Originally Posted by why
Some general things:
1. Why care about people you don't know so much that you feel it necessary to defend them over the Internet? It's equally stupid and pointless.
2. This forum is a place to post thoughts and ideas. You might not like some. Oh well. Feel free to disagree. In some cases there isn't much opportunity for discussion.
3. Being kind doesn't preclude someone from also being creepy. Some of the biggest creeps are kind.
1. wrong. when someone acts like an asshole and decides to make significantly insulting remarks about another person, particularly unwarranted and unnecessary ones, it is not only not stupid and pointless to defend them, it is the polite and right thing to do.
i have no intention of changing your mind, that is not the point. the post itself is the point. in this great big world, whether it is in person, on the phone, internet or any other forum, if someone decides to be a jerk, the right thing to do, is say, hey, you are being a jerk, especially when being a jerk in a way that is hurtful to others. and provide some defense to the person who was insulted for no good reason.
if someone here came along and dropped a huge shit on you, would you not enjoy someone coming to your side. if you not, you are either lying to yourself, or a very unique individual.
2. this is indeed a place to post all kinds of ideas. but again, just because we have free speech, does not give us the opportunity to act like a dick, with impunity. i was not implying that there is room for discussion (though clearly there is). i was saying that just because you said, hey i know i just make a shit-head post, please dont comment or defend the people i just shat on, does not mean that people have to abide by that. just as you had a right to post your idea, whether or not people agree, i had a right to reply to it, whether or not you agree.
3. that is true. i was saying that i do not think they are creepy, and on top of that, they are kind, and thus further undeserving of being disparaged as such.
bt dubs, calling them out not by name was a HUGE ass of a move. as if people would not know who you meant and you were sparing them some pain and or humiliation.