or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre, Baume & Mercier and more)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre, Baume & Mercier and more) - Page 95

post #1411 of 3994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

Mine in the park a week ago.



Ha, a far more pleasant backdrop than mine! I do enjoy the yellowing of the silver dial in the right light.
post #1412 of 3994

I thought I would share what is my first "serious" watch. Until recently I had no interests in watches only owning a simple quartz Longines I occasional wore with suits. But after some recent professional good fortune, and wanting to buy something to commemorate my upcoming first born, I decided I would finally look into getting a suitable watch. Oh boy, I didn't realize what I was in for and fell head first into the rabbit hole. I considered among others - the IWC Mark VIII (blue dial), used Rolex Submariner,  Omega Seamaster Aquaterra, Bell & Ross BR123/BR126, Omega Speedy Pro, and the Stowa Marine.  After lurking on multiple forums, many visits to various midtown stores, and trying on many different watches I finally settled on the classic Omega Speedmaster Professional.  The primary reason was because I simply really liked the way it looked - I felt that it is very well proportioned, the right size on my wrist, has what I felt was a vintage feel without looking dated, and was dressy enough for my general business casual dress. Though I found the history of watch certainly really cool - I didn't focus on it until after I had my heart set. Since wearing it I now find the urge to know the time a dozen times per hour and time just about everything.  

 

 

 

 

 

Following pictures are of the unboxing since the packaging is on fire!

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
post #1413 of 3994
@Sandwich it's a great choice. I tried on some Speedmasters in an Omega shop in London a few weeks ago. Seeing them online, I found them unremarkable. However, they are different in the flesh. The classic Professional transcends the other versions, in my opinion. It is superbly finished: I had no appreciation for how fine the lettering on the dial and bezel are. A thing of beauty. Omega has also resisted the trend towards obscenely large watches, with the result that it is indeed very well proportioned, even on my womanly wrist. But what I like most about it is its simplicity and functionality: the plain white hands against the black dial make reading the time as effortless as it should be. I preferred it on the black leather strap, but like you I would buy it on the bracelet. Leather can be added more cheaply afterwards, and with greater choice if you are happy for it not to bear Omega's mark. Congratulations on your acquisition.

I would love one myself, but funds dictate I am a one watch man at present. I am, however, considering a second hand Reduced (comparison pic below) as an alternative to the Pro, after someone mentioned it here a week or so ago. The smaller size would work for me, and I can't believe how cheap they are!

SpeedmasterReduced2_zps0e3780ef.jpg
Image courtesy of Fratello Watches. Reduced on left.
post #1414 of 3994

@atia2 I couldn't agree with you more. I initially found the Speedy Pro to be unremarkable when viewed online, but very different on the wrist. The Reduced is a great value if you can make it work. My wrist is around 8" so I'm better suited with the 42mm version. 

post #1415 of 3994
The Speedy Pro will definitely make its way to my collection at some point. It's a beautiful watch and the only Omega that really draws me.

I don't love it on the steel bracelet but it's a beauty on nato and leather straps. I only wish I could have a Mitsukoshi or that the parts for a Mitsukoshi conversion could still be purchased through Ofrei.
post #1416 of 3994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandwich View Post
 

After lurking on multiple forums, many visits to various midtown stores, and trying on many different watches I finally settled on the classic Omega Speedmaster Professional.

 

 

Great choice! I love mine and it feels so good on the wrist. And the classic Speedy Pro is definitely the way to go! Enjoy it in good health and realize that it is the gateway drug into a whole 'nother world!

post #1417 of 3994

Are prices creeping up for the Rolex 16710? 

 

I noticed that the prices for the 16710 is a bit erratic - some go for $5k and some go for $7k. 

 

In your opinion, how much would a Z serial no holes 3185 movement (06-07 production), full kit be worth? Is $6,500 reasonable? It's in good condition and runs great, but no servicing history. 

post #1418 of 3994

^From what I've seen - yes, that's a good price.  A lot of people target the same years and movement, most are heading north of 7k.

post #1419 of 3994

Sorry, I meant $7.5K

post #1420 of 3994

^Ah yes, that makes more sense.  I think 7.5k is becoming the going rate for that specific watch but if you're patient you might be able to do a little better, but I wouldn't expect to see much better.  

post #1421 of 3994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post
 

I suppose one would have to define how much does it have to appreciate in value that the appreciation even matters.  When I mention skyrocketing in value...I'm not saying it becomes worth $30K or more...but it has to be a truly significant amount, or in the end it just doesn't matter whether it does or does not appreciate, breaks even, or slightly depreciates.

 

If over 30 years it goes up in value by $1,000 ...but you have had 3-4 overhauls on the watch and you had it insured for all those years...then you probably haven't gained anything, maybe if you sold it at that point considering the 3 or 4 overhauls...you lost a little money.  If for example a watch with a $5K purchase price doubles or triples in price ...then probably after service overhauls plus insurance, if you sold it you would still make some money.  Obviously, making some money or breaking even are preferable to losing money (even a modest amount).  

 

I've been actively buying/selling watches for over 25 years.  Most were/are Rolex and over the years several have gone up reasonable amounts (if only because new prices helped bolster used prices) but not enough to truly make a difference in my life, a few dropped in value, a few stayed flat, but only a few went up significantly, but even those are not retirement fund signficantly...just enough that its nice they are worth a good amount more than I paid for them.   My point is, and I bought some at very good prices and its great that many have gone up or not lost money, but most don't appreciate in value enough considering long term ownership costs to make much difference (at least to me).   Hence whether one model of Tudor's Black Bay appreciates more than the other in 30 years or so probably won't make much difference (not to mention how many people will still be the original owners in 30 years).  However, I understand the more $ you put into watches, the the more one would like to think if you wanted to cash out you wouldn't lose money and that you might actually make at least something reasonable on them.

 

 

Always cool to see something different, but wouldn't be my first choice on back of such a fine watch.  

 

 

To be fair albeit to myself I wasn't factoring in service costs when I was commenting on value.  Still I think it's a great point that doesn't seem to get enough press if you will when it comes to owning a watch.  In fact I've read more here on TWAT as regards servicing and the related costs, etc then I have anywhere else.  I think the majority of buyers, especially new buyers, don't consider that they may have to spend hundreds if not a thousand dollars or so to get the watch serviced every so many years if they're going to keep it in good running condition without taking a chance on having other issues.  Anyway, just another point in the "buy what you love" column as opposed to buying as a potential investment.  

 

Yeah, I actually like it and from the other photos I've seen it looks even nicer than in that photo.  Also, JLC will be releasing a couple more Magritte Reversos in the next couple of years which should be nice.  Still unless I had money to burn or unless I was a big Magritte fan I wouldn't buy one.  It's going to be quite limited and while JLC in my opinion doesn't charge a big premium for special editions, a similar Reverso to this one was marked up quite a bit.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Shoes1 View Post

 

I tried on both last week and the 38 mm looked better on my 7 inch wrist.  I was originally thinking no date, but then noticed your point about the date window and how it balances out the dial and (in my opinion) almost makes the watch a slight bit more casual (which I like).  I would be comfortable wearing this in a business casual setting as well.  The last 38 mm did not stick for me, in part, because it was both very small, boring to me and never was worn, except when I was in my most conservative dress.  I found I was constantly grabbing my Stowa Marine Original to wear with suits simply because I liked it better. 

 

I would want to try one on before buying myself.  I too have a 7" wrist and think the 35 would be better based on my taste, but I wouldn't want it to look too small.  

 

Agreed on the date making the watch look a bit more casual.  I too agree that this is a good thing to an extent.  The watch sounds dressier in person than what it seems to me online, but I do like the fact that you can dress it up or dress it down depending on the strap you wear.  Anyway, I wasn't kidding about not liking date windows.  I didn't even find Hodinkee's April Fools joke this year funny.  :)  On your Orion though I think it works really well.  

 

Like I said, that's the Nomos I've been looking at of late and one three at most that I would consider.  Interestingly enough I was reading how it's one of the most/the most popular watch with Nomos employees.  

post #1422 of 3994
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAUGRANA View Post
 

 

 

 

I would want to try one on before buying myself.  I too have a 7" wrist and think the 35 would be better based on my taste, but I wouldn't want it to look too small.  

 

Agreed on the date making the watch look a bit more casual.  I too agree that this is a good thing to an extent.  The watch sounds dressier in person than what it seems to me online, but I do like the fact that you can dress it up or dress it down depending on the strap you wear.  Anyway, I wasn't kidding about not liking date windows.  I didn't even find Hodinkee's April Fools joke this year funny.  :)  On your Orion though I think it works really well.  

 

Like I said, that's the Nomos I've been looking at of late and one three at most that I would consider.  Interestingly enough I was reading how it's one of the most/the most popular watch with Nomos employees.  

 

Take my comments regarding how dressy the watch is with a grain of salt.  Remember, they're coming from someone who has been wearing a Stowa Marine Original as his dress watch and who generally does not like traditional dress watches.

post #1423 of 3994
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAUGRANA View Post

 

To be fair albeit to myself I wasn't factoring in service costs when I was commenting on value.  Still I think it's a great point that doesn't seem to get enough press if you will when it comes to owning a watch.  In fact I've read more here on TWAT as regards servicing and the related costs, etc then I have anywhere else.  I think the majority of buyers, especially new buyers, don't consider that they may have to spend hundreds if not a thousand dollars or so to get the watch serviced every so many years if they're going to keep it in good running condition without taking a chance on having other issues.  Anyway, just another point in the "buy what you love" column as opposed to buying as a potential investment.  

Yes, many people who don't really follow watches but bought a nice piece to wear for everyday, without considering service...tend to get really pissed off when they learn of service costs.  I recall an ex-girlfriend's friend telling me that her mom had a Rolex purchased in the early 70's, but that it keeps terrible time.  When I asked when it was last serviced, she said it hadn't been, but that the cost of servicing it was more than what she had paid for it brand new, and they thought that was ridiculous. When I told her it was is like a car that has never had an oil change, but that it was also worth more at that time then when they had bought it new, it seemed take the wind out of her sails, about expensive watches being wasteful junk that don't keep good time. 

post #1424 of 3994
subscribed!

Great stuff in this thread.
post #1425 of 3994
Anybody have any bidding/buying advice in regards to buying a watch from one of the large auction houses?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre, Baume & Mercier and more)