Related Forum Threads
- Thoughts and opinions on Gray SC, Pocket square and tie combos........ Last post on 4/6/14 at 11:56pm in Classic Menswear
- Going to a wedding: Need help picking outfit! Last post on 8/10/11 at 11:35am in Classic Menswear
- In Praise of Gray ... (Spin-Off) Last post on 7/7/14 at 4:30am in Classic Menswear
- FS: Consolidation of Blazer, Suits, Coats Pants & Ties (Price Drop 4/27) Last post on 4/28/11 at 6:09pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- Friday WAYWRN Challenge - Best SC with Jeans - Who did it best? VOTE!!!! Last post on 2/19/11 at 1:14pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gentry NYC
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
What does "Cocktail Attire" mean? - Page 3
Styleforum Top Pickspost #32 of 422/4/12 at 12:50pmHehe, last event I went to was a breast cancer cocktail thing, hence the pink overload in my last post. Thinking about it, Feb is I believe breast cancer awareness month so I should avoid answering emails to avoid thus years fundraisers. Boys and Girls Club? Personally I'd tone it down, but I am remembering Hugh Grant in the movie About a Boy....post #33 of 422/4/12 at 3:32pmQuote:
This is also how Debrett's and Emily Post define cocktail attire.
post #34 of 422/4/12 at 3:35pmQuote:Originally Posted by rajesh06
I have been invited to a wedding reception in mid-May and the dress is described as "cocktail attire."
What the hell does that mean?
Wedding: Family-only; a week prior to reception
Location: Loft space in Manhattan
Guests: 100-150 (guess)
Time: 7PM (Saturday)
Food: hors d’oeuvres stations
So what should I wear?
Wear a suit or a jacket.post #35 of 422/12/12 at 1:42pmpost #36 of 426/16/12 at 2:50pmpost #37 of 426/16/12 at 8:25pmQuote:
Really! I posed that question in AAAC some time last year and never got a reasonably straight answer. The above makes perfect sense and since I do have a black suit . . .post #38 of 4210/16/12 at 11:07amQuote:Ol Sarge,
I wrote an article specifically about cocktail attire for men, that you may find helpful. Since it is much more flexible than black tie, there are more options than just a black suit.post #39 of 4210/16/12 at 11:48ampost #40 of 423/21/13 at 3:52pmpost #41 of 423/21/13 at 4:02pmpost #42 of 423/22/13 at 4:47pm
It means suit. And tie. Period, end of story.
And even if other attendees are dressed like they just got off the golf course, you will feel better and classier being a bit over dressed than under dressed. It's a wedding for gosh sakes!
And please no black suit ever--unless it's a tuxedo.
Black suits are strictly for a waiter or an undertaker, and have no business being worn by "civilians." They won't make you look more formal/cocktail appropriate, but they will make you look washed out, because no one except Morticia Addams looks good in a black suit.
If you have any doubt, call any Savile Row tailor, the epitome of elegance and propriety. They will argue vehemently that one should not wear a black suit, except in formal wear.
End of my rant. Have a great time!
- What does "Cocktail Attire" mean?
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › 2014 ncaa=Enjoy Southern Utah vs Fresno State Live 20 seconds ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 35 seconds ago
- › 2014 ncaa=Enjoy California vs Arizona Live Stream 1 minute ago
- › LuxeSwap - Official Affiliate Thread 1 minute ago
- › 2014 ncaa=Enjoy Idaho vs Ohio Live Stream 1 minute ago
- › What did you eat last night for dinner? 2 minutes ago
- › The New Official Wolf vs. Goat Thread 3 minutes ago
- › 2014 ncaa=Enjoy Ball State vs Toledo Live Stream 3 minutes ago
- › The Needles / Nepenthes Discussion Thread - Rebuild, Rough and... 3 minutes ago
- › 2014 ncaa=Enjoy Appalachian State vs Southern Miss Live 3 minutes ago
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Best Website For The Movies?
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans)