Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger... Last post on Today at 10:36 pm in Classic Menswear
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 7/18/16 at 4:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on Yesterday at 10:00 am in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 1470post #22036 of 483126/17/13 at 11:56pmThread Starterpost #22037 of 483126/18/13 at 5:35am
I've never been a fan of ostrich, but I have to say that strap looked magnificent.
As for the Big D, it's a beauty that never fades. :)Quote:
+1 Two iconic chronos, but so different in price point and style that they definitely should share a home.
It's one of several top Rolexes I'd like to own...but definitely up there!Quote:
I fear that might be beyond me, my friend. But I must say, your aunt is looking wonderfully well, isn't she?
Edit: GDL, just saw your post...love that GO!post #22038 of 483126/18/13 at 5:44ampost #22039 of 483126/18/13 at 6:25ampost #22040 of 483126/18/13 at 9:00amAh! The original watch appreciator has dropped by for a visit!
And just like that, the gdl vanishes again....
Speaking of watches with coffee photos, I'm not a big Milgauss fan, but I really liked this recent shot from PG. Thought it looked good on the black NATO.
Some of you probably still follow his (mainly cycling and culinary) adventures:post #22041 of 483126/18/13 at 9:05am^^ great watch, but i like it better on the oyster band personally. ^^
sorry to keep barraging you all with pics of my semi kind of new watch, but i took some DSLR pics and wanted to share, forgive my narcissism.
as newcommer pointed out, the faceting on the case and lugs of some of the JLCs is amazing. dont really notice it unless you are close up, but its there all right, and so beautiful imo.
ill leave the strap and lugs pics unspoilered, and the rest of the bunch spoilered.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)post #22042 of 483126/18/13 at 10:16amHa, I miss the old mostexerent. Of course, I am happy that PG has found himself a lady friend and some new hobbies, but Rapha does not exactly stir me.
As for the Milgauss... I like it on the black NATO when looking at it in a vacuum, but I feel like the NATO would just add more bulk to an already bulks case. At the same time, the PCLs on the Milgauss bother me. So I guess it is a no-win for me! I really like the Milgauss, but I think I would get the bracelet brushed.
And Stitch: I really, really enjoyed the pictures. Especially of the Squadra case. Pictures generally fail to show how refined the case looks. Feel free to barrage away.post #22043 of 483126/18/13 at 10:31amQuote:
so glad you enjoyed them. i had a lot of fun taking the pics, but it was hard culling the selection down from 50+ pics.
the case really is superb in so many ways, i love it.
i think i will post maybe one more pic tomorrow and then take a break.post #22044 of 483126/18/13 at 10:46ampost #22045 of 483126/18/13 at 12:22pmQuote:
i LOVE the dial.
it has kind of a mate finish around the edge where the hour numbers are, with a shiny textured minute track and a "curtain" style guilloche in the center. the seconds sub-dial is set down beneath the watch dial and has its own track that goes around it. as well the date and AM/PM windows are set down and also have 3 "steps" leading down from the highest part of the dial to the actual wheels. and then you have the skeleton second time zone hand. there is a ton of very detailed leveling and balance to the watch that is not really picked upon at first, because the watch appears to be so clean, simple and symmetrical.
best seen here:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
a lot of this i had not even picked up upon until i actually had the watch. i bought it without even trying it on. only saw it in catalogues and online. as soon as JLC came out with the squadra i knew it was exactly what i wanted. and i got even more than i was expecting. it is to me a perfect watch. yes im a fanboi. dont eve care.
as to the story behind the purchase, at the time i had my B&M capeland, an ebel 1911 big date and a rolex datejust. i wanted something from a manufacture with a manufacture movement, something from a brand that was kind of a big boy. i wanted something with an exhibition case-back and deployant clasp. something iconic, something with a complication, something exactly symmetrical, and something dressy and clean. this fit the bill.
i sold the ebel on ebay and got about 700, just because i had no interest in it anymore, and ponied up for the rest. i got it from an AD that we have a connection with. this was maybe 7 years ago? as favor they gave it to me at 10% over their cost, so it was a steal. i think at the time it cost me about 3500 +/-, and now i think MSRP is like 8150, so i did pretty well i think. i am yet to come across a deal like again, BNIB from an AD.
the more i talk about this watch the happier i get.post #22046 of 483126/18/13 at 12:39pmpost #22047 of 483126/18/13 at 12:45pmpost #22048 of 483126/18/13 at 12:59pmpost #22049 of 483126/18/13 at 1:08pmpost #22050 of 483126/18/13 at 1:40pm
This thread is locked
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality,... 1 minute ago
- › The Look goes on... 4 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 5 minutes ago
- › 5th Annual Thrift Thread Gift Exchange Unveiling 5 minutes ago
- › The Official RRL Thread 6 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 9 minutes ago
- › ALFRED SARGENT Appreciation: Handgrade, Exclusive, etc. 14 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 15 minutes ago
- › Stephan Schneider "Dark" Play crewneck sweater size 6 21 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 22 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...