• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In Praise of the Diner

emptym

Reaction score
Had dinner at one tonight. If I weren't so cheap, I'd eat at one every night. You see all kinds of people there, all ages, races, social classes, sexes, levels of happiness. Love the ambiance. Reminds me of the buffets we went to in LV as a kid. Vinyl boots and stools. Plain stainless steel utensils. Great food.

Tonight I had the country-fried (or chicken-fried) steak, smothered w/ gravy. Two eggs over easy. Three buttermilk pancakes. Real butter. Real maple syrup. And a glass of milk. Whole milk. Decadent, all of it. $10. CNN was on w/ Larry King. I talked w/ the elderly couple in the next booth about their health, Cole Porter, theology, and Obama. The nicest waitress. Hard-working busboy.

This one was on the corner of Geary and Masonic. Either binge, iammatt, or my cousin recommmended it.
Anyone else like diners? Have another to recommend?

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's one just 2 blocks from my apt. It's open 24/7. The food is acceptable, but nothing to tell anybody about. I wish they would reduce their thousand-items menu to something more manageable--then they could surely make better food. But, in a pinch, at 3am, you can't beat it with a stick.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow. I'm happy you enjoyed yourself at a diner. I havent had anything decent at an NJ diner in years. Even at my uncles. You got me in the mood to go to one on my coming day off for sunday breakfast.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sometimes, I watch that quintessentially Yuppie program on PBS called "Check Please!" where different Bay Area yuppies come together to review restaurants they had each suggested and been to.

I recall there was an episode where they reviewed a diner, favorably.

emptym

Reaction score
^I say we meet there for SF in SF part III, if there is one.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
My last visit there I only ate in a diner once- at Bashful Bull. Kinda average, foodwise but the diner atmosphere itself is what makes me go there. I should find better places for my return there. What do you recommend?

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
What do you recommend?

A cup of loneliness ...

hopper_nighthawks.jpg

lefty

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
there's one about 2 blocks from my office, I love it. another one within walking distance of my house, and we go there maybe once a month. its strange, though, I don't know if anybody varies their orders that much in a diner - I always order one of maybe 5 things, so do most people I know (everybody maybe a different 5 things).

emptym

Reaction score
^ Five things is pretty good. I probably order a country fried steak 80% of the time. I think I had 5 or six of them on my trip across country. This is the one I just went to and recommend, Acidicboy. Surprised by the low ratings. It's prob. the decor. Not everyone was raised on LV buffets.

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I generally like diners but it is really hit or miss on the food quality and cleanliness. Some of them are disgusting.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When I lived in Brooklyn, there was a diner on my way to the train. They made their own doughnuts, which were great. My wife and I went almost every weekend. Friendly waitresses, cheap food -- $3 for coffee, oj, 2 eggs, toast, potatoes. Makes me hungry.

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
When I lived in Brooklyn, there was a diner on my way to the train. They made their own doughnuts, which were great. My wife and I went almost every weekend. Friendly waitresses, cheap food -- $3 for coffee, oj, 2 eggs, toast, potatoes. Makes me hungry.
Can you get West Coast style apple fritters and old-fashioneds there? My brother is looking for a place in NYC that has them.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the few remaining all-night diners at which you can get a good burger or turkey dinner or a well-mixed drink like a tom collins is one of the true simple pleasures.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads