Related Forum Threads
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 9:59 am in Classic Menswear
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Yesterday at 10:59 am in Classic Menswear
- Thoughts and opinions on Gray SC, Pocket square and tie combos........ Last post on 4/6/14 at 11:56pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- Deals of the Week: October 5th, 2015Last edited: 10/6/15
- Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for Under $800Last edited: 4/26/16
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any WeddingLast edited: 4/25/16
- What shade of grey should my wedding suit be?Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Grant Stone
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
What does "Cocktail Attire" mean? - Page 3post #32 of 422/4/12 at 12:50pmHehe, last event I went to was a breast cancer cocktail thing, hence the pink overload in my last post. Thinking about it, Feb is I believe breast cancer awareness month so I should avoid answering emails to avoid thus years fundraisers. Boys and Girls Club? Personally I'd tone it down, but I am remembering Hugh Grant in the movie About a Boy....post #33 of 422/4/12 at 3:32pmQuote:
This is also how Debrett's and Emily Post define cocktail attire.
post #34 of 422/4/12 at 3:35pmQuote:Originally Posted by rajesh06
I have been invited to a wedding reception in mid-May and the dress is described as "cocktail attire."
What the hell does that mean?
Wedding: Family-only; a week prior to reception
Location: Loft space in Manhattan
Guests: 100-150 (guess)
Time: 7PM (Saturday)
Food: hors d’oeuvres stations
So what should I wear?
Wear a suit or a jacket.post #35 of 422/12/12 at 1:42pmpost #36 of 426/16/12 at 2:50pmpost #37 of 426/16/12 at 8:25pmQuote:
Really! I posed that question in AAAC some time last year and never got a reasonably straight answer. The above makes perfect sense and since I do have a black suit . . .post #38 of 4210/16/12 at 11:07amQuote:Ol Sarge,
I wrote an article specifically about cocktail attire for men, that you may find helpful. Since it is much more flexible than black tie, there are more options than just a black suit.post #39 of 4210/16/12 at 11:48ampost #40 of 423/21/13 at 3:52pmpost #41 of 423/21/13 at 4:02pmpost #42 of 423/22/13 at 4:47pm
It means suit. And tie. Period, end of story.
And even if other attendees are dressed like they just got off the golf course, you will feel better and classier being a bit over dressed than under dressed. It's a wedding for gosh sakes!
And please no black suit ever--unless it's a tuxedo.
Black suits are strictly for a waiter or an undertaker, and have no business being worn by "civilians." They won't make you look more formal/cocktail appropriate, but they will make you look washed out, because no one except Morticia Addams looks good in a black suit.
If you have any doubt, call any Savile Row tailor, the epitome of elegance and propriety. They will argue vehemently that one should not wear a black suit, except in formal wear.
End of my rant. Have a great time!
- Deals of the Week: October 5th, 2015
- › Why Hillary will be the next POTUS 34 seconds ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 1 minute ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 3 minutes ago
- › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here... 3 minutes ago
- › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** 7 minutes ago
- › Corneliani Collection Light Grey Windowpane Patch Pocket Jacket 38R 7 minutes ago
- › Crockett & Jones MTO Central 8 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 8 minutes ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 9 minutes ago
- › Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion 14 minutes ago
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Luigi Bianchi Rough Heavy Cotton Twill Blazer Yellow by robxznyc
- › Sage de Cret Patchwork Wool Bomber Jacket by robxznyc
- › WLG by Giorgio Brato Brown Nubuck Bomber Leather Jacket by robxznyc
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding
- › What to Wear to (Almost) Any Wedding
- › Ron Rider's comprehensive Shoe Care Guide
- › AE fit & sizing help
- › 5 of the best Groomsmen’s gifts