Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- How does this grey suit brown shoe combo look? Last post on 4/22/12 at 10:47pm in Classic Menswear
- (Official?) Fit Critique Thread Last post on 4/17/16 at 9:19am in Classic Menswear
- Bold suits - choosing the rest of the look Last post on 4/13/11 at 3:34pm in Classic Menswear
- Pls critique my 1st bespoke suit Last post on 8/12/11 at 9:08am in Classic Menswear
- Suit critique, please. (Bespoke Beijing) Last post on 4/25/11 at 3:44am in Classic Menswear
Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for Under $800
Last edited: 4/26/16
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any WeddingLast edited: 4/25/16
- What shade of grey should my wedding suit be?Last edited: 3/24/16
- Where can I buy an affordable suit for my wedding?Last edited: 3/24/16
- What shirt should I wear with a single button peak lapel dinner...Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Australian Members - Page 756post #11326 of 679463/26/12 at 12:25ampost #11327 of 679463/26/12 at 1:47ampost #11328 of 679463/26/12 at 1:56am
Sorry to go off topic, but to all the Melbournites here, if I were to take a day trip over for a break from Adelaide, where should I go looking? Mostly interested in shoes at the moment, but keen to check out other places too. Would probably end up jumping over for a couple of days, during the week, if that's of any consequence.post #11329 of 679463/26/12 at 2:22amQuote:
It's an interesting one, but like the others I wouldn't either apart from the whole weddings, funerals etc. Bit tricky for me because I'm slowly making a business out of this whole dressing well thing so if I was to leave my 9-5 I would definitely be looking at getting a new job that also required suit and tie, mainly because it's such a good opportunity to self promote by simply wearing your own clothes. It'd have to be a big jump in pay to go bus casual, but in saying that im no happier in a suit than I am in denim on the weekend so dressing up isn't something that rules my life.post #11330 of 679463/26/12 at 2:31ampost #11331 of 679463/26/12 at 2:59amQuote:
I don't and I do as well - it gives me a heck of a lot of leeway so I could go from shirt and trousers (chinos/cords/flannels) to a full suit and anything in between. I do wear jeans on Fridays when the mood takes me. It's nice when there's no dress code imposed. Managers wear suits but our director dresses in a shirt and chinos - it's really up to us. I love it!
There's a difference between not being required to wear something and being required not to wear something ...post #11332 of 679463/26/12 at 3:20am
Interesting to read all your corporate environments and their respective dress codes. Im in the engineering field and am with a North American firm. On my first first day with them, a Principal of the firm told me, "We dont wear ties here". Was a good start!! Needless to say, 7 years later I still wear a shirt, tie and jacket everyday (never go out without a jacket) with polished shoes. In our Hub we have 400+ staff, about 5 wear shirt and tie. Im like a few of you here in that I like to take pride in my work and that includes appearance. We seem to have dress down Friday or whatever they call it (I heard it once called mufti day??) everyday. V neck tshirts and short sleeved business shirts...geesh they irritate me, mixed with the snakeskin gondolas and trousers from the era of Saturday Night Fever, without a belt. Interestingly we also have a corporate uniform; one can purchase everything from a polyester tie, short sleeved business shirt to a vinyl belt if thats your thing and claim it all back on tax....apparently!! Its amazing to me just how hideous a corporate uniform can be made to look. If they were free I wouldn't wear them.post #11333 of 679463/26/12 at 3:27ampost #11334 of 679463/26/12 at 4:04ampost #11335 of 679463/26/12 at 4:16amQuote:Originally Posted by joiji
Sorry to go off topic, but to all the Melbournites here, if I were to take a day trip over for a break from Adelaide, where should I go looking? Mostly interested in shoes at the moment, but keen to check out other places too. Would probably end up jumping over for a couple of days, during the week, if that's of any consequence.
Depends a lot on what have in mind. Melbourne is actually pretty good for shoes, with some places not all that bad for prices compared to online. (if you take into account postage fitting and possibility of returns.)
You'll need to saya bit about what you are looking at and want to try on etc. Dont feel you have to name the SF approved or high priced items.
I must reiterate what I said the other day, Mountfords righ now has a pretty good range of suede shoes and DBs and chukkas at reasonable prices if not SF approved brands. Given you can actually try them on I reckon it's worth checking out.
People here are pretty helpful compared to other SF threads, what's more a few of us know what we are talking about, agin unlike much of SF. Just ask.post #11336 of 679463/26/12 at 4:19ampost #11337 of 679463/26/12 at 4:25amQuote:
Yep, quite a few of us, although some don't post all that much.
We try to get together for lunch or coffee every few weeks. In fact, we're having some sausage for lunch (no double-entrende there) on Thursday.post #11338 of 679463/26/12 at 4:49amLunch time opshop shuffle today. A Huntsman dark charcoal chalk striped very heavy cloth pants cut high with fishtail for braces only very good nick. $30. Too big. Also v noice RL Travel jacket navy/French blue, quarter lined, SB, twin vents, good nick, too big for me.
I spied a Rhodes & Beckett suit, nice enough, good nick sort of, except had really really bad bubbling all down both front edges all the way. I wondered if this was a weakness of their suits?
Did manage to pick up a couple of unworn shirts in good material and colours $2 and $6 and 3 ties @ $2each. One silk and 60% cashmere in subtle stripes and one wool tie narrow.
Oh and another pair of old Churches shoe trees $5.
It's a solid rule of opshoping that great stuff is either one or two sizes too big or small for the shoppee.post #11339 of 679463/26/12 at 4:56ampost #11340 of 679463/26/12 at 5:42amQuote:Originally Posted by JourneymanQuote:
Yep, quite a few of us, although some don't post all that much.
We try to get together for lunch or coffee every few weeks. In fact, we're having some sausage for lunch (no double-entrende there) on Thursday.
I'd say more like most of us don't post much..
Eta: + 1 to the afr, its the best of a sorry bunch.
This thread is locked
- Australian Members
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any Wedding
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 32 seconds ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 1 minute ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 2 minutes ago
- › Why Hillary will be the next POTUS 2 minutes ago
- › Styleforum's "Just what Santa should have brought" Viberg GMTO... 2 minutes ago
- › OFFICIAL President Trump Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)? 5 minutes ago
- › Eidos Navy Ragosta Field Jacket Size 50 6 minutes ago
- › WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style 6 minutes ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 6 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Fashion Forward brands that will be big in
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway