• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much can pants be taken in?

bluscuro

Reaction score
When a trouser pattern is struck , carefull attention to balance is crucial. Basically, the waist and seat measures are divided by four and distributed evenly across the four parts ( Eight cut edges ) that make up the finished pair of trousers. When too much material is taken out of the back ( seat ) seam this balance is lost. You may find all or some of the following disturbances if the alteration is done in this way.
1. Front crease falls to the outside of the knee rather than the centre. Naturally this also effects where the crease falls over the shoe.
2. Twisting of the trouser legs.
3. Side pockets seam to gape.
4. Rear pockets appear much too close.

In short all elegance and drape will be lost if more than 1.5" is taken in at the back seam.

Hope this helps.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The trousers would need to be recut; a relatively pricey and dicey alteration requiring the expertise of an above average tailor.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
How much damage ($) roughly do you think we would be talking about?
I would guesstimate $80+/-, depending on location and tailor's expertise.

jeff in vancouver

Reaction score
$80 seems about right for a recut. I had severl 4" recuts tried recently be a few tailors recently, the results were mixed and I am suit shopping now. Maybe just by one inexpensive suit and then go on a diet? If you have the will power you should be able to drop 20lbs in a month or so.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
The trousers would need to be recut; a relatively pricey and dicey alteration requiring the expertise of an above average tailor.
This is my experience. It can be done with a successful outcome.

Otter91

Reaction score
I am having a pair of Ralph Lauren Purple Label Tuxedo pants taken from a 36 down to a 32/31" right now. My tailor said that is wouldn't be a problem at all, I'll keep you updated as I receive them back from the tailor. as for suits, I am a 40$ drop 8 or drop 9. I always just plan on having the pants taken in. I may be shopping at the wrong places, but I have not found many quality suit makers that produce separates. Then again, I am usually bargain hunting
smile.gif

SirSuturesALot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Otter91
I am having a pair of Ralph Lauren Purple Label Tuxedo pants taken from a 36 down to a 32/31" right now. My tailor said that is wouldn't be a problem at all, I'll keep you updated as I receive them back from the tailor.

as for suits, I am a 40$ drop 8 or drop 9. I always just plan on having the pants taken in. I may be shopping at the wrong places, but I have not found many quality suit makers that produce separates. Then again, I am usually bargain hunting
smile.gif

Wow, that is a fairly hefty drop. Please let us know how it turns out!

Otter91

Reaction score
Wait, do these pants have back pockets on both sides?
confused.gif

yes they do. I think that they will be used in the process somehow. I think that i noted darts (if you can call them that)that will be allowing some of the room. My build provides some trouble for tailors and buying OTR pants as that I am quite athletic. Often, pants that fit me in the waist (Banana Republic 30s) don't fit me in the quadracept/uppper leg area. The good news is that I can have 32s tailored in at the waist to fit perfectly most of the times. This suit was not purchased for that reason however. I got a lucky and great deal on an RLPL tux from HoldFast here on the board. edt: sorry for the ramble

Guy Smiley

Reaction score
Would I be correct in assuming that most people with >6" drops, who don't go for bespoke/MTM, buy their suits as separates? What do they do if the suit they want is not available for purchase as separates?

I'm a 40L, 32" and most RTW looks ridiculous on me, but I tried on a John Varvatos one day, and all his stuff fits me pretty well. God bless him. I thought I was gonna have to go the separates route...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads