Related Forum Threads
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 2:48 am in Classic Menswear
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 2:19 am in Classic Menswear
- Thoughts and opinions on Gray SC, Pocket square and tie combos........ Last post on 4/6/14 at 11:56pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- Deals of the Week: October 5th, 2015Last edited: Yesterday
- In Passing: Style on the Streets of Hong KongLast edited: 10/1/15
- Autumn Fabrics: TweedLast edited: 9/1/15
- Mohair: A Little-Known Hot-Weather ClothLast edited: 8/10/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- H.N. White
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Wurkin Stiffs
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
What does "Cocktail Attire" mean? - Page 3
Styleforum Top Pickspost #32 of 422/4/12 at 12:50pmHehe, last event I went to was a breast cancer cocktail thing, hence the pink overload in my last post. Thinking about it, Feb is I believe breast cancer awareness month so I should avoid answering emails to avoid thus years fundraisers. Boys and Girls Club? Personally I'd tone it down, but I am remembering Hugh Grant in the movie About a Boy....post #33 of 422/4/12 at 3:32pmQuote:
This is also how Debrett's and Emily Post define cocktail attire.
post #34 of 422/4/12 at 3:35pmQuote:Originally Posted by rajesh06
I have been invited to a wedding reception in mid-May and the dress is described as "cocktail attire."
What the hell does that mean?
Wedding: Family-only; a week prior to reception
Location: Loft space in Manhattan
Guests: 100-150 (guess)
Time: 7PM (Saturday)
Food: hors d’oeuvres stations
So what should I wear?
Wear a suit or a jacket.post #35 of 422/12/12 at 1:42pmpost #36 of 426/16/12 at 2:50pmpost #37 of 426/16/12 at 8:25pmQuote:
Really! I posed that question in AAAC some time last year and never got a reasonably straight answer. The above makes perfect sense and since I do have a black suit . . .post #38 of 4210/16/12 at 11:07amQuote:Ol Sarge,
I wrote an article specifically about cocktail attire for men, that you may find helpful. Since it is much more flexible than black tie, there are more options than just a black suit.post #39 of 4210/16/12 at 11:48ampost #40 of 423/21/13 at 3:52pmpost #41 of 423/21/13 at 4:02pmpost #42 of 423/22/13 at 4:47pm
It means suit. And tie. Period, end of story.
And even if other attendees are dressed like they just got off the golf course, you will feel better and classier being a bit over dressed than under dressed. It's a wedding for gosh sakes!
And please no black suit ever--unless it's a tuxedo.
Black suits are strictly for a waiter or an undertaker, and have no business being worn by "civilians." They won't make you look more formal/cocktail appropriate, but they will make you look washed out, because no one except Morticia Addams looks good in a black suit.
If you have any doubt, call any Savile Row tailor, the epitome of elegance and propriety. They will argue vehemently that one should not wear a black suit, except in formal wear.
End of my rant. Have a great time!
- What does "Cocktail Attire" mean?
Styleforum Top Picks
- Deals of the Week: October 5th, 2015
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 7 seconds ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 12 seconds ago
- › The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread 27 seconds ago
- › Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread 2 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 2 minutes ago
- › Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general 3 minutes ago
- › Carmina burgundy punched cap toe, Rain last, Tomir sole 3 minutes ago
- › Enzo Bonafe Handmade Shoes. 4 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 5 minutes ago
- › Santoni Shoe Appreciation Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Christopher Ward C60 Trident Pro Auto by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Deals of the Week: October 5th, 2015
- › In Passing: Style on the Streets of Hong Kong
- › Deals of the Week, September 21, 2015
- › The Buyer's Guide to Fall Jackets
- › Why Flight Jackets Make the Best Autumn...
- › Shirt Jackets: A Study in Indecision
- › Autumn Fabrics: Tweed
- › Announcing the winner of the Kent Wang...
- › Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
- › Mohair: A Little-Known Hot-Weather Cloth