• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Collared Shirt with a Sweater?

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
So I've seen (and tried out) the look of wearing a collared button up shirt with a sweater over top (v-neck or round)... a few questions for y'all:

1. What's your impression of the style in general, just Shirt and Sweater (fit, color combos, how formal is it...)
2. What about adding a tie to the mix, so it's a shirt and tie with a sweater over?
3. Adding more to the mix, a jacket overtop with or without the tie (sports coat or a suit)... is it a passable look, trying too hard, does it make you look like a snowman...?

Thanks, and as always let's reason/speak civily

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
It's a classic look. Personally, I would (and do) only wear this look with a button down collar shirt, and certainly never with a French cuff shirt.

I'm still against ties without jackets, even if you are wearing a sweater.

untilted

Reaction score
OCBD under shetland sweater. I do it in fall/winter all the time. Sometimes with a tie (rare). Sometimes with a tweed jacket over the sweater.

traduj8.jpg

A classic William F. Buckley look IMO.

StockwellDay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
So I've seen (and tried out) the look of wearing a collared button up shirt with a sweater over top (v-neck or round)... a few questions for y'all:

1. What's your impression of the style in general, just Shirt and Sweater (fit, color combos, how formal is it...)
2. What about adding a tie to the mix, so it's a shirt and tie with a sweater over?
3. Adding more to the mix, a jacket overtop with or without the tie (sports coat or a suit)... is it a passable look, trying too hard, does it make you look like a snowman...?

Thanks, and as always let's reason/speak civily

I rock this look all the time w/ V-Necks - never w/ a tie though. If it's cold enough I'll put a sport coat on over the sweater and shirt. I don't particularly like the crew neck/ button-up combo and found myself not really wearing my crew neck sweaters anymore.

TheIdler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Answering your questions in order,

1. It's a great look, though clearly not overly formal.
2. I don't personally do this.
3. I like this very much, without a tie. If I'm wearing a jacket without a tie, having just the shirt kind of creates a large blank space. Sometimes that's cool, but sometimes a V-neck adds a perfect amount of interest.

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by untilted
OCBD under shetland sweater. I do it in fall/winter all the time. Sometimes with a tie (rare). Sometimes with a tweed jacket over the sweater.

traduj8.jpg

And sometimes with several large, prominent stains on the chest.
tounge.gif

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
It's a classic look. Personally, I would (and do) only wear this look with a button down collar shirt, and certainly never with a French cuff shirt.

I'm still against ties without jackets, even if you are wearing a sweater.

+1

kitonbrioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It the classic trad look.
The only problem I have with it that modern buildings are always heated too warm for shirt+sweater+tie+wool(or cashmere) coat+cashmere overcoat. In NYC, say, I wear cardigan sweaters to deal with heat issue.

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am wearing that right now.

Grey/Black pale striped Crewneck sweater, light lilac button down and black pin striped boot cut trousers, black polished semi-brogues.

I look nothing like William F. Buckley, but I think that's because I am not a Yalie blowhard. I think I look more like Gore Vidal in my get up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads