Recent Images In This Thread
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryShirtstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShoestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
Related Forum Threads
- Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos Last post on Yesterday at 5:25 pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 8/29/15 at 4:46pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 20, 2015 Last post on 7/28/15 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Allen Edmond Park Avenue sizingLast edited: 1/27/16
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What does it mean to Relast a shoe?Last edited: 2/8/16
- How do I polish my shoes but preserve the color of the contrast...Last edited: 2/8/16
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 1691
Styleforum Top Pickspost #25352 of 3219112/20/13 at 12:14pmQuote:Originally Posted by SuitsHarvey
Thanks a lot for your advice. So I'll focus on a navy or grey/charcoal suit. Which one would you prefer? Both colors are fine for business of course, but some people say navy is better for the first suit and others say you should go for charcoal. What are the pros and cons of the colors? I have really dark hair and a pretty pale skin color if it's relevant.
I am by no means an expert. I do not wear suits daily, as I'm an athletic trainer, so I guess this is a hobby for me. So, take that into account when considering my opinion. Having said that, my general thought is that navy is a bit of a nicer day to day suit, but charcoal is slightly more versatile. I tend to say navy for a first suit, charcoal for an only suit. Since you're (I assume) planning to buy more than one, in relatively short order, I would start with navy. In a Styleforum article on this topic, the author makes the very good point that a patterned suit is easily recognizable, and people will likely notice if you wear it very often, which means they will notice you do not have many suits. Solids are much less prone to this problem.post #25353 of 3219112/20/13 at 12:39pmQuote:
Hard to tell seeing it like that, but I think it's alittle overkill on the green/red unless you're going to a holiday party.post #25354 of 3219112/20/13 at 3:22pmpost #25355 of 3219112/20/13 at 3:47pm
Yesterday I took my navy 3 piece suit in to have it tailored, hoping I didn't make a mistake. Correct me if I'm wrong and I hope I'm not. For the vest it's ok to have it show a little of the waist band when the bottom button is undone. The vest was a tad long so I had them bring it up just a little bit. Right below the bottom button will hit right where this vest hit maybe a tad lower or higher.
Also went with a 1/4 break with the back of the pants slightly longer than the front. For the jacket I had the sleeve cut to show 1/2" of the shirt cuff, and went with the buttons on the sleeve kissing.
Edited by WickedKlown - 12/20/13 at 4:03pmpost #25356 of 3219112/20/13 at 5:21pmpost #25357 of 3219112/20/13 at 7:13pmpost #25358 of 3219112/20/13 at 7:22pmpost #25359 of 3219112/20/13 at 7:41pmQuote:
Ernest Alexander too.post #25360 of 3219112/20/13 at 8:11pmQuote:Originally Posted by Fred G. Unn
Ernest Alexander too.
The Medium Carryall is too small to be used a s a carry on, it's barely large enough to fill the requirements of a messenger type bag imo
The larger ones size is frustratingly described but in any case that is inconsequential because the set is not there
As for Ernest Alexander when I checked their website their sizes go up to carry-on size only but the canvas overnight bag is rather nice
Thank you for the suggestionspost #25361 of 3219112/20/13 at 8:22pmpost #25362 of 3219112/20/13 at 8:28pm
Anyone have any advice on parkas for Boston's snow? Looking to avoid the ubiquitous Canada Goose. TOJ would have been perfect (If anyone has a fishtail in a small, sell it to me. Any color is fine). Woolrich and spiewak aren't doing it for me. Just gonna be used for walking for no longer than 30 mins.
Edited by Supasing - 12/20/13 at 8:54pmpost #25363 of 3219112/20/13 at 8:37pmpost #25364 of 3219112/20/13 at 8:53pmQuote:
Boston's snow. Pretty much just walking for no longer than 30 mins or so. Looking for something a bit more form fitting than the L.L Bean. Budget's around $400.post #25365 of 3219112/20/13 at 9:33pmWow the aviator series comes really close to ideal, I really like that this company has a design philosophy and sticks to it. Does this not have shoulder strap latches though? That's a deal-breaker for me because carrying a duffle bag like a tote sucks the cock. My ideal would also be more luxe than this, I feel like the designs would be more aesthetically pleasing if they were less squarish for a start
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
Styleforum Top Picks
- Allen Edmond Park Avenue sizing
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 1 minute ago
- › Shortening a trench coat 11 minutes ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 13 minutes ago
- › Romantic Europe meets NYC: the ROBERT GELLER thread 14 minutes ago
- › The Look goes on... 15 minutes ago
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread... 18 minutes ago
- › The Official Common Projects Thread 22 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 26 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 28 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing,... 35 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Exclusive Indochino Sale! 2 Suits for 800$...
- › Can I get the toe of my leather shoes...
- › How to clean antique brass hooks and eyelets...
- › How to start cleaning and shining fine...
- › What tools do you need to get burnish your...
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?