Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- How does this grey suit brown shoe combo look? Last post on 4/22/12 at 10:47pm in Classic Menswear
- (Official?) Fit Critique Thread Last post on 3/3/15 at 7:09am in Classic Menswear
- Bold suits - choosing the rest of the look Last post on 4/13/11 at 3:34pm in Classic Menswear
- Pls critique my 1st bespoke suit Last post on 8/12/11 at 9:08am in Classic Menswear
- Suit critique, please. (Bespoke Beijing) Last post on 4/25/11 at 3:44am in Classic Menswear
Choosing Men's Designer Suits
Last edited: 11/8/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Brooklyn Clothing Co
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Australian Members - Page 756
Styleforum Top Pickspost #11327 of 612393/26/12 at 1:47ampost #11328 of 612393/26/12 at 1:56am
Sorry to go off topic, but to all the Melbournites here, if I were to take a day trip over for a break from Adelaide, where should I go looking? Mostly interested in shoes at the moment, but keen to check out other places too. Would probably end up jumping over for a couple of days, during the week, if that's of any consequence.post #11329 of 612393/26/12 at 2:22amQuote:
It's an interesting one, but like the others I wouldn't either apart from the whole weddings, funerals etc. Bit tricky for me because I'm slowly making a business out of this whole dressing well thing so if I was to leave my 9-5 I would definitely be looking at getting a new job that also required suit and tie, mainly because it's such a good opportunity to self promote by simply wearing your own clothes. It'd have to be a big jump in pay to go bus casual, but in saying that im no happier in a suit than I am in denim on the weekend so dressing up isn't something that rules my life.post #11330 of 612393/26/12 at 2:31ampost #11331 of 612393/26/12 at 2:59amQuote:
I don't and I do as well - it gives me a heck of a lot of leeway so I could go from shirt and trousers (chinos/cords/flannels) to a full suit and anything in between. I do wear jeans on Fridays when the mood takes me. It's nice when there's no dress code imposed. Managers wear suits but our director dresses in a shirt and chinos - it's really up to us. I love it!
There's a difference between not being required to wear something and being required not to wear something ...post #11332 of 612393/26/12 at 3:20am
Interesting to read all your corporate environments and their respective dress codes. Im in the engineering field and am with a North American firm. On my first first day with them, a Principal of the firm told me, "We dont wear ties here". Was a good start!! Needless to say, 7 years later I still wear a shirt, tie and jacket everyday (never go out without a jacket) with polished shoes. In our Hub we have 400+ staff, about 5 wear shirt and tie. Im like a few of you here in that I like to take pride in my work and that includes appearance. We seem to have dress down Friday or whatever they call it (I heard it once called mufti day??) everyday. V neck tshirts and short sleeved business shirts...geesh they irritate me, mixed with the snakeskin gondolas and trousers from the era of Saturday Night Fever, without a belt. Interestingly we also have a corporate uniform; one can purchase everything from a polyester tie, short sleeved business shirt to a vinyl belt if thats your thing and claim it all back on tax....apparently!! Its amazing to me just how hideous a corporate uniform can be made to look. If they were free I wouldn't wear them.post #11333 of 612393/26/12 at 3:27ampost #11334 of 612393/26/12 at 4:04ampost #11335 of 612393/26/12 at 4:16amQuote:Originally Posted by joiji
Sorry to go off topic, but to all the Melbournites here, if I were to take a day trip over for a break from Adelaide, where should I go looking? Mostly interested in shoes at the moment, but keen to check out other places too. Would probably end up jumping over for a couple of days, during the week, if that's of any consequence.
Depends a lot on what have in mind. Melbourne is actually pretty good for shoes, with some places not all that bad for prices compared to online. (if you take into account postage fitting and possibility of returns.)
You'll need to saya bit about what you are looking at and want to try on etc. Dont feel you have to name the SF approved or high priced items.
I must reiterate what I said the other day, Mountfords righ now has a pretty good range of suede shoes and DBs and chukkas at reasonable prices if not SF approved brands. Given you can actually try them on I reckon it's worth checking out.
People here are pretty helpful compared to other SF threads, what's more a few of us know what we are talking about, agin unlike much of SF. Just ask.post #11336 of 612393/26/12 at 4:19ampost #11337 of 612393/26/12 at 4:25amQuote:
Yep, quite a few of us, although some don't post all that much.
We try to get together for lunch or coffee every few weeks. In fact, we're having some sausage for lunch (no double-entrende there) on Thursday.post #11338 of 612393/26/12 at 4:49amLunch time opshop shuffle today. A Huntsman dark charcoal chalk striped very heavy cloth pants cut high with fishtail for braces only very good nick. $30. Too big. Also v noice RL Travel jacket navy/French blue, quarter lined, SB, twin vents, good nick, too big for me.
I spied a Rhodes & Beckett suit, nice enough, good nick sort of, except had really really bad bubbling all down both front edges all the way. I wondered if this was a weakness of their suits?
Did manage to pick up a couple of unworn shirts in good material and colours $2 and $6 and 3 ties @ $2each. One silk and 60% cashmere in subtle stripes and one wool tie narrow.
Oh and another pair of old Churches shoe trees $5.
It's a solid rule of opshoping that great stuff is either one or two sizes too big or small for the shoppee.post #11339 of 612393/26/12 at 4:56ampost #11340 of 612393/26/12 at 5:42amQuote:Originally Posted by JourneymanQuote:
Yep, quite a few of us, although some don't post all that much.
We try to get together for lunch or coffee every few weeks. In fact, we're having some sausage for lunch (no double-entrende there) on Thursday.
I'd say more like most of us don't post much..
Eta: + 1 to the afr, its the best of a sorry bunch.
- Australian Members
Styleforum Top Picks
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 15 seconds ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 51 seconds ago
- › WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style 1 minute ago
- › John Smedley, Kendal in Racing Green. Size S, brand new. 1 minute ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 1 minute ago
- › Things you just don't get 2 minutes ago
- › Crockett & Jones MTO Central 2 minutes ago
- › Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata 3 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 3 minutes ago
- › NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR... 4 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › The Styleforum Brief April 2015
- › Styleforum's First Ever Gallery Contest!...
- › Small on Space, Big on Heart: Four of...
- › How to Buy Direct from Japan
- › Lanieri Presents: Deep Into the Blue
- › Clothing for Hard Work
- › Sakura Season
- › A Brief History of Indigo
- › The (Red) Thread Connecting Italy and Japan
- › Two Japanese Words Every Clothing Dork Should...