• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which Would You Rather Have More Of?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Money IS a consideration! That is, don't answer as if money were no object. Assume that it is. How do you spread around your limited resources?

I used to think it was better to have more ties. The logic was simple. You want the greatest possible number of combinations at the lowest possible cost. So, of the big four, you want a ton of ties, many shirts, a smattering of shoes, and a few suits.

That's the way I bought for a long time. But at some point I got sort of tired of/bored with/sated with, ties. I hardly buy them any more. I generally only buy them on sale, and only a handful a year. I find that I basically have all the colors, patterns and textures I need/want/can wear.

But shirts are different. I can't seem to get bored with them. Even the same basic concept is attractive in different permutations. Yet another blue ground white stripe? Why not!

I already have more shirts than ties. Yet I still want more shirts. I don't really want more ties. Unless I happen by one that I really just have to have, I won't get any more. I certainly don't seek them out.

Opinions?

WSW

Reaction score
Shirts. I only wear ties for work, can't get around to wearing them casually. Shirts are more useful in my wardrobe. I also get more satisfaction from shirts then ties. A new tie grows stale after 3 wearings, a shirt does not.

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As I wear the plain navy blazer a lot, I need a diverse shirt collection. I will never have enough shirts or shoes.

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But you can't have 'rather' and 'money IS a consideration' in the same thought. If money was not a consideration, than 'rather' would not be the operative word, since I would already have them.

Anyway, for me it would be suits/sportcoats #1, ties #2, shirts #3 and, believe it or not, shoes #4. Of course, maybe it's because I already DO have alot of shoes....

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RIDER
But you can't have 'rather' and 'money IS a consideration' in the same thought. If money was not a consideration, than 'rather' would not be the operative word, since I would already have them.

confused.gif

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since I work in a business casual environment and oftentimes go tieless, I'm going to have to go with shirts. Ties are nice for when I wear them, but, I'm kind of "whatever" about them.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
The tie is being routed. I thought this would actually be a contest.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
The tie is being routed. I thought this would actually be a contest.

Maybe it might be time to try this topic: shirts or shoes.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Shirts, because the range of variations is much greater than with ties. With shirts, you can choose from an almost unlimited selection of fabrics and combine them with stylistic elements like different collars, cuffs, and button types and configurations. Also, fit is an issue with shirts, where it is not with ties. Ties also often come to one unbidden as gifts.

I think initially, the fewer shirts/more ties strategy works well, but there comes a point where the balance tips in the opposite direction. The more you care about clothes and your appearance, the faster that point comes.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Since I work in a business casual environment and oftentimes go tieless, I'm going to have to go with shirts. Ties are nice for when I wear them, but, I'm kind of "whatever" about them.

i am plus 1 with this, apart from the few Rubinacci ties i picked up i can never seem to find 1's i like so i just cant wait to get back to london and get some more!

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Wow. Apparently I'm in the great minority. I have a lot more ties than shirts, and that makes sense in my mind. Perhaps this poll means I need to have my head examined.

Ties are much cheaper and much easier to store, and resource allocation is to be a consideration in the poll.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the idea of ties, but not the reality. Simple fact is that I wear a shirt every day (sometimes multiple shirts - thank you, DC weather) and will wear each shirt multiple times a year, but have could not possibly wear all of my ties sequentially in the next 2 or 3 years.

Originally Posted by AlanC
Ties are much cheaper and much easier to store, and resource allocation is to be a consideration in the poll.

Unless, of course, you don't wear a tie every day. Or even once every week.

This is why I've been buying denim and selling suits.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads