• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spectator shoes.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I hardly see anyone wear them and yet almost every high-end manufacturer inevitably has a spectator model in their seasonal catalogs.

Is there some sort of historical prestige which accords the spectator a permanent place in shoemakers' catalogs? I can't imagine they sell that well.

ATM

Reaction score
Maybe they keep only one pair of each size in their warehouses just in case.
mwink[1].gif

Harrydog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I hardly see anyone wear them and yet almost every high-end manufacturer inevitably has a spectator model in their seasonal catalogs.

Is there some sort of historical prestige which accords the spectator a permanent place in shoemakers' catalogs? I can't imagine they sell that well.

I often wear spectators as seen in the two examples below,

img0137ke8.jpg

C&J for Peals. Love these shoes.

And a Borgioli take on the spectator.

img0135qw5.jpg

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own a few and never enjoy wearing them. They sort of sit in my closet as curiosities.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Harrydog

img0137ke8.jpg

C&J for Peals. Love these shoes

They do indeed look nice.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm sure we're in the minority here though.

I used to have a pair of Spanish white calfskin and blue suede spectators and I just bought a pair of Moreschi cognac and caramel spectator wingtips; and yet our own purchases don't represent mass demographics.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I bought this pair of Church's almost a year ago, and been wearing it regulary (save for rainy days) in casual situations. I even wear them with dark denim trousers. I guess it is just a matter of opinion, but I've been liking spectators since way back when and buying this pair was a treat for me.
shoes002dm7.jpg

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Harrydog

img0137ke8.jpg

C&J for Peals. Love these shoes.

Those look really similar to my N&Ls:

specsby6.jpg

Are the numbers inside yours anything like "8321 10E 297 / K18451"? I'm still not sure who made these, but they are excellent with channeled soles and very good finishing all around.

I wore these when I was in Hawaii in January. I keep meaning to wear them with jeans as well, but really just forget. I got compliments the one time I did wear them.

Edit: upon further review, it appears 297 is a C&J last, and the finishing is consistent with C&J handgrades. So I guess that does it.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have several pair and wear them during the summer season. Usually with linen trousers.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get a loot of looks in the street and everywhere when I wear my spectators... If you are looking to turn heads they are the ones...

Reaction score
OK, I'm confused.... (doesn't take a lot)

What denotes that a shoe is a spectator? I thought that they would be a brogue shoe of two differing shades of colours.

But, iammatt posted a picture of these beauties, and I have seen similar, which were referred to as 'spectators'. These (this style) I wouldn't hesitate to wear, but, the two tone brogues is a big no no in my book and should only be worn with a zoot suit. (IMO).

Anyone for quick history lesson on 'spectator' shoes?

TSC

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads