stockist for George Cleverley shoes. The Australian stockist is listed as a shop called Double Monk, at 53 Smith St Collingwood.

 

 

Well, I had a wander along Smith St yesterday, and at number 53 there is indeed a shop being fitted out. I couldn't see in exactly, as they had paper screens covering the windows, however, the motif on the paper screens did indeed suggest a shoe shop. Now this was a bit frustrating, I was intrigued, so I thought "bugger it, it's only Collingwood," and I pushed my face up against the glass to try and get a glimpse of the inside of the shop. And indeed, my efforts were well rewarded, as stacked high on the shelves that were just visible between sheets of paper were boxes and boxes of Crockett & Jones. There were also many flash-looking green-coloured boxes with a name I couldn't read.

 

I went home and emailed them. And here's the news - they're hoping to open next Tuesday. 

 

I'm back in Sydney now, but I can easily imagine that there might be some Melbournites at 53 Smith St Collingwood at 9:00a.m.  next Tuesday morning. If so, do let us know how it all is.

 

Cheers,

 

Eightace

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehBunny View Post

If this was me it would be like being Alice and looking into wonderland!!!!!!!!!! Hope they don't have snobby staff that's what annoys me about most retail stores :)

P.S.

I can't believe I missed this post....thank you whoever quoted it!

 

Agreed. Awesome post.

 

wink.gif

post #21844 of 57963
Pulls on grenadine ties: how do you all prevent/deal with those?

I seem to be averaging about 1 a day on my HC Grenadines at the moment which is a shame because I love them. At this rate they will be looking pretty tattered in a few months! I have reasonably calloused hands so this probably contributes, but they also seem to just appear for no reason.

I have read that snipping them is akin to cutting a hole in the tie and should be avoided in favour of pulling back into the weave.

I can't see how I can do this without going to great effort and having specialist equipment, however.

Should I just snip them and accept that it's the kind of thing that's going to need to be replaced every year or so?
post #21845 of 57963

I think the fine weave (garza fina) grenadines seem to be a lot more delicate than the garza grossa ties. I've got four Kent Wang grenadines which are of the latter type and they've been fine after nearly a year.

 

Garza grossa:

 

 

Garza fina:

 

More info here and here. A tailor should be able to fix the pulls, I believe.

post #21846 of 57963
Quote:
Originally Posted by DartagnanRed View Post

Check out the lapels on this puppy:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
311138_420886284642217_660353281_n.jpg

Looks like something the Kray twins would wear...
post #21847 of 57963
to the brisbane people that asked, details:

This is just a reminder for you, your friends and work colleagues that my Solo Exhibition “Merry Sparks Pops Australia” commences tomorrow night, 22 November, from 6:30pm to 9:30pm at C Gallery, 13A/23 James Street, Fortitude Valley, Queensland, Australia. (The exhibition continues until 29 December 2012.)

Free parking is available in a building directly opposite the gallery.


I am not the artist but I do support her.

EDIT: Also, if there's a meet up i won't be in Brisbane next week. I will be there Friday 30 Nov - 5 Dec.
Edited by elvish - 11/21/12 at 12:09am
post #21848 of 57963
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvish View Post

to the brisbane people that asked, details:

This is just a reminder for you, your friends and work colleagues that my Solo Exhibition “Merry Sparks Pops Australia” commences tomorrow night, 22 November, from 6:30pm to 9:30pm at C Gallery, 13A/23 James Street, Fortitude Valley, Queensland, Australia. (The exhibition continues until 29 December 2012.)

Free parking is available in a building directly opposite the gallery.


I am not the artist but I do support her.

EDIT: Also, if there's a meet up i won't be in Brisbane next week. I will be there Friday 30 Nov - 5 Dec.


Weren't we meant to be meeting on friday for coffee to hammer out the details?
post #21849 of 57963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plestor View Post

Weren't we meant to be meeting on friday for coffee to hammer out the details?

I was exchanging PMs with Windowpane1967 and he suggested that we meet for lunch and coffee at 12pm on Friday 30 November.

That would suit elvish, too, by the look of it.

At that time, we could also discuss a potential dinner time and location.
post #21850 of 57963

Where do people in Sydney or Australia go for a decent casual/dress leather Belts, I have searched but have not come up with anything in the Quality like say this on Herrings http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/product-info.php?&shoeid=5278&colourid=2773&brandid=6

post #21851 of 57963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmour View Post

Where do people in Sydney or Australia go for a decent casual/dress leather Belts, I have searched but have not come up with anything in the Quality like say this on Herrings http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/product-info.php?&shoeid=5278&colourid=2773&brandid=6

I was asking about 100 pages back.

 

RM Williams, Tanner Goods, Saddleback leathergoods (100 year warranty), Hunt Leather, Herringshoes. Et al.

post #21852 of 57963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post


I was exchanging PMs with Windowpane1967 and he suggested that we meet for lunch and coffee at 12pm on Friday 30 November.
That would suit elvish, too, by the look of it.
At that time, we could also discuss a potential dinner time and location.

Correct, invitation is being crafted now.

post #21853 of 57963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmour View Post

Where do people in Sydney or Australia go for a decent casual/dress leather Belts, I have searched but have not come up with anything in the Quality like say this on Herrings http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/product-info.php?&shoeid=5278&colourid=2773&brandid=6

 

These look pretty good if you don't mind mail ordering: http://www.epauletshop.com/servlet/the-Accessories-cln-Belts/Categories

 

Also these for casual belts: http://www.narragansettleathers.com/

 

Have a look at this post: http://putthison.com/search/belts

post #21854 of 57963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Nelson View Post

I think the fine weave (garza fina) grenadines seem to be a lot more delicate than the garza grossa ties. I've got four Kent Wang grenadines which are of the latter type and they've been fine after nearly a year.

 

Garza grossa:

 

 

Garza fina:

 

More info here and here. A tailor should be able to fix the pulls, I believe.

 

do tailors also have expertise in reconstructing ties? i have a few wide ties i'd like to narrow down. they're beautiful patterns but haven't seen the light of day in a verrry long time.

post #21855 of 57963

Leather belts = Tailfeather or Temono.

 

EDIT: there seems like there's a decent need for a very capable mens tailor in the major cities.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members