• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dry Scalp

Crow

Reaction score
I used to have dry scalp and also dandruff probs... i used head and shoulders regularly, worked like a charm.

kakemono

Reaction score
make double sure it is dry scalp... i thought i just had a dandruff problem and it turn out it is a skin disease where I am allergic to the fungus that naturally grows on everyone's face. The easy way to know is whether you get flakes in your eyebrows and in the areas you would grow facial hair.

I have medicated shampoo now that doesnt work all the time. The best solution for me is to only shampoo 1 once every 10 days or so.

Yaz

Reaction score
If your dry scalp is from residue build up, you could try rinsing your hair with apple cider vinegar. I tried it and it worked really well. Got rid of my flakes and dry scalp within a few days.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nizoral has a good reputation for treating that.

velobran

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Yaz
If your dry scalp is from residue build up, you could try rinsing your hair with apple cider vinegar. I tried it and it worked really well. Got rid of my flakes and dry scalp within a few days.

+1

I think this is a well known remedy in the herbal world of medicine. The vinegar smell goes away after after a few hours or at least my morning time (if you do this in the evening).

arrrrffff

Reaction score
Head and Shoulders will eradicate dandruff like a charm, however I find it very strong. It stings.

I use Pantene Pro-V, which will moisten your hair so much it will feel and look like silk. I love to run my fingers through my hair after using it.

rxcats

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
Nizoral has a good reputation for treating that.

+1

Nizoral 2% works best. That concentration is prescription in the USA, but you can order it OTC from Canada at:

http://www.canadapharmacy.com/cart/i...o&productid=21

It contains ketoconazole which is an anti-fungal and anti-androgen. It treats the fungus that leads to flaking/drandruff as well as lowering DHT in the scalp helping prevent hairloss (from androgenetic alopecia). You may also want to consider taking a fish oil (omega-3 ***** acid) supplement. Biotin (b vitamin family) is also helpful for hair and nails when taken orally.

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I heard some doctor on the news recommend anything with zinc. Selsun Blue is what I use. Only use it whenever I have the problem, which is usually a few days out of every month. Works great, smells a bit strong, though. I think it's supposed to be better than H & S.

Mrs. Savage

Reaction score
If you find that the standard over the counter shampoos aren't working you could try some of the Aesop products. It's a bit pricey but they work very well.
Like theSage & Cedae Scalp Treatment it is a botanical blend to help smooth or calm dry, itchy or flaky scalps... or.... there is also the Rose Hair & Scalp Moisturing Masque. These products you use a couple times a week instead of everyday.

paper clip

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rxcats
+1

Nizoral 2% works best. That concentration is prescription in the USA, but you can order it OTC from Canada at:

http://www.canadapharmacy.com/cart/i...o&productid=21

It contains ketoconazole which is an anti-fungal and anti-androgen. It treats the fungus that leads to flaking/drandruff as well as lowering DHT in the scalp helping prevent hairloss (from androgenetic alopecia). You may also want to consider taking a fish oil (omega-3 ***** acid) supplement. Biotin (b vitamin family) is also helpful for hair and nails when taken orally.

I use ketoconazole shampoo by prescription from a dermatologist after a diagnosis of sebhorreic (sp?) dermatitis. Cleared up dandruff, dry scalp, head itch and the red, flaky skin from my cheeks and nose. A great improvement for me.

KBW

Reaction score
anybody that uses any product on their hair they can buy in a regular store obviously doesn't care about their hair. Salon only hair care products are by far better...also I'd use Grund's hair regrowth treatment over Nioxin (it doesn't dry you out and has gotten very good reviews)

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Head and Shoulder has a dry scalp shampoo that has worked for me pretty well. I use it about once a week and the result is just as advertised. It works, is cheap, and readily available -- winning combination in my book.

PREV

Reaction score
I have dry scalp. Also, I have been noticing flakes where my eyebrows are as well as under my nose. Any suggestions how to get rid of it? I have been using selson blue and some face lotion but that only rids it temporarily.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads