• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hong Kong Tailor Report from A Suitable Wardrobe

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sorta surprised that you did not give Gordon Yao a try. He's gotten a few positive reviews here.

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One thing that is true for sure with HK tailors, if you leave it to them, you'd better be sure what they want is what you want. This applies to big and small tailoring houses in HK. They are not selling you good taste and style. They are your builder, you are the architect.

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
Strange that the article laments Chan not having Crispaire, as I commissioned a suit in an Oxford grey from the Crispaire book about 4 weeks ago.

I found that funny as well-had one fairly recent done as well. Maybe they were just out of stock.

DandySF

Reaction score
On Chan's stateside visits I've seen the types of books that the person making the report would have expected to find in the shop. I figure they must have duplicate sets of their principal books for travel and the shop, but I wonder if they do. I certainly browsed through the H&S Crispaire book on one of their tours--had to see what this much-discussed cloth was actually like. I was surprised at how stiff and coarse the cloth was.

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of the problems of the HK tailor is, they don't fix their price. They normally ask for more to tourists or to whom don't know the price.

I went to Grodon Yao shop last Aug, when he was at States, none of the fabrics book left in his shop, and actually, the shop is not fuctioning. The staff there didn't know what the shop have, didn't know the price, didn't know anything. Just ask you to come back few weeks later, when Yao was back.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow. Serious price disparity on WW Chan. I got a Scabal 120s suit in 2006 for $1300 on the Chan US visit. Either inflation is a serious *****, or they're giving significantly better prices to the US customers. I know we used to get better prices on their old tour "specials," but it sure wasn't $1000 off. And IIRC, the prices they quoted in HK and the US used to be the same for the non-specials cloth selections.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought from that Scabal bunch before in the HK shop and was charged ~USD1300, too. I recall that there were some higher priced cloths mixed in that bunch. Prices for 2-piece, 3- piece, jacket, etc. are clearly noted on the fronts of all the books in the shop, which include loads of Harrison's and H&S, including tweeds, flannels, and heavier worsteds. Chan's prices are consistently 10-20% higher than A-Man's, but not by the amount implied in the article.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Panzeraxe II
I always thought Chan was $700-$800. To be honest, even $1,300 for a traveling tailor who (I believe) doesn't offer fittings is not a good deal.

They do offer fittings.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Panzeraxe II
I was under the impression that they ship the completed suit to the client after the initial measurement stage, but offer alterations on further visits if the client is unsatisfied.

Is this incorrect?

On request, they'll bring the suit back in basted state at their next tour and do a fitting.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads