or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Bespoke Shooting Suit- recommendations
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bespoke Shooting Suit- recommendations - Page 4

post #46 of 52
My father used to hunt for wild pigs. The dogs would sometimes be very injured, once or twice seriously so. But never fatally.
post #47 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post



To sort of return to the original question, almost no-one even in Britain now requires a traditional shooting suit or jacket. It is an anachronism now bordering on affectation. That is no reason not to own one (I have a twenty year old SAB OTR jacket with lovely "action back" shoulder pleats that will probably outlive me), but on almost all shoots the vast majority of "guns" (= shooters) will be in tweed shooting coats (not jackets), wax jackets, or the more modern Harkila/etc gore-texy stuff. If you want to fit in, that is the way to go. Turn up in an obviously new 3-piece shooting suit with a shiny cased pair of Purdeys and everyone willl think you are: (i) trying too hard; and (ii) an American employee of Goldman Sachs; or (iii) some other variety of uncouth dickhead.

That's about what I figured. I made a comment to that effect earlier in this thread.

As to the matter of never chasing a wild pig, what about the grand old sport of pick sticking? Lord Robert Baden-Powell (of Boy Scout fame) wrote his first book on this topic. I note that in Spain the humaniacs are trying to abolish pig sticking because it is so "cruel." Shooting wild boar with firearms will remain legal. I can't see how spearing a pig is any more or less cruel than shooting one. And, yes, I have chased wounded wild boars into thick cover. I regret to state that I was armed with a slug-loaded shotgun, not a knife or spear, which diminishes my macho quotient, I know.
post #48 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLibourel View Post

Lord Robert Baden-Powell (of Boy Scout fame) wrote his first book on this topic [pig sticking].
Heroes are excempt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLibourel View Post

which diminishes my macho quotient, I know.
Exactly
post #49 of 52
Just to pour more gasoline on the fire, I'm going to post this link here. Discussions elsewhere on the forum have led me to rut through Davide Taub's blog: http://davidetaub.blogspot.com/2011/09/corduroy-sports-jacket-w-shooting.html

This is actually very cool, though I don't think I could get away with it personally. What I would really like to see is this guy design costumes for a film.
post #50 of 52
No offense but even though you might be a distinguished firearms journalist (though I much prefer Skeeter, Bill Jordan, Taffin and Milek) you seriously need to work on your comprehension skills, or at least, snap out of the journalistic art of making generalizations, or sweeping main points under the rug if it suits your argument.

I've addressed your 'old-is-gold' and 'just-because-some-esteemed-figure-doesn't-use-it-means-it-has-no-functional-purpose' fallacy in the posts below.

I'd have preferred if you enlightened me with the massive amount of knowledge you have acquired as a firearms journalist, instead of going off-tangent on a slip, and harping on it afterwards despite me clarifying why it might have happened. But perhaps, you might need to re-read what I wrote more carefully.

I also believe that my points are pretty straightforward and speak directly to issues you've raised.

(Let me know if you need me to do a point-by-point clarification against your posts if my formatting of excerpts of what I wrote isn't sufficiently clear to you, a most distinguished firearms journalist).
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLibourel View Post

Thanks for the vindication. I do have to wonder if anyone who makes a gaffe of the magnitude of saying "drawing a gun" when he obviously means mounting a shotgun can be much of a shooting man either.

I might mention I have known many of the pioneers and eminent figures of the sport of handgun hunting. To the best of my knowledge, none of them wore a Norfolk jacket or anything similar while engaging in this pursuit.

My Grulla is indeed a straight-gripped 12 bore but has 28-inch (IC & M) barrels. Alas, it does not have the assisted opening feature, which doubtless reduces me to the ranks of the proles (where I probably belong anyway).

On why slips/blunders/gaffes occur (that you conveniently ignored, or couldn't comprehend well enough to acknowledge):
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboysdontcryy View Post

I find your raising of this matter borderline weird. When it seems your logic is problematic on your main point, you then try to quibble over a slip which is not even tangentially related. If I mean to use a forum the way I do legal work, I'd proof read my posts many times. Truth is, I don't, this is a source of entertainment and thus, slips occasionally occur because I happened to be thinking about something else when I'm writing. You've never made an unintentional slip? Maybe you have but nobody bothers to point it out to you since it's quite farfetched to do so if it isn't the main point.

Also, was wondering if you know that handguns have been used for quite some time now when hunting mid-sized games (even big game). Should the gun be drawn then?

If for the record, you insist on knowing why that slip happened: I can't say for certain why, but from my memory, I happened to be multi-tasking and chatting with an American about football and also about Obama's gun-control strategy though I do not recall what exactly when I was replying. Does that satisfy you? And it might be well be because I was thinking about guns (note I didn't say draw your shotgun ...)

For the record, I do know that you mount your shotgun, I served in the military for a couple of years.

On an unrelated note, these days another technique that tailors use is to have a single piece back with multiple darts in them to give allowance and space.



On the discussion of performance-enhancing features:


Quote:
Originally Posted by JLibourel View Post

Among other sources, I checked Game Shooting by the eminent British gunmaker, shooting authority and forensic ballistician Robert Churchill (of "XXV" fame). In most of the illustrations he was wearing a garish-looking shooting suit in a bold houndstooth tweed, complete with breeches and a matching cap. It did not have the pleated, bi-swing back, and this was well after they had come into vogue.

As far as enhancing performance goes, Lord Walsingham and Lord Ripon are still, I think, ranked as the two greatest game shots of all time, and they managed without the bi-swing back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboysdontcryy View Post

You're missing the point -- just because a feature wasn't included (long ago before tailors decided to innovate) doesn't mean that it's inclusion doesn't increase performance, no matter how marginal. Who's to say that Ripon wouldn't have shot even more game had his tailor decided to add pleats?

Just because you don't think so, and it seems like you don't have one with a bi-swing back (gauging from your posts, I think it's sufficient for me to infer so), doesn't mean that it doesn't aid performance. Logically, think about it, extra room created by the addition of pleats is for show? If you think so, be my guest.

To give you another example -- it's considered correct form not to have vents for a dinner suit. Sure, people got by. Comfortable? I don't think so.


Oh, btw: I think that in the 19th century, people played tennis with wooden racquets, competitive swimmers didn't wear goggles, sprinters didn't wear spiked track shoes, old golf clubs were made of wood. You might even find pictures of famous and world-class athletes of that era sporting such gear.

Edited by bboysdontcryy - 4/11/13 at 7:42am
post #51 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboysdontcryy View Post



On the discussion of performance-enhancing features:



 

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menstrual_cycle#Nightlighting_and_the_moon

post #52 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacking jacket View Post

You NEVER EVER chase a wild pig because it is far too dangerous, that's what the dogs do. Poor dogs.

Just encountering a wild pig is risky.

I suspect this depends upon mood. I've been within a few feet of wild pigs on a couple of occasions.
Pig mood swings (PMS)
Or whether you are accompanied by dogs (partic. hunting dogs)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Bespoke Shooting Suit- recommendations