• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Technology Climax.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So far as I am concerned--aside from the invention of the internet--technology climaxed at 1969.

It seems most of what is today touted as new or superior are simply cheap and inefficient rehashes of the old products. Take the fancy DSLRs and their numerous functions, of which I'm quite sure the majority is useless. Their Rube Goldberg-like complexity eschews the whole idea of an elegantly simple tool.

Also, cars; an air-cooled Porsche engine, Mercedes-Benz straight six, or a 6 cylinder Bristol engine are perfectly adequate.

Most of what is marketed today are inferior quality things with schlocky designs and disproportionate price-tags.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
So far as I am concerned--aside from the invention of the internet--technology climaxed at 1969.

It seems most of what is today touted as new or superior are simply cheap and inefficient rehashes of the old products. Take the fancy DSLRs and their numerous functions, of which I'm quite sure the majority is useless. Their Rube Goldberg-like complexity eschews the whole idea of an elegantly simple tool.

Also, cars; a water-cooled Porsche engine, Mercedes-Benz straight six, or a 6 cylinder Bristol engine are perfectly adequate.

Most of what is marketed today are inferior quality things with schlocky designs and disproportionate price-tags.

LK... Forget the internet, you realize that box you're typing in to would have filled a few dozen football fields in '69 and still not even ben close to as powerful as what you're using, right? And I won't even start on medical technology, etc. You're so far off here that I don't even know why I'm bothering.

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Also, cars; a water-cooled Porsche engine, Mercedes-Benz straight six, or a 6 cylinder Bristol engine are perfectly adequate.

If anyone has ever wondered if your thoughts were completely idiotic...they may now rest assured that they are.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
LK... Forget the internet, you realize that box you're typing in to would have filled a few dozen football fields in '69 and still not even ben close to as powerful as what you're using, right? And I won't even start on medical technology, etc. You're so far off here that I don't even know why I'm bothering.
I don't use a desktop; I use a controversial Apple Powerbook. I'm sure medical technology has exceeded what was existent in 1969, but still I wouldn't mind living circa 1969.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Faded501s
If anyone has ever wondered if your thoughts were completely idiotic...they may now rest assured that they are.
So what do you call the groups of people who use a '60s car as their daily driver or use a straight razor everyday or use a Leica rangefinder? There is a reason certain things are called classic, and it's not because of whimsy. Granted, I may have been presumptuous in saying that all technology climaxed in '69, however there is a distinct part that did. I have no use for pointless gadgets or the unappealing whirl of an electric car.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
I know you hate it, but the use of advanced polymers for lightweighting in automobiles is one of the things that has allowed for greater fuel efficiency and performance.

3500gt_superleggera_emblem.jpg

G79

Reaction score
69! Nice time , fewer drugs to learn! Ah well, that apart, medical technology has made immense strides in terms of modern medical therapy. I mean like, baloon angioplasty, newer drugs for cancer, medical imagin technologies etc.

Im not learned enough to comment on other technologies but med science sure has progressed a long way since then

Peace be

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So what do you call the groups of people who use a '60s car as their daily driver or use a straight razor everyday or use a Leica rangefinder?

Cavemen?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by G79
69! Nice time , fewer drugs to learn! Ah well, that apart, medical technology has made immense strides in terms of modern medical therapy. I mean like, baloon angioplasty, newer drugs for cancer, medical imagin technologies etc. Im not learned enough to comment on other technologies but med science sure has progressed a long way since then Peace be
Yes, nobody is denying that medical technology has far progressed beyond its 1969 stage; however, another question relevant to doctors, is whether technology acts as a potential handicap?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Cavemen?
Artisan fans. The mainstream men's grooming industry is an extraordinary marketing success--based on multi-bladed razors and cheap foam--and becoming more and more profitable by touting itself as New and Improved! or something similarly hyperbolic. For a board of men who are interested in craftsmanship, I'm surprised at this complacency.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, cars; a water-cooled Porsche engine

Porsche didn't start using water-cooled engines in their road-going cars until the mid 70s.

Another trap that's easy to fall into is that we live with everything contemporaneous to us, so the schlock hasn't had time to fall by the wayside yet and seems to overwhelm anything worth keeping.

--Andre

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
Porsche didn't start using water-cooled engines in their road-going cars until the mid 70s. Another trap that's easy to fall into is that we live with everything contemporaneous to us, so the schlock hasn't had time to fall by the wayside yet and seems to overwhelm anything worth keeping. --Andre
Why did I say water-cooled; I meant air-cooled. Yes, I can understand that sentiment; however, it seems the highest quality of contemporary products inevitably reference something from the past, whether in appearance, function, or some other element, which I find interesting.

drake

Reaction score
I have mixed feelings on this as a Engineer. On one hand I am really passionate about creating technology but at the same time I don't really like using most of it. For example I don't own a cell phone, I think classrooms should only have chalk and chalkboard, and calculators really rot our mind.

On the other hand I love the fact that my car thinks two steps ahead of me to ensure that even if I do something stupid I will walk away with all my limbs.

It's a love-hate relationship at the end of the day I suppose. I love creating and playing with it but I just don't know if it makes peoples lives better... I know I am happiest in very low-tech environments.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes, nobody is denying that medical technology has far progressed beyond its 1969 stage; however, another question relevant to doctors, is whether technology acts as a potential handicap?

It is a handicap if you practice defensive medicine as you do in the states, then basically a person will have a lot more investigations, but then you will have a better chance of having the right diagnosis quicker. So overall I'd much rather have access to a multidetector CT scanner than a plain X ray box.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics