• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lord and Taylor parent company buys the Bay

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apparantly the Lord and Taylor parrent company has purchased the oldest Canadian company - The Bay. I won't bore anyone here with how passionately some Canadians feel about The Bay, but it seems they might shrink some stores and put Lord and Taylors in the existing space.

I haven't been in a Lord and Taylor in probably 10 years, do they sell any decent up-market stuff these days?

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LVoer
Apparantly the Lord and Taylor parrent company has purchased the oldest Canadian company - The Bay. I won't bore anyone here with how passionately some Canadians feel about The Bay, but it seems they might shrink some stores and put Lord and Taylors in the existing space.

I haven't been in a Lord and Taylor in probably 10 years, do they sell any decent up-market stuff these days?

No. When i was younger they were known for high end stuff, but i was in recently and it was like a macy's.

Matt B

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rssmsvc
No. When i was younger they were known for high end stuff, but i was in recently and it was like a macy's.

Interesting that you say that. I caught the tail end of a local CBC story regarding the purchase, and the analyst indicated that they would position themselves as competitors to Holt's and Harry's. Of course, my understanding is that most of the Bay's worth lies in its property holdings (prime downtown real estate in all the major centres).

M

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LVoer
I won't bore anyone here with how passionately some Canadians feel about The Bay
I feel your pain, Brother. I'll never get over the Macy's takeover of Marshall Field's.
frown.gif

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
As far as I'm concerned the Bay has too dark a history for me to summon up any national pride over it, and the store itself is fairly mediocre. I can't say I'm too upset. I was much more put out over the loss of Woodward's, which was promptly dismantled after being bought by... the Bay. Aha! Comeuppance!

gj555

Reaction score
I think I read they planned to convert the 10-12 top locations into L&T stores or part of the locations into L&T stores. Given that the major downtown Bay locations are already slightly more higher end, not sure what this will already add to the Canadian market from a selfish men's tailored clothing point of view.

Many of the major brands on the L&T website for men's clothing are already sold at the Bay

Jack Victor (Sold at the higher end Bay locations under the Filacci house brand name)
Joseph Abboud (Sold in the higher end Bay locations)
HSM (equivalent to and same owner as Coppley which is sold at the higher end Bay locations)
Ted Baker (sold in the higher end Bay locations)
Lauren

None of the above wioll add anything for us and if they cut current lines, gone will be the Samuelsohn suits that are found at the high end bay locations.

gsugsu

Reaction score
Oh wither Canadian institutions! The Bay had already been in the hands of a non-Canadian owner at the time of the sale to Lord & Taylor and given that it offers less sartorially than Harry or Holt it is no big deal. Still, it is a great place to get weekend deals on cook wear. Now if Tim Horton's ever fell into non-dominion hands that would be a travesty and there would be a hewn cry rising up from the masses, um, wait a second..... never mind.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads