Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 7:43 pm in Classic Menswear
- Thoughts and opinions on Gray SC, Pocket square and tie combos........ Last post on 4/6/14 at 11:56pm in Classic Menswear
- Going to a wedding: Need help picking outfit! Last post on 8/10/11 at 11:35am in Classic Menswear
- In Praise of Gray ... (Spin-Off) Last post on 7/7/14 at 4:30am in Classic Menswear
- FS: Consolidation of Blazer, Suits, Coats Pants & Ties (Price Drop 4/27) Last post on 4/28/11 at 6:09pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gagliano & Company
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Urban Fine Socks
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
What does "Cocktail Attire" mean? - Page 3
Styleforum Top Pickspost #32 of 422/4/12 at 12:50pmHehe, last event I went to was a breast cancer cocktail thing, hence the pink overload in my last post. Thinking about it, Feb is I believe breast cancer awareness month so I should avoid answering emails to avoid thus years fundraisers. Boys and Girls Club? Personally I'd tone it down, but I am remembering Hugh Grant in the movie About a Boy....post #33 of 422/4/12 at 3:32pmQuote:
This is also how Debrett's and Emily Post define cocktail attire.
post #34 of 422/4/12 at 3:35pmQuote:Originally Posted by rajesh06
I have been invited to a wedding reception in mid-May and the dress is described as "cocktail attire."
What the hell does that mean?
Wedding: Family-only; a week prior to reception
Location: Loft space in Manhattan
Guests: 100-150 (guess)
Time: 7PM (Saturday)
Food: hors d’oeuvres stations
So what should I wear?
Wear a suit or a jacket.post #35 of 422/12/12 at 1:42pmpost #36 of 426/16/12 at 2:50pmpost #37 of 426/16/12 at 8:25pmQuote:
Really! I posed that question in AAAC some time last year and never got a reasonably straight answer. The above makes perfect sense and since I do have a black suit . . .post #38 of 4210/16/12 at 11:07amQuote:Ol Sarge,
I wrote an article specifically about cocktail attire for men, that you may find helpful. Since it is much more flexible than black tie, there are more options than just a black suit.post #39 of 4210/16/12 at 11:48ampost #40 of 423/21/13 at 3:52pmpost #41 of 423/21/13 at 4:02pmpost #42 of 423/22/13 at 4:47pm
It means suit. And tie. Period, end of story.
And even if other attendees are dressed like they just got off the golf course, you will feel better and classier being a bit over dressed than under dressed. It's a wedding for gosh sakes!
And please no black suit ever--unless it's a tuxedo.
Black suits are strictly for a waiter or an undertaker, and have no business being worn by "civilians." They won't make you look more formal/cocktail appropriate, but they will make you look washed out, because no one except Morticia Addams looks good in a black suit.
If you have any doubt, call any Savile Row tailor, the epitome of elegance and propriety. They will argue vehemently that one should not wear a black suit, except in formal wear.
End of my rant. Have a great time!
- What does "Cocktail Attire" mean?
Styleforum Top Picks
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › FABIO QUARANTA Wool "Denim" Jacket size 38 5 seconds ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 7 seconds ago
- › PATRIK ERVELL Alpaca Knits size M 17 seconds ago
- › Eleventy Linen/Cotton Jackets size 40 and 42 27 seconds ago
- › NBA 2014-2015 Season Thread 42 seconds ago
- › Crockett & Jones MTO Central 54 seconds ago
- › Reasons why New York Sucks 1 minute ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 1 minute ago
- › Stephan Schneider. You'll Always Find Me In The Kitchen At Parties. 1 minute ago
- › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Porn Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › The Styleforum Brief: January 2015
- › Styleforum Interviews Yasuto Kamoshita of...
- › Sneakers for Boot People
- › The Pleasures and Perils of the Long Coat
- › Professor Fabulous Returns to the Closet
- › Why Styleforum Matters
- › The Pittilogues: Pitti Uomo 87, Day 0
- › The Styleforum Brief: December 2014
- › What I Learned from Slim Denim
- › How to Smell Fabulous for the Holidays