Recent Images In This Thread
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryShirtstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShoestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
Related Forum Threads
- Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos Last post on 7/31/15 at 4:34am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 20, 2015 Last post on 7/28/15 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- Classic Menswear Lounge Last post on Yesterday at 10:28 pm in Classic Menswear
What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Last edited: 9/2/13
- The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015Last edited: 7/12/15
- Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five WeddingsLast edited: 7/12/15
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...Last edited: 6/22/15
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 1020post #15286 of 310726/8/12 at 10:22am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #15287 of 310726/8/12 at 10:38amQuote:Originally Posted by CalTex
I had my tailor dart all of my OCBD shirts but he left the back middle pleat (I believe that is the proper term) as is. I want the back middle pleat undone, should that be hard for him? It is really bothering me and it takes about 15 shirts out of my rotation. These are shirts I wear to class, so they are typically untucked; how long should the shirts be?
I am also looking for a trousers to wear in the summer, any recommendations? 300 USD limit.
My seamstress also took out the box pleat and darted my OCBD. It should not be a problem for a seamstress unless it's an irregular box pleat.
I think the rule on length is that it should fall near the middle of your bottom/pant/jean zipper.post #15288 of 310726/8/12 at 2:17pmpost #15289 of 310726/8/12 at 7:35pmQuote:
really took out the box pleat? wouldn't she have to take apart the shirt across the entire yoke to do that? seems like a lot of work instead of just getting unpleated shirts to begin with.post #15290 of 310726/8/12 at 7:58pmQuote:
Agreed, makes no sense.
If one picks up a shirt with a box pleat and looks at the construction it becomes apparent that this is a major undertaking. In addition to taking apart the yoke, the tailor would have to redo the arm seam and the side seam. Anything can be done, but this is going to screw up the whole shirt.post #15291 of 310726/8/12 at 8:19pmQuote:Originally Posted by Steve Smith
Agreed, makes no sense.
If one picks up a shirt with a box pleat and looks at the construction it becomes apparent that this is a major undertaking. In addition to taking apart the yoke, the tailor would have to redo the arm seam and the side seam. Anything can be done, but this is going to screw up the whole shirt.
I think it fits fine and i was only charged $15 for the alteration.post #15292 of 310726/9/12 at 1:49ampost #15293 of 310726/9/12 at 1:55amHey guys - just picked up a smaller Corneliani jacket based off of measurements. Obviously the sleeves are too short and I think they can be let out but what do you think of the overall size of the jacket - any other comments?
EDIT: The jacket is unstructured, almost no padding on the shoulders and is only half lined up top.post #15294 of 310726/9/12 at 5:52amQuote:Originally Posted by david3558
Hey guys - just picked up a smaller Corneliani jacket based off of measurements. Obviously the sleeves are too short and I think they can be let out but what do you think of the overall size of the jacket - any other comments?
EDIT: The jacket is unstructured, almost no padding on the shoulders and is only half lined up top.
I think the jacket itself might be a bit short, not just the sleeves.
ETA: Where does the first (fastened) button sit in relation to your belly button?
Edited by msulinski - 6/9/12 at 7:42ampost #15295 of 310726/9/12 at 12:47pmAnyone know where can I stock up on some decent-quality, solid-colored pocket squares with somewhat thick colored borders in a variety of colors? I've checked Kent Wang's site and the ones I want I already have. No go on Paul Smith, Barney's, ASW, etc. Just picked up a Drake's from Mr. Porter. Besides that, though, not sure where else to look. Are there no go-to spots for nice squares? Do I have to luck out on the "nicer" ones as usual?
Also, does a thinner border equate to a higher level of formality, and thicker the opposite? Or does it not matter? Maybe it's just me, but the PS the guy is wearing below seems perfect for a sportsjacket (which is also what I'm looking for), but I feel would be a bit "much" for a suit. What do you guys say?post #15296 of 310726/9/12 at 12:49pmpost #15297 of 310726/9/12 at 5:42pmpost #15298 of 310726/9/12 at 6:48pmBeen a long time since I posted, hello SF
I used to purchase a lot of clothes and find myself having to budget more these days. Have not bought much since 08/09 in the way of dress shirts. I need to refresh my collection due to work elbow destroyed shirts (now made into short sleeve casuals).
I am still fairly particular about my clothes. I would like to get something along the lines of Borelli/Purple Label/Fray/Isaia/Barba but dont have the time to hunt for bargains in the outlets. Most of my collection is Borrelli and Barba. I have custom shirts from So my questions are:
1. Any good eBay sellers around the 99 mark? I know much can be had at the 129-169 mark but want to try and stay under a 100. I know the old go to sites like virtualclotheshorse, ehaberdasher, Shopethefinest but looks like shirts are in the 150 range.
2. I many just go custom. I have had shirts made from Victor Talbots probably wont be going to them http://www.victortalbots.com/, Ascot Chang, Geneva (one of the better customs I have) and CEGO. I am leaning towards Geneva. Their construction was probably the best along with Ascot. CEGO made a great shirt as well. Geneva will put me in the 200 range a shirt I think, any recent experience someone can share? I don't need top notch fabric so hope I can stay around the 200 mark.
3. Jantzen- Remember good things about Ricky and this site. Never ordered. Well I think I ordered a linen one and never got it, gave up. Anyone have recent experiences that would care to share? Would be great to get a good bulk of my everyday shirts at a 50-60 price point.
Thanks in advance.
ps: Hi to my old SF pals if you are around Ed Morel (spelling) Andrew and may others I forgetpost #15299 of 310726/9/12 at 9:48pm
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
Styleforum Top Picks
- The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
Currently, there are 1539 Active Users (302 Members and 1237 Guests)
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Theard 49 seconds ago
- › CARPE DIEM 2001 cashmere labcoat 4 minutes ago
- › recommend me some places to go to in nyc alone 5 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 6 minutes ago
- › Things that are pissing you off. 7 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 10 minutes ago
- › The Teacher Thread 12 minutes ago
- › Paris restaurants 13 minutes ago
- › Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts? 14 minutes ago
- › Carmina Shoes - Official Affiliate Thread 15 minutes ago
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five...
- › Help! I need a suit for a wedding!
- › What I learned from my own wedding day, and...
- › Look nice, Dammit: Why you should care - and...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...